Thread: 8000 for makeup....nope, it isn't for Mrs. Palin.

8000 for makeup....nope, it isn't for Mrs. Palin.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sle...l_make-up.html

Remember last month when Republican presidential nominee John McCain got made up by the American Idol make-up artist?

Well, it wasn't a one-shot deal. The make-up artist to the wannabe-stars is getting paid beaucoup bucks to make McCain, 72, more telegenic.

Tifanie White, who reportedly has done makeup for the shows "So You Think You Can Dance" and "American Idol," was paid a total of $8,672.55 in September by the McCain-Palin campaign, according to the campaign's latest monthly financial report filed this week with the Federal Election Commission. She was paid $5,583.43 the previous month, records show.

We asked McCain campaign spokesman Brian Rogers whether McCain was happy with the American Idol make-up artist's work, and whether Ms. White also does makeup for McCain's naturally telegenic vice presidential running mate, Sarah Palin. Rogers replied via email, "No comment."

We refrained from asking whether McCain might have a future on "American Idol" if things don't break his way two weeks from today on Election Day. But at least he has an in if he so chooses.
    I wonder if Mac is an autumn or a spring?

What's funny is that from what I've read the money for all the wardrobes and makeovers has come from the Republican national committee which is illegal under the campaign finance reform rules Mac wrote/supported.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    What's funny is that from what I've read the money for all the wardrobes and makeovers has come from the Republican national committee which is illegal under the campaign finance reform rules Mac wrote/supported.
    No, the clothes would be illegal under those rules if it came from the campaign, but the RNC has more leeway. It is considered income, so the Palin's will have a hefty tax to pay on it, unless they can sell it on E-bay for near the full value and then donate that money to charity.

The make-up cost is for the employee, and I think they can pay employees for things like this with little restriction. The actual value of the make-up is insignificant, and won't last for much beyond the campaign related event.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    No, the clothes would be illegal under those rules if it came from the campaign, but the RNC has more leeway. It is considered income, so the Palin's will have a hefty tax to pay on it, unless they can sell it on E-bay for near the full value and then donate that money to charity.

The make-up cost is for the employee, and I think they can pay employees for things like this with little restriction. The actual value of the make-up is insignificant, and won't last for much beyond the campaign related event.
    ' SEC. 313. USE OF CONTRIBUTED AMOUNTS FOR CERTAIN PURPOSES.
    (a) PERMITTED USES-

(b) PROHIBITED USE-

(1) IN GENERAL- A contribution or donation described in subsection (a) shall not be converted by any person to personal use.

(2) CONVERSION- For the purposes of paragraph (1), a contribution or donation shall be considered to be converted to personal use if the contribution or amount is used to fulfill any commitment, obligation, or expense of a person that would exist irrespective of the candidate's election campaign or individual's duties as a holder of Federal office, including--

(A) a home mortgage, rent, or utility payment;
    (B) a clothing purchase;
    (C) a noncampaign-related automobile expense;
    (D) a country club membership;
    (E) a vacation or other noncampaign-related trip;
    (F) a household food item;
    (G) a tuition payment;
    (H) admission to a sporting event, concert, theater, or other form of entertainment not associated with an election campaign; and
    (I) dues, fees, and other payments to a health club or recreational facility.'

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h107-2356
    C.H.U.D.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I think you better check your facts Freak Out. According to one report that I heard The Republican National Committee is not funded with Federal dollars. It is illegal to use Federal Campaign dollars to purchase clothing or personal items under the Campaign Reform Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz
    I think you better check your facts Freak Out. According to one report that I heard The Republican National Committee is not funded with Federal dollars. It is illegal to use Federal Campaign dollars to purchase clothing or personal items under the Campaign Reform Act.
    I could be wrong....I don't have the desire to check any stinking facts on this matter right now...I really don't care if Palin/Mac spend donors money on cloths/makeup or sex toys for that matter. Actually sex toy spending I would promote.

I just posted the link if someone wanted to go through the dreary, boring text of the rules.
    C.H.U.D.

I could be wrong....I don't have the desire to check any stinking facts on this matter right now...I really don't care if Palin/Mac spend donors money on cloths/makeup or sex toys for that matter. Actually sex toy spending I would promote.
    That would also give them another way of showing their connections with Joe the Plumber: they get their butt plugs from him.

I think the huge fuss they're making about all the clothes going to charity after the election plays into these rules as much as for public perception. I'm not sure what category McCain's makeup falls under though...
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings