Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Player who's smart with his $$ ?????

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar

Player who's smart with his $$ ?????

Have you all ever heard of a player doing this?

Regarding Patrick Dendy on Packers.com this morning:

"What did you do with your first NFL paycheck?
    I still have it. I haven't spent that much. Everybody laughs at me for being a little cheap. I still have almost everything I made last year."

I have to say I was severely impressed. If this guy can be that frugal and use his head in the small financial gains he has made as an undrafted player then he should be able to serve as an example to others. 8I wonder if they have anyone at the Rookie Symposium who follows his line of thought??
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Player who's smart with his $$ ?????

there was a story on Tony Fisher last seaon. He spoke of saving his $$$ cuz he wasnt getting the big payday and was concerned about his future. I can see how some of these guys go from having nothing to having it all and cant deal with it but damn, how can they just crap it all down the toilet.

? HOFer
    My guess is a lot of guys that aren't first day picks invest most of it and live a modest lifestyle. You never know whats going to happen with injury, or if they'll be able to cut it and have staying power in the league. I also don't think too many are qualified for much else outside of football.

With that said, and this may be very wishful thinking, but I bet its not too uncommon. These guys have agents and I am sure they'd give them this advice.

I've heard through interviews with Samkon and Santana Dotson that KGB also has quite the reputation for being "cheap" (also known as a good money manager, though). I think Samkon even said that KGB makes friends and family pay face value to use his allotment of player tickets!

? HOFer
    friends I can understand, but family?? This guy makes like what 4-5 mil a year? That's excessively stingy. Maybe outside of his immediate too, but if he's making his parents pay for games something is wrong!!!

Well, prob. not his parents, but everyone else...

Unless Samkon was joking, he said KGB doesn't pay for dinner, either. I believe the word he used to describe KGB was "frugal." It's definitely a running joke on the team.

Living in GB probably saves a lot of the players some money, at least during the regular season. I mean, how extravagant can you be, particularly in the nightlife arena? (Esp. now with the Nick Barnett club situation.)

You have to wait for the off-season to blow some real dough at the clubs(i.e., the Cheetah Lounge).

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    Spending the $$ is the easy part, wouldn't you agree?

If I were a partying player I would rent a Limo and go to Milwaukee or jump a charter plane to the Twin Cities. Real easy. The cost of living in WI is much less than any other NFL city ('cept maybe NO).

I've got nothing but admiration for any of our players who act responsibly with their $$.

The KGB/alloted ticket thing may be a bit drastic, but if it's even remotely true I'll bet he doesn't have many friends or family members asking him for $$ and trying to ca$h in on his NFL status - that's pretty smart.
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

I believe Javon Walker never spent any of the signing bonus he got when he was drafted for baseball (about 225K). At the time I was impressed and thought to myself: "Here's a guy with his head on straight." Later, after the contract fiasco, military medal analogies and whatnot, I concluded that that his head was on straight...up his a$$.
    "What's one more torpedo in a sinking ship?"
    Lynn Dickey, 1984

"Never apologize, mister. It's a sign of weakness."
    John Wayne, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon"

KGB is a very religious man, and therefore....is.....very....cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by ny10804

So was Jim Bakker and he threw money around like a drunken sailor....until he went to prison of course.

I remember when Travis Jervey and Leshon Johnson were playing for GB and living together they tried to buy a real Lion, but got busted by the coaches. They also got busted by the WDNR for deer snares, what a couple of idiots.
    Chris: Dad, what's the blow-hole for?
    Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBrewer
    I remember when Travis Jervey and Leshon Johnson were playing for GB and living together they tried to buy a real Lion, but got busted by the coaches. They also got busted by the WDNR for deer snares, what a couple of idiots.

Were the deer supposed to be food for the lion? How Roman.
    If they were making Brett Favre money, that would be cool. But, Travis Jervey and Leshon Johnson throwing their big paychecks around? No wonder they tried to use snares, they couldn't afford to buy meat for the lion.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Leshon Johnson fucker got busted a year or so ago for running a dog fighting ring. Sick Fuck...... I'd let a pit bull clamp onto his nuts and watch him cry like a baby.

I had not heard that about the dog fighting ring, that is messed up. I would like to break his nose for that shit.
    Chris: Dad, what's the blow-hole for?
    Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.

they sound like they could be good special teams players. extra brains are a liability for kickoff coverage guys.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I remember an article in Sports Illustrated about Leshon and his baby Pitbulls and how much he cared and nurtured them. Well it turns out that he did, nurtured them into killers.

I guess thats what passes for a good time in Oklahoma.

Anyways, I remember the big fasco with Walker and Rosenhaus last summer and there was an article about how players spend their signing bonuses. It was laughable. In most cases before the draft these players have already racked up dept to their agents. Agents give players these loans for living expenses, workout costs, SUVs, homes, and Jewelry.

Most of the signing bonus is pissed away before they even get it. Whats left of it is usually invested into long term deals where they will get hit with huge penalties if they remove the money before it matures. So when they are barely getting by on their minimum contract for the first couple of years of the deal because they have already pissed their signing bonus down the drain they need more money to keep up their way of living, so you have these rookies threatening hold outs, and they don't even have to be rookies, they can be Terrell Owens.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutz
    I remember an article in Sports Illustrated about Leshon and his baby Pitbulls and how much he cared and nurtured them. Well it turns out that he did, nurtured them into killers.

I guess thats what passes for a good time in Oklahoma.

Anyways, I remember the big fasco with Walker and Rosenhaus last summer and there was an article about how players spend their signing bonuses. It was laughable. In most cases before the draft these players have already racked up dept to their agents. Agents give players these loans for living expenses, workout costs, SUVs, homes, and Jewelry.

Most of the signing bonus is pissed away before they even get it. Whats left of it is usually invested into long term deals where they will get hit with huge penalties if they remove the money before it matures. So when they are barely getting by on their minimum contract for the first couple of years of the deal because they have already pissed their signing bonus down the drain they need more money to keep up their way of living, so you have these rookies threatening hold outs, and they don't even have to be rookies, they can be Terrell Owens.
    They're just like lotto winners. Just because you have money doesn't mean you automatically have the skills to keep it.

Strange comment. Ever heard of tithing?

The CHURCH gets all his extra money then.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau