Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposition 8

Now you want to minimize the only homomonument in the world? You disgust me.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    She wasn't talking about the monument.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    She wasn't talking about the monument.
    Here Boy - fetch the sarcasm! Atta Boy!

Loving v. Virginia 1967
    Even tho this case was about interracial marriage,
    Mildred Loving's statement holds very true today.

"My generation was bitterly divided over something that should have been so clear and right. The majority believed that what the judge said, that it was God's plan to keep people apart, and that government should discriminate against people in love. But I have lived long enough now to see big changes. The older generation's fears and prejudices have given way, and today's young people realize that if someone loves someone, they have a right to marry.

Surrounded as I am now by wonderful children and grandchildren, not a day goes by that I don’t think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the “wrong kind of person” for me to marry. I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry. Government has no business imposing some people’s religious beliefs over others. Especially if it denies people’s civil rights.

I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about."

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    Government has no business imposing some people’s religious beliefs over others.
    I agree. Who's talking about religion?
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Those who use the bible as the 'truth'......and by 'those' I do not mean PR's.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker
    Thank you, Harlan. I learned a new word today--miscenegation.

There is a colossal difference between homosexuality/gay marriage and miscenegation/interracial marriage. That difference is that the Christian Bible, not to mention teachings of virtually every other major and minor religion consider homosexuality a sinful and abominable behavior. Mixing of the races, on the other hand, has little or no religious foundation, Christian or otherwise.

As for those of us of the conservative persuasion being preoccupied with the gay marriage issue, I don't think so. It's more like you lefties are preoccupied that way. The status quo, after all, is still with us, as is the bulk of public opinion--based on the Prop 8 results.

Liberals can whine all they want about separation of church and state, but the fact that homosexuality is an abomination according to Christianity is NOT a church/state issue. It is a matter of the will of the majority being supreme in a democracy--representative or not. And that will clearly opposes gay marriage.
    Quite funny Tex. As the bible was used extensively to show that interacial marriage was bad.

Exodus 34:10-16 and 2 Corinthians 6:14 were used.

And, even today you will find Christians who oppose it and can give you bible quotes.

http://www.thekingdomnow.org/content/RacialMixing.htm

And the KKK claim blacks have racially specific diseases, Ty. That's one of their reasons for propagating racial segregation. I saw it on Donavan (is that what that program was called?).

Extremists will always think up ways to twist their message. I only take extremists seriously when they try and kill and mame people that other beliefs than their own. Otherwise, I just view them as mental ballast.

My favorite West Wing episode:

The atmosphere was electric. The president of the United States was about to address a gathering of radio talk show hosts in the White House. As the president entered the hall, they all stood and applauded. All, that is, except one — a woman with strikingly blond hair, wearing a bright green suit. At first, her presence rattled the president. He lost his train of thought several times before he finally spoke directly to the sitting talk show host.

“Excuse me, doctor,” the president said to her. “It’s good to have you here. Are you an M.D.?”

“A Ph.D.,” she retorted smartly.

“In psychology?” he pursued.

“No, sir,” she said.

“Theology?”

“No.”

“Social work?”

“I have a Ph.D. in English literature,” she replied.

“I’m asking,” continued the president, “because on your show people call in for advice and you go by the title ‘doctor,’ and I didn’t know if maybe your listeners were confused by that and assumed you had advanced training in psychology, theology, or health care.”

“I don’t believe they are confused. No, sir,” she responded.

“Good,” said the president, raising his voice sarcastically. “I like your show. I like how you call homosexuality an abomination.”

“I don’t say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President,” she replied haughtily. “The Bible does.”

“Yes, it does!” he shouted. “Leviticus 18:22.” The president was just warming up. “I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I had you here. I’m interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She’s a Georgetown sophomore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be?”

After a brief moment, he continued: “While thinking about that, can I ask another? My chief of staff, Leo McGarry, insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it OK to call the police?”

Now on a roll, the president steamed on triumphantly. “Here’s one that’s really important, ‘cause we’ve got a lot of sports fans in this town. Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean, Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point?

“Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side?

“Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads?

“Think about those questions, would you? One last thing. While you may be mistaking this for your monthly meeting of the ignorant tight-a** club, in this building when the president stands, nobody sits.”

The president paused to catch his breath. The silence that invaded the room was deafening. The once self-assured talk show host slowly rose to her feet, her face reddened with shame. Her quick come-backs and commanding presence wilted away. She had no response. The president of the United States had left her speechless. The very Bible that she had used to beat up on homosexuals had now beaten her into submissive silence.

I propose that gay marriage activists get a skywriter to make huge rainbow flags all over the sky - every day until the populace gets to reconsider this issue for the 3rd time in CA.

At least it wouldn't mess with traffic and would cause a decent disturbance/interest.

Then someone would come along and paint over their skywriting and we'd have a court decision for who own's the sky. When the price of sky starts to get cheaper, we'll really be able to say, "the sky is falling."

I've changed my mind. I'm with Tex. Homosexuality is an abomination. And as it says in Leviticus 20:13 "they shall surely be put to death."

But, before we get to the stoning....we should do as Heysus said.."Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone." So before we pick a starting hurler, we have to sort out anyone who has committed one or more of the other abominations, and who, if sincere, will take their rightful place alongside homosexuals.

Of course, adultery (Lev 18:20), sex with animals (Lev 18:23), remarrying one's wife after she's had another husband in between (Deut 24:4), or approaching any woman during the time of her "uncleanness" (Lev 18:19). Cross-dressing is out (Deut 22:5), and that includes Halloween costumes, slacks on women, bib overalls on little girls, or a wife wearing her husband's favorite Oxford buttondown.

