Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: McCain/Obama

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    remember our discussion 3 months ago about the economy being fine?? Unemployment is up to 5.8% and last night we had the biggest bankruptcy in US history. Banks are failing and credit markets are a fucking mess. GDP is pretty much stagnant....who coulda seen this coming?? Yea, GW did some good things, but some real shit happened while we were fighting terrorism. I'd like a president who might actually be able to do both.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igAmVs0cvY8
    McCain on the record as insisting that the US economy is "still strong." I don't know if yesterday is necessarily indicative of a deepening of our economic crisis (except for those who are directly affected by what happened with Lehman), nor does it seem likely that the next President will have full control over when and how the economy begins to recover. That said, McCain can't help but come across as out of touch with reality here. He sounds a lot like Tex, as a matter of fact.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    remember our discussion 3 months ago about the economy being fine?? Unemployment is up to 5.8% and last night we had the biggest bankruptcy in US history. Banks are failing and credit markets are a fucking mess. GDP is pretty much stagnant....who coulda seen this coming?? Yea, GW did some good things, but some real shit happened while we were fighting terrorism. I'd like a president who might actually be able to do both.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igAmVs0cvY8
    McCain on the record as insisting that the US economy is "still strong." I don't know if yesterday is necessarily indicative of a deepening of our economic crisis (except for those who are directly affected by what happened with Lehman), nor does it seem likely that the next President will have full control over when and how the economy begins to recover. That said, McCain can't help but come across as out of touch with reality here. He sounds a lot like Tex, as a matter of fact.
    I'm not sure on the date of that youtube video, but it barely matters. As of 4 months ago the economy was "strong" by numbers, but again, anyone who couldn't see this mess coming either had an agenda or is an economics novice.

I'm not truly on your side here though (hoosier) as I think around election time the left will convince us that unemployment is 50% if they think it will help them win (as mccain and the right deny the downturn we are in now).

The economic indicators were slipping for a year now, and with the looming credit market crisis (there is no "housing" crisis) a monumental slowdown was inevitable. Now if gov't is smart (yea, dream on) we are ready for such things and have the opportunity to spend thru slowdowns, but if you ran up a 200 billion dollar deficit (due to long standing fixed costs of social programs mostly) what you end up with is a 450 billion dollar deficit when times slow down, now the credit markets are fucked, the gov't is having trouble raising capital to spend through it without debasing the dollar and we limp into '09.

As I've always said, I blame the left more than the right, but I hold the right accountable too. they got in power and started their own agenda (of staying in power) without thought to setting us back on the right track. Once Gingrich got destroyed by the press and stepped down all form of fiscal sanity at the federal level was gone.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Obama came out today and made fun of "the ownership society" we have here. Why doesn't he just come out of the closet and tells us what he really is.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

McCain condemns CEO buyouts, yet..............

Republican ticket mates John McCain and Sarah Palin Monday blasted corporate executives who leave their company with a "golden parachute" and pledged to "stop multimillion dollar payouts" to CEOs, seeming to forget their own top economic adviser Carly Fiorina walked away with $45 million, including a $21.4 million severance package when she was dismissed by Hewlett Packard in 2005.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...-economic.html

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    Obama's camp is really set on attacking the republican campaign people. I may be wrong, but I didn't think these people typically took important posts in the government after their man is elected.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    Obama's camp is really set on attacking the republican campaign people. I may be wrong, but I didn't think these people typically took important posts in the government after their man is elected.
    Many of the people high up in Macs campaign worked for Bush/Cheney during the campaigns and admins of both for the last eight years....will that trend continue? We might find out.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    You choose to invalidate it on YOUR criteria.
    And this is what it always comes down to for you. No one can defeat you in your head.

As far as the article goes, a reasonable person need only look at the source and the title to understand what it's intentions are. The content of the article is weak, and to be honest, reads a lot like one of your arguments: A whole lot of talk without a point - well not a point that you would be forced to defend in any meaningful way. Just a title meant to enrage those who are already looking to be enraged. More intellectually dishonest crap thrown at the wall in the hope that the smell will linger.
    Defeat me? Dude, i'm not locked into any position. I didn't start off with a position that repubs are smarter or dumber than dems..nor vice versa.

I merely posted data that clearly should that neither said was dumb. I never said, "hah..gotcha partial." The only point of the post was to illuminate how foolish his statement was.

