Here's a link to some information on it directly from Canon. http://www.canon.com/technology/display/

I would definitely say that article is very conservative in the ramifications of this. It's never wise to put all your eggs in one basket, but canon and toshiba poured a ton of money into this and it is definitely looking like a technology that is going to catch on. I've been following the development of this for awhile, since back in the day when DLP first came around. HDTV is not user friendly at all right, and I expect that when they ships, it will compete with DLP/LCD on price, and probably beat plasma. After a year or two, it will be much cheaper once they get the R&D revenue paid off. This is going to be huge, it is coming out at the perfect time, and will all this hype of the next-gen dvd players and game consoles, this thing is going to explode.

The colors are going to be more vibrant by a mile then anything that is out today, it will be brighter, use less energy, it has a 1ms latency which is faster than then plasma, lcd and dlp (clearer image), and if they decide to go with an external power supply and tuner (which I think they will), I don't think its unreasonable to expect less than 2cm thick tv's that are very light yet sturdy. Essentially, they can make this as thin as they want.