Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 years since 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    Where to start with this? My first reaction is that there is virtually nothing similar between Chernobyl and 9/11. How can they be similar? The Reactor failed for multiple reasons: poor construction, poor staffing, poor oversight, etc. Radiation escaped because, unlike reactors in the west, there was no secondary containment building.
    OK, they are different, there is no enemy in Chernobyl. But C. & 911 have more in common than they have difference. They are huge, sad tragedies caused by human failure. People asleep at the switch.

People caused 9/11. Islamic terrorists. And not just any terrorists. Men who were highly educated, men who lived in the west, men who were highly motivated not by poverty or desperation, but by a specific ideology.
    Ya, it is a big deal. The fight against terrorism is a big deal. But it need not be all-consuming, and it CERTAINLY should not define us, or even our policy.

We are going to beat the bastards. And it is critical to note that the battle is primarily one to be won by the Muslims themselves, its mostly an internecine war, and the radicals are a minority.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    I don't think it would be healthy or positive to turn 911 into a national patriotic holiday of mourning and shared grievance.
    We shouldn't let the bastards bring us down! It is critical to close the wound. Remember, but don't dwell. Aspire to greatness, conquering new challenges, don't get stuck looking backward in the muck of vengeance.
    Ever hear of Pearl Harbor Day? You know, Dec. 7, when all Americans turn out to kill the Japanese? We 'closed the wound' of Pearl Harbor by defeating Imperial Japan. Have we defeated those who attacked us on 9/11? Is defeating them vengeance, or self-preservation?

We are going to beat the bastards. And it is critical to note that the battle is primarily one to be won by the Muslims themselves, its mostly an internecine war, and the radicals are a minority.

40% of young UK Muslims want sharia law
    Over a third say conversion from Islam should be 'punished by death'

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=54018

I don't think it would be healthy or positive to turn 911 into a national patriotic holiday of mourning and shared grievance.
    We shouldn't let the bastards bring us down! It is critical to close the wound. Remember, but don't dwell. Aspire to greatness, conquering new challenges, don't get stuck looking backward in the muck of vengeance.
    Ever hear of Pearl Harbor Day? You know, Dec. 7, when all Americans turn out to kill the Japanese? We 'closed the wound' of Pearl Harbor by defeating Imperial Japan. Have we defeated those who attacked us on 9/11? Is defeating them vengeance, or self-preservation?
    I think that is a good comparison. But the difference in my mind is that I knew Adolph Hitler, he was a friend of mine, and the Islamic fascists are no Adolph Hitler. The terrorists do NOT present that sort of existensial threat, we are kicking their asses, and the Islamic world is turning against them.

I don't disagree with your points. Defeating the terrorists goes beyond vengeance.

Pearl Harbor Day is now a big deal mostly for people who were alive during the 1940's. And I think that is as it should be.

We don't have a national day of mourning over the Great Chicago Fire.

Perhaps I am being insensitive, the wounds of 911 are pretty fresh.

OK, they are different, there is no enemy in Chernobyl. But C. & 911 have more in common than they have difference. They are huge, sad tragedies caused by human failure. People asleep at the switch.
    I couldn't disagree more about the comparison between Chernobyl and 9/11. The fucking terrorists killed our citizens. The airport security people did not kill anybody. Their failure didn't CAUSE the terrorists to kill. The terrorist didn't fail at anything - they were wide awake at the switch.

Chernobyl was caused by fucking incompetents.

why aren't bombs going off all over England?

Europe is more threatened than us, no bout a doubt it. The Islamicists are not going to take over the west.

WTF? I didn't know we were attacked, causing the Chicago Fire. Did we go to war over it?

I couldn't disagree more about the comparison between Chernobyl and 9/11. The fucking terrorists killed our citizens. The airport security people did not kill anybody. Their failure didn't CAUSE the terrorists to kill. The terrorist didn't fail at anything - they were wide awake at the switch.

911 was caused by incompetents. Arabs taking flying lessons, not concerned about landing? Our guard was way down. Amazing, given the bombing of the World Trade Center back in the eary 90's.

The national mythology of Serbia is centered around a battlefield defeat that happened in Kososvo in the 13th century. Apparently the Islamic Armies kicked their asses, and now they celebrate this historic turning point as some sort of national rallying cry, a patriotic day of shared grievance. They sing ballads that retell the story of this great loss.

It has made the Serbian character sullen, they are a warlike people, and always quick to see themselves as victims. In short, they are retarded.

I don't think it would be healthy or positive to turn 911 into a national patriotic holiday of mourning and shared grievance. That would be like packer fans having a shared annual cry over the 4-and-21 day, pictures of Mike Sherman hoisted over our heads, reopening the wounds.

I remember & I agree.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

why aren't bombs going off all over England?

Europe is more threatened than us, no bout a doubt it. The Islamicists are not going to take over the west.
    Why explode bombs when you don't need to - especially when in 50 years, you will be the majority, and the Archbishop of Canterbury already agrees with you.

911 was caused by incompetents. Arabs taking flying lessons, not concerned about landing? Our guard was way down. Amazing, given the bombing of the World Trade Center back in the eary 90's.
    I'm sorry Harlan, but you're a fool. You can hold our security people accountable for mistakes, but to say they cause 9/11 is monstrous.

WTF? I didn't know we were attacked, causing the Chicago Fire. Did we go to war over it?
    What is your purpose in having an annual day of mourning, anger and grievance over 911? To accomplish what? Should we celebrate the great loss of life at the battle of the Bulge every year?

I have a totally different vision of what is good for the country.

I'm sorry Harlan, but you're a fool. You can hold our security people accountable for mistakes, but to say they cause 9/11 is monstrous.
    Oh Christ. Ya, right, I'm soft on terrorists, I've absolved them of all responsibility.

I don't think it would be healthy or positive to turn 911 into a national patriotic holiday of mourning and shared grievance. That would be like packer fans having a shared annual cry over the 4-and-21 day, pictures of Mike Sherman hoisted over our heads, reopening the wounds.
    Now 9/11 = a Packers loss. Sometimes you just jump into the deep end of the dumb pool head first don't you?
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    Now 9/11 = a Packers loss. Sometimes you just jump into the deep end of the dumb pool head first don't you?
    After the water has been drained.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Now 9/11 = a Packers loss.
    not equal, English Major. get your old college notes out and go back to the day where you talked about metaphors.

What is your purpose in having an annual day of mourning, anger and grievance over 911? To accomplish what? Should we celebrate the great loss of life at the battle of the Bulge every year?

I have a totally different vision of what is good for the country.
    I suspect the amount of time devoted to remembrance will go down every year, just like for every other similar event this nation has experienced. The point wasn't the day, the point is how you characterize 9/11 - as a 'tragedy of human failure' - and how you seem completely unaware of any continued threat to the west.

how you seem completely unaware of any continued threat to the west.
    if you know anything about my opinions on foreign policy, you know this is not true. you're just painting with a broad brush, dipped in a stereotype. now THAT was a bad metaphor.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    not equal, English Major. get your old college notes out and go back to the day where you talked about metaphors.
    Actually, you used a simile.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig
    Actually, you used a simile.
    busted. I guess if you use the word "like" it makes it a simile? I was not an english major, just wished I was one, much prettier girls over there.