I don't come here saying if you vote repub you are stupid. Find anything like that...go for it. I await that like i await any valid source you can present on the polling data, different polling data, or legit criticism of the NYT story. Ty waits...and waits..and waits.

However, questioning polling data because YOU think it isn't right..doesn't make it so. I dont' sit here and deny or question the polling data that shows Mccain ahead...did i? Nope. I accept that things like the rasmussen have been pretty darn accurate. I don't say they are wrong or 100 percent right...but, i dont' pontificate like you do. Making speculation about who is at home when they call, etc. If the polls showed Obama ahead..and now Mccain...i certainly can't do that...if it worked for one, it works for the other.

Article: That is your viewpoint. Like I said, everyone has a bias. I watched the press meet palin's religious leader in alaska. I thought it was fairly benign. I watched Glenn Beck lead into the story about how the press "demanded" answers.

Everyone frames things.

I find your objections kinda funny. I dont' see you holding the same standard about the press on the right towards obama. But, then again, i don't expect you or the right wing to act any differently. That is why i find your hypocrisy so stunning.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

I find your objections kinda funny. I dont' see you holding the same standard about the press on the right towards obama.
    What press on the right?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand

I find your objections kinda funny. I dont' see you holding the same standard about the press on the right towards obama.
    What press on the right?
    Fox news, National Review, and the multitude of online sites.

I'm getting ready for the show after McCain wins this thing. They are already setting the stage. It'll get as ugly as ugly gets. Pop some corn, grab some thin mints and a slurpy and hunker down!!!
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead
    I'm getting ready for the show after McCain wins this thing. They are already setting the stage. It'll get as ugly as ugly gets. Pop some corn, grab some thin mints and a slurpy and hunker down!!!
    What show?

The dems are gonna control the house and senate.

Hopefully Mac, if he wins, won't act as imperiously as Bush and they all can get some stuff done.

the pissing the moaning.

PDS, "we arent ready for a brother in the white house" bla bla bla
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

the pissing the moaning.

If Obama wins...will the right be quiet?

the pissing the moaning.

If your guy isnt up by 10 points in every poll by now there's no way he's getting close. Thankfully, it appears the American people cannot be fooled anymore than they couldn't be fooled in '04.

the pissing the moaning.

If your guy isnt up by 10 points in every poll by now there's no way he's getting close. Thankfully, it appears the American people cannot be fooled anymore than they couldn't be fooled in '04.
    Deftly avoids answering the qeustion.

I cant answer it since I cant buy the premise. He's done.

However, questioning polling data because YOU think it isn't right..doesn't make it so. I dont' sit here and deny or question the polling data that shows Mccain ahead...did i?
    I didn't question the polling data. I questioned your misapplication of that specific polling data. Of course trying to make this about something it isn't allows you to shout "ad hominem!" instead of admitting you're data doesn't fit your argument. That would be too much like saying you were wrong, which we all know is impossible.

Article: That is your viewpoint.
    No, it's my analysis. One you haven't done anything to refute except claim I am inherently biased to the right. Ad hominem!

Everyone frames things.
    You can frame a pile of shit in a gilt and bejeweled frame and it's still a pile of shit.

That is why i find your hypocrisy so stunning.
    I'm guessing in your strange little world, you can't see yourself in the mirror, can you? Otherwise you would permanently stunned. Which would probably be not such a bad thing.

Oh, and here's the new data I found:

It clearly shows you are wrong more than you are visited by virii. I'm guessing you're just full of virii. Of all sorts. At least that's what the numbers tell me, and until you show me a graph showing me you're not full of virii, I'll have to assume it is true.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Explain to me, why the polling data is misapplied.

You stated that it wasn't terribly representative...basis for that claim? None.

All that i used that was to show that 85-90% of those who didn't graduate high school weren't voting dem.

"He says he's siding with the people just before he flew off for a fundraiser in Hollywood with Barbra Streisand," McCain said of his rival. "Let me tell you, my friends, there's no place I'd rather be than right here with the working men and women of Ohio."

There are no right leaning polls. Just left. Drill down and youll see 23% registered republican etc etc. Secondly, since the sham polling of '04, many are not telling the truth. Secondly and most importantly, there are large sections of the electorate that will say they are democrats and not pull the handle for this ticket. Dont ask em for back up on this do some homework yourself and youll find plenty of information.