Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: “I think that the surge has succeeded.........

“I think that the surge has succeeded.........

“.........in ways that nobody anticipated,” Obama said while refusing to retract his initial opposition to the surge.

Really? Nobody?

I think Senator McCain said something like, um, what was it......

"yes we can!!!!!!" (and those three words actually meant something that time)

After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

They are the ones they have been waiting for.

After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

There time is now!

McCain was correct about the surge.

Barack Obama was wrong.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The Iraqi government is working more effectively and has a higher approval rating than the Democrat controlled U.S. Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    The Iraqi government is working more effectively and has a higher approval rating than the Democrat controlled U.S. Congress.

Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

the change in strategy really worked, the approach they took was just as important as the increase in troops.

but the news the past couple months has been bad. The fall elections were cancelled over the Kirkuk dispute. The Shitte gov seems intent on breaking-up the Sunni "Awakening" movement that the U.S. helped build, which could lead to a renewed insurgency.

I think we need the next president to be committed to seeing-through the situation, it's far from a done deal. An attitude of defining success as withdrawin troops is not going to cut it. The argument that Afghanistan counts and Iraq doesn't is patently bullshit, even if it might have been debatable 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    but the news the past couple months has been bad. The fall elections were cancelled over the Kirkuk dispute. The Shitte gov seems intent on breaking-up the Sunni "Awakening" movement that the U.S. helped build, which could lead to a renewed insurgency.
    McCain should send over a dedicated community organizer to help out.

I think we should define success as bipartisanship between Sunni, Shia, and Kurds, healthcare for all Iraqis, a good job at a good wage, equal pay for equal work among the sexes, alternative energy (not nuclear) so that the Iraqis won't be at the mercy of radical governments like themselves, and abortions on demand. Until that's done, the war wasn't worth it.

this forum is lousy with wise guys. you can't throw a stone in any direction without hitting one of them. i suppose that is some consolation.

this forum is lousy with wise guys. you can't throw a stone in any direction without hitting one of them. i suppose that is some consellation.
    Which constellation is it? I prefer scorpio:

so you edited my posted and inserted a mispelling just to make a wise crack?

How low will you go? You've set an all-new standard for pettiness now.

this forum is lousy with wise guys.

"Harlan, I love you." - Ken Wahl (Vinnie Terranova)

OOOOOOoooooo. WISE GUY!!!!

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!!!!!

(the answer to your question is: Pretty low)

the change in strategy really worked, the approach they took was just as important as the increase in troops.

I think we need the next president to be committed to seeing-through the situation, it's far from a done deal. An attitude of defining success as withdrawin troops is not going to cut it. The argument that Afghanistan counts and Iraq doesn't is patently bullshit, even if it might have been debatable 5 years ago.
    Your generosity to the neocons has no ends. Debatable? The position that Aghan matters and Iraq doesn't was absolutely correct, as anyone who's not living in fantasy land would IMO now admit. I will concede the point that US intelligence was ambiguous about the existence of WMDs in Iraq and that a reasonable person might have been convinced of their existence. So one COULD have been mistaken--but in good faith--about WMDs. But I have a hard time believing that anyone could assume that the possibility of WMDs legitimated the war. WMDs were CLEARLY being used by the administration as a pretext (the fact that Cheney-Bush had eleven pretexts shows that none of the was the real reason for invading), and the situation in Iraq was nothing like other contexts where the US has led a human-rights motivated intervention (Bosnia/Kosovo).

so you edited my post and inserted a crack?

I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier
    Your generosity to the neocons has no ends. Debatable? The position that Aghan matters and Iraq doesn't was absolutely correct, as anyone who's not living in fantasy land would IMO now admit.
    Ich bin ein neocon. The "neocons" have been demonized to such an extent that the word now is synonymous with right-wing fascists. Neocons are idealists who believe in freedom and human rights, they are internationalists, opposed to the old-school conservative isolationists. I consider John McCain and Joe Biden to be neocons. But enough about my people.

All I can say is you might very well be right about Iraq being a big mistake. But I'm not prepared to admit that it had to go so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    so you edited my post and inserted a crack?

I don't understand.
    Actually, I noticed the mispelling and edited the post myself. And the timing was such that my change went through before your wise crack, lending credibility to my claim that you did a petty dirty trick.

It was a perfect storm, which ended in your humiliation. In your face!

i see, you really did edit it this time.

you think you're so clever. but its too late.