Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: DNC

Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker
    Like Sheepshead said, any conjecture about a president dying is extremely unlikely.
    You're saying that a man that would be 72 when he takes office is "extremely unlikely" to die? Is it unlikely? Yes. But at his age, don't tell me that it's out of the question.
    Would you care to put a percentage on it--McCain dying in say 1 year, 2 years, 4 years of taking office? Rule out assassination on the grounds that it is supposedly equally likely for either.

My guess would be about 1% the first year, 2% within two years, and maybe 4 or 5% within a four year term. I honestly think that an actuary would consider those percentages rather high considering current good health and the kind of attention and care any president gets.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    But can we agree that Biden has more foreign policy experience than all 3 of them combined?
    Sure, he's had 35 years to be wrong about just about everything. When do you think Iraq will be partitioned?
    Never.
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Obama isn't the foreign relations guru that Biden is, but he's a helluva lot better than Palin.
    That's your claim. Let's see you back it up. What are you drawing on for this assessment?
    He holds a seat on the United States Senate Committee on Foreign Relations. Made official visits to Europe, Asia, and Africa.

+1 against Palin.
    What was that? three minutes of research? I love this debate - comparing Obama to Palin. It becomes quickly clear that they're both in about the same ballpark experience-wise, that Dems are critical of Plain for her inexperience, and that basically argues against their candidate for presidency.

What did Obama do on the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations? How often did he even show up? Did he ever convene a hearing? Check out the other thread on what Obama did on his trip to Africa. Taunting a village with the promise of help and then forgetting about them doesn't seem to demonstrate positive experience.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    But can we agree that Biden has more foreign policy experience than all 3 of them combined?
    Sure, he's had 35 years to be wrong about just about everything. When do you think Iraq will be partitioned?
    Never.
    Strike one.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    BallHawk wrote:
    I'm not criticizing her for not being an expert on Iraq, just don't pass her off as this great, qualified candidate, that she has experience with Russia and Canada and is versed in foreign affairs. She knows jack squat. How anybody can say she is more knowledgeable about foreign affairs than Obama is a joke. She's never been outside of the country on a trip for political means. Obama isn't the foreign relations guru that Biden is, but he's a helluva lot better than Palin.
    The sentence in bold type is just plain wrong. I've seen pictures of her in Kuwait visiting members of the Alaska National Guard. I assume that was while she was Governor. What's Obama done, tour Iraq for a few days?

Look, neither has negotiated a treaty or acted as a foreign emissary, including Biden.

And speaking of Biden, so he's sat on the Foreign Affairs Committee and gained some experience there. So what? Didn't he vote FOR the Iraq war? Wasn't he against the Surge? Didn't he want to put troops on the ground in Darfur?

Biden doesn't sound like some foreign policy genius even with all his bureaucratic experience. BUT, even if he is such a genius, McCain (or Palin, if McCain crokes) could always invite Biden to the White House for a brainstorming session. I'm sure Biden, being a good American, would be happy to oblige.

Who knows, maybe Palen would appoint him Secy. of Defense or Secy. of State, if she's suitably impressed.

However, I hope she doesn't. Because Biden, despite his experience, strikes me as a diehard partisan who's wrong too many times on too many issues.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Like Sheepshead said, any conjecture about a president dying is extremely unlikely.
    You're saying that a man that would be 72 when he takes office is "extremely unlikely" to die? Is it unlikely? Yes. But at his age, don't tell me that it's out of the question.
    Would you care to put a percentage on it--McCain dying in say 1 year, 2 years, 4 years of taking office? Rule out assassination on the grounds that it is supposedly equally likely for either.

My guess would be about 1% the first year, 2% within two years, and maybe 4 or 5% within a four year term. I honestly think that an actuary would consider those percentages rather high considering current good health and the kind of attention and care any president gets.
    life expectancy for a 72 yr. old is 12 more yrs.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/STATS/table4c6.html

you older guys........don't open this link, just go open a beer.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    Lucky for me, mine are better than yours.
    What does better mean? Is the word better a universal truth?
    Nope. Value system.
    What are your values based on?
    Society, history, culture, etc.
    OK, I’m going to share a little tonight. My name is Yehya Ayyash. I am a Palestinian and I go over to Isreael to blow up Jews every other weekend. My history, culture and society have instilled these values in me.*

My values are better than yours.

*I am really not a PLO terrorist. I am making a point with Ty. I barely own a sharp knife....in fact I have a real tough time opening virtually any device packaged in that vacuum sealed plastic stuff that you end up cutting up your hands on the sharp edges once you get it ripped open.
    check
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

life expectancy for a 72 yr. old is 12 more yrs.

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/STATS/table4c6.html

you older guys........don't open this link, just go open a beer.
    A bit disegenous. Mccain's body has suffered. He is not a high energy guy right now. All the journalists have noted the relaxed pace of his campaign.

He has had repeated bouts of skin cancer. Polyps in his colon. Kidney stones.

I'm not worried about the those particularly, but his last bout with cancer was pretty serious..and anytime anyone that old goes under for surgery...that is risky.