Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposition 8

Proposition 8

The gay marriage ban. As of typing this It looks like it will pass.

Ugh, this is absurd.

Why do people think that something other people do that HAS NOTHING TO DEAL WITH THEM AT ALL....is wrong

Why do you need to be involved in something that does not effect you or your interests.

Man, America can be inspiring and troubling at the same time.

? HOFer
    I think it will be far more troubling when I have to explain to my young children what is wrong with those two men walking down the street holding hands...

Please think before you speak.

What will they think when they see you and Skinbasket holding hands?

Re: Proposition 8

Quote Originally Posted by arcilite

Ugh, this is absurd.

Why do people think that something other people do that HAS NOTHING TO DEAL WITH THEM AT ALL....is wrong

Why do you need to be involved in something that does not effect you or your interests.

well...marriage has a definition, and gay isn't in it. That being said I am all for civil unions to allow gays every right a "traditional" couple has....except where it DOES affect others, like adoption.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

So why do you care? What's it have to do with you? Answer your own question.

You call the ban "absurd" and "wrong." Those are value judgments based upon what exactly?

I'm with Bobblehead. I can't stand the thought of gay adoptions. Any second now HH will pipe in with his "but gays are sooo loving" theme and the argument will start over.

My views are often stated on this so it's best I shut my piehole.

What bobblehead said is the crux of the matter. Believe it or not, there are still people that believe in the whole sacred union part of marriage - that it's not just a civil service or a joining of health care benefits, but a religious vow. Those people want to protect that definition for themselves more than they want to stop a couple of queers from wearing matching wedding dresses, holding hands, and being recognized as a joined couple. They can call it whatever they want, but it's not marriage.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Question though, by passing this law, does it prevent gay couples from the joining health benefits and other civil benefits of marriage.

Actually, there's a modicum of truth in what Skin is saying. If you look at marriage as a religious vow, then there should be no marriage for anyone in any state and it should be a purely religious institution. If however you look to marriage to be more than that and have any state involvement whatsoever, then any two consenting adults should be able to enter into the contract. The state should not be telling the church what to do and the church should stay out of what the state does. But it does seem like a lexicon issue more than an issue issue.

And P, you don't tell your kids anything about it. If you don't make it a big deal, it isn't. They see two men holding hands and you tell them that the two men are gay and that 10% of our population has always been gay and that there are gay animals and that's just how it is.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Actually, there's a modicum of truth in what Skin is saying.
    Oh, gee. Thanks.

You know what I meant. Many people are biased enough on the issue not to think there was any truth in your post at all.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Gay people can get married.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Ugh, this is absurd.

The real point here is, it was voted on. What ever the outcome. It becomes up to the people. NOT JUDGES.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    I think it will be far more troubling when I have to explain to my young children what is wrong with those two men walking down the street holding hands...

i might ask you to do the same

It should also tell us that any sort of liberal "shift" is bunk.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead
    i disagree on some level - i don't think pro-gay marriage is a mainstream democratic stance - not yet at least

Quote Originally Posted by falco
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead
    i disagree on some level - i don't think pro-gay marriage is a mainstream democratic stance - not yet at least
    I said liberal...with all due respect, there's a significant difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    What bobblehead said is the crux of the matter. Believe it or not, there are still people that believe in the whole sacred union part of marriage - that it's not just a civil service or a joining of health care benefits, but a religious vow. Those people want to protect that definition for themselves more than they want to stop a couple of queers from wearing matching wedding dresses, holding hands, and being recognized as a joined couple. They can call it whatever they want, but it's not marriage.
    I seem to recall something in there about til death, but thats pretty much out the fucking window too for like 55% of the marriages.

I don't give 2 shits if "the gays" want to get married, but I'll vote on anything that says they shouldn't be allowed to adopt. I don't care how loving the household is. Lets maybe put some more money into stopping these pregnancies in the first. Pass out condoms daily in high school. Its not going to make kids have sex more. Put condom vending machines in the bathrooms too. Make kids watch the "miracle" of child birth at a young age. Give them the class where they have to take care of a baby for a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    I seem to recall something in there about til death, but thats pretty much out the fucking window too for like 55% of the marriages.
    The success rate doesn't change the definition. Especially for those who are more likely to believe in their vows and to be in the 45%.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial

Why feel the need to explain anything? Why say it's wrong? Let them come to their own conclusions.
    As to the notion of adoption. My kids have plenty of friends with two moms or two dads. We went to these kid's weddings (3 this summer) They had gay parents, they chose straight partners. They grew up in loving homes....the alternative could have been orphanages or foster homes.
    On this particular issue, where there really is no bearing on anyone other than those directly involved, why should it bother you so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    The success rate doesn't change the definition. Especially for those who are more likely to believe in their vows and to be in the 45%.
    Then let the gays have a crack at it. Maybe they're better at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.