Why the absolutely irrational, uncritical support for a four year senator with miniscule experience and a secret past, with a tradition of terrorist associations, radicalism, and no specific leadership?

Why the support for a guy who is to the left of Kerry, less technocratic than Dukakis, and less intelligent than Gore?

Why a media willing to drop every pretense to objectivity and behave like little girls in love at the mere sight of above senator?

There is but one reason: Barack Obama is the Numinous Negro.

What is the Numinous Negro? He is the creation of our collective guilt, the psychic compensation for the reality that the black race has underperformed so incredibly in our nation relative to other races.

He manifests in movies and television shows as the supporting role judge or teacher or, generally speaking, noble hero who always has an unearthly or divine wisdom, generally delivered in a supra-rational, baritone voice. He is Morgan Freeman in any number of roles. He's the black judge in just about every movie. He is a deus ex machina that is a "game-changer" in the movie.

He is what guilty white people want SO BAD to be true, so that they can appease their conscience. It's the new "I have black friends" of the media generation.

And instead of dealing with the TRUTH as it is, that in fact the black race has been left behind by the American Dream PRECISELY BECAUSE of liberalism, the Great Society, and the New Deal, we deal with it psycically through the Numinous Negro.

If we vote Obama in, so the thinking goes, we will exorcise that collective guilt from our consciences. It will be the ultimate "I have black friends," because now, "I have a black president."

Forget the fact that Obama has as much to do with the American Black (children of slaves) experience as I have with southern masters (i.e. none). That doesn't matter. Because identity politics is all there is. All that matters.

The image of the Numinous Negro has hypnotized us. We think we're getting Morgan Freeman as God in Bruce Almighty coming down to save us. It's why Freeman was cast for that role (because he fits our psychic expectations so perfectly), and it's why Obama is doing as well as he is, despite all the above negatives.

Comments?