Other abominations include tarot readings, glancing at your horoscope, trimming one's beard, and getting a tattoo, even if it says, "Mom" (Lev 19:26-28). Haughty eyes (Prov 6:17) and telling lies (Prov 6:17, 12:22) are big abominations. Being untruthful also includes false weights and measures (Prov 11:1), or any other dishonesty in business. "Everyone who acts unjustly is an abomination to the LORD your God" (Prov 11:16).

What do abominators have for dinner? Rare steaks off the grill (Lev 17:10), No more surf and turf and crab cakes in Baltimore (Lev 11:10), a rack of ribs at the Bar-B-Que (Lev 11:7).

But abominations are not just about bodily functions. Charging or paying interest are abominations. Bankers and anyone with a mortgage, car loan or credit card debt will be unavailable to throw the first stone, regardless of the interest rate (Psalm 15:1-5, Jeremiah 15:10).

Graven images of other gods are an abomination (Deut 7:25). Thus the Happy Buddha on my dresser and the postcards of the Great Buddha at Kamakura that my friend sent me would excuse me from taking the lead in rock throwing, if I hadn't already fallen by the wayside.

My personal favorite abomination is wearing blended fabrics. Deuteronomy 22:11 forbids wearing a material made of wool and linen, but Leviticus 19:19 says it's an abomination to wear any blended material, period. Hence a woman in a man's buttondown can be doubly abominable if it's a no-iron, easy care blend of cotton and polyester.

I am sure that people of integrity, once informed of their own abominable behavior, will step into the circle and accept for themselves whatever punishment they were going to hand out to others.

Tex, when should we schedule your stoning?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    I've changed my mind. I'm with Tex. Homosexuality is an abomination. And as it says in Leviticus 20:13 "they shall surely be put to death."

But, before we get to the stoning....we should do as Heysus said.."Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone." So before we pick a starting hurler, we have to sort out anyone who has committed one or more of the other abominations, and who, if sincere, will take their rightful place alongside homosexuals.

Of course, adultery (Lev 18:20), sex with animals (Lev 18:23), remarrying one's wife after she's had another husband in between (Deut 24:4), or approaching any woman during the time of her "uncleanness" (Lev 18:19). Cross-dressing is out (Deut 22:5), and that includes Halloween costumes, slacks on women, bib overalls on little girls, or a wife wearing her husband's favorite Oxford buttondown.

Other abominations include tarot readings, glancing at your horoscope, trimming one's beard, and getting a tattoo, even if it says, "Mom" (Lev 19:26-28). Haughty eyes (Prov 6:17) and telling lies (Prov 6:17, 12:22) are big abominations. Being untruthful also includes false weights and measures (Prov 11:1), or any other dishonesty in business. "Everyone who acts unjustly is an abomination to the LORD your God" (Prov 11:16).

What do abominators have for dinner? Rare steaks off the grill (Lev 17:10), No more surf and turf and crab cakes in Baltimore (Lev 11:10), a rack of ribs at the Bar-B-Que (Lev 11:7).

But abominations are not just about bodily functions. Charging or paying interest are abominations. Bankers and anyone with a mortgage, car loan or credit card debt will be unavailable to throw the first stone, regardless of the interest rate (Psalm 15:1-5, Jeremiah 15:10).

Graven images of other gods are an abomination (Deut 7:25). Thus the Happy Buddha on my dresser and the postcards of the Great Buddha at Kamakura that my friend sent me would excuse me from taking the lead in rock throwing, if I hadn't already fallen by the wayside.

My personal favorite abomination is wearing blended fabrics. Deuteronomy 22:11 forbids wearing a material made of wool and linen, but Leviticus 19:19 says it's an abomination to wear any blended material, period. Hence a woman in a man's buttondown can be doubly abominable if it's a no-iron, easy care blend of cotton and polyester.

I am sure that people of integrity, once informed of their own abominable behavior, will step into the circle and accept for themselves whatever punishment they were going to hand out to others.

Tyrone since when do you cut and paste?

http://home.earthlink.net/~ggghostie/abominations.html

Why do always bring up religion?
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

When it is good i will cut and paste. I use to have that email about stoning women and what to do about a coworker that shaved his beard..but, i couldn't find it. THis seemed to do just fine.

When will we be commencing your stoning....i see you as a "unclean" kinda perv!

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    My favorite West Wing episode
    Neat-o.

Quote Originally Posted by falco
    Tyrone since when do you cut and paste?

http://home.earthlink.net/~ggghostie/abominations.html
    Ty obviously authored the piece. Ty does not plagiarize!

When it is good i will cut and paste. I use to have that email about stoning women and what to do about a coworker that shaved his beard..but, i couldn't find it. THis seemed to do just fine.

When will we be commencing your stoning....i see you as a "unclean" kinda perv!
    ahh - if you are going to be perv, take it all the way I say...i have had my eye on mraynrand ever since his species conversion :P

That's beautiful stuff PIP and Ty. Of course, we know that a blow hard radio commentator would never be shouted into silence by the president (that pretty much kill the authenticity of that fiction!)

Consider: 1 Corinthians also says about the sexually immoral: "But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the spirit of God"

Leviticus also commands that you should not lie with your father's wife, that you should not withhold wages from your workers, and you should not defraud your neighbor or rob him. You should not pervert justice, should not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great (standing for a president, say), but judge your neighbor fairly.

Looks like our tidy little liberal fictional president (who seems a lot like our not so fictional president elect) was choosing passages a la carte - as is Ty Bigguns. Not to mention out of historical context.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Thanx for making my point for me Rand. Using the bible in today's society is foolish at best.

Game. Set. Match.

Thanx for making my point for me Rand. Using the bible in today's society is foolish at best.

Game. Set. Match.
    It is if you don't understand it.

Down, Set, Hut.