Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker
In order to get the Bush tax cuts past the Democrats in Congress, Republicans had to agree to time limits of 2009/2010. The whole thing--which basically amounts to across the board cuts--will end within the next couple of years unless Congress--which is now heavily Democrat and likely to get worse that way--takes positive action to extend them.
Again, Obama's plan will continue the existing tax cuts and add more tax cuts for all but those over $250000 ($200k for individuals). That's it, period. I don't know where you (and skin and others) are getting different ideas, but they are not from Obama's proposals, or independent analysis.

Based on your words, MS, it sounds like you are even more extreme of a tax and spend leftist than Obama.
What I am is a deficit hawk. I want to see it attacked asap, but in a sustainable way. To me it's more important than tax cuts including cuts for me, but given the current economic situation I recognize the need to try something for stimulation. As for spending, I tend to favor things that give the US good value for the $$ spent (education, research, infrastructure, and yes even defense). I'm in favor of early childhood development and intervention programs that are shown to reduce kids turning to crime later. (Is that tax and spend liberalism or pro-growth and smaller government?)
You're absolutely right about Obama and the 250K. And your post seems pretty reasonable. I too favor a pragmatic approach when it comes to governmental programs - they ought to work to stay funded. Problem with the 250K limit to the taxes is that it will hurt a lot of businesses, and ultimately, raising taxes will reduce tax receipts and Obama will be forced into more cuts and or more taxes. And taxing businesses via his proposed increase in the cap gains tax will drive businesses away, even as he claims to want to keep them here (no tax breaks for businesses that leave the country).