Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposition 8

god look at all the typos in that sentence...that what happens when i type angry...

sort of like how mraynrand has been since the election was called for obama...

Senior Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor
    Who's talking about laws? We're talking about two doods holding hands and Partial feeling all homophobic about it. He's one of those guys that thinks all the gays are looking at him because they want him.

As far as the legal side goes, I've staked my position earlier in this thread.
    The topic of this thread is a legal ban on gay marriage. I had just assumed that we were all talking about laws... My bad.

If Partial wants to be homophobic, that is his right. He just shouldn't expect the government to pass laws prohibiting gays from walking down the street holding hands. If he's got some problem with it, it's his own problem to deal with, not America's.

Besides, what pray tell do you think the gays are thinking when Partial can't simply look away from them holding hands as they walk down the street?
    Well our conversation was all quoted from the two guys holding hands, so I assumed we were talking about guys holding hands.

I don't think we need laws preventing them from holding hands. Giving them their own little fenced-in communes should do the trick. Then we don't have to see them, and we wouldn't have to answer such difficult questions. I bet we could even send them food once a week.
    My original post was a question posed to Partial asking him to explain what is wrong with two guys holding hands, and it just spiraled from there.

Great, even more ghettos. And more welfare. Great plan.

I say we just man up and answer the difficult questions rather than herd groups of people we don't like into tiny little fenced in communities. The questions aren't all that difficult anyhow.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

I am with Partial. He has a pretty naive way of trying to get his message across for many of you intellectuals, but me being an Aussie, I seem to understand his basics better.

I was revolted the first time I saw two men dancing in public. Revolted. I am definitely homophobic when it comes to public gestures of affection between two males. And, I don't want to have to explain it to my kids any more than Partial.

And PIP, I really couldn't give a toss about how many gay parented kids' weddings you've been to. God didn't want it that way. He or She made us like we are and who are we to challenge Divine Design?

Look, if Gays wanna "marry" and have the same legal benefits concerning rights in visiting hospitals etc, go ahead. But, keep it outta my face and don't try and adopt my kid if something happens to me.

I am offended by it and I hate the AIDS/HIV epidemic you as a minority spread in the Western World. I despise Bi-Sexual men even more for that last claim.

Oh and one more thing, Gun: I can fucking well expect Government to install laws based upon MY opinions if I vote them in based on policies that reflect my opinions.

Gays are allowed to marry. As long as they marry someone of the opposite sex. Nobody has ever made it illegal for gays to marry.

The question is whether or not we should redefine marriage.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Senior Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    I am with Partial. He has a pretty naive way of trying to get his message across for many of you intellectuals, but me being an Aussie, I seem to understand his basics better.

I was revolted the first time I saw two men dancing in public. Revolted. I am definitely homophobic when it comes to public gestures of affection between two males. And, I don't want to have to explain it to my kids any more than Partial.

And PIP, I really couldn't give a toss about how many gay parented kids' weddings you've been to. God didn't want it that way. He or She made us like we are and who are we to challenge Divine Design?

Look, if Gays wanna "marry" and have the same legal benefits concerning rights in visiting hospitals etc, go ahead. But, keep it outta my face and don't try and adopt my kid if something happens to me.

I am offended by it and I hate the AIDS/HIV epidemic you as a minority spread in the Western World. I despise Bi-Sexual men even more for that last claim.

Tarlam, I respect your opinions and fully believe you should have the right to them. But, from a legal perspective, where is the justification for a ban on gay unions? Where is the justification for a LEGAL ban against gay couples walking down the street? Just so you don't have to explain that everyone is different to your children?

If straight people have a homophobia, they need to either a) learn to be more accepting of different cultures, or b) take it upon themselves to find their own quiet corner of society where they won't have to deal with this issue. It is not the government's problem. I would expect that the government has more important issues to focus on right now. Gay unions pose no structural or economical or terrorist threat to this country. They are merely an annoyance to some. This is one of the most unimportant issues on the ballot this year.

Senior Rat HOFer
    Oh, and please leave God out of it. Not everyone in this country is Christian, or religious for that matter. And, unless I missed something in American History class, God didn't write our Constitution or make any of the amendments to it. I do recall learning something about separation of church and state. Unless I was seeing that in my daydreams while the teacher was telling us how God made this wonderful country, I don't think it matters what is said in the Bible. Homosexuality may be a Christian sin, but it is not an American crime to be homosexual - even in public.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by falco
    god look at all the typos in that sentence...that what happens when i type angry...

sort of like how mraynrand has been since the election was called for obama...
    Geezus u r a basterd. ALL,l I hav to sey to u is faqk u. U wul hafve a hard tyum typing with paws like theses. Woof.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

The questions aren't all that difficult anyhow.
    Anything past 3 pages is officially difficult.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Senior Rat HOFer
    The questions aren't all that difficult anyhow.
    Anything past 3 pages is officially difficult.
    LOL, agreed.

If you can make the font bold and big enough to turn "Daddy, what are those two guys over there doing?" into a 3 page question, maybe it's best to just leave it alone.

Or were we talking about something else again?

Or were we talking about something else again?
    We could talk about Partial's latent gayness.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Let's talk about why Tarlam!!!!! is so easily offended. I know, it's unpopular to pick on Tarlam!, but inquiring minds really want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    I think it will be far more troubling when I have to explain to my young children what is wrong with those two men walking down the street holding hands...

Please think before you speak.
    Why don't you think before you speak? How do you tie in holding hands and marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!

So, God didn't make all the gay animals?

Gay men and women have chosen this lifestyle throughout the centuries? They choose to be ostracized, killed humiliated, etc.

Being gay is part of nature.

Look at what you people have done!! One thread and I have to agree with Harlan, Skinbasket AND Tyrone? Yeesh. First off to the question that started the whole thing.

Partial. Have a little imagination and learn to think on your feet. It comes in very handy in parenting. Until then, go with Skin's advice and DO. NOT. HAVE. CHILDREN. You do not explain the birds and bees to little kids. It is unnecessary. Give them a simple answer and it will be fine.

As to the question of gay marriage, I have to agree with Harlan. I think I probably even said so earlier in the thread, but if there are consenting adults that we are willing to legislate should not be married, then that's fine. Get the government out of the marriage business and put it in church where it belongs. Make a legal union between two people (gay or straight) called a civil union and leave God's definition to his church. Same rights apply to all in a civil union by the way.

Lastly, Tar, much as I love ya, and I think you are entitled to your own views, if we should accept that God made us like we are, then you have to accept that God made about 10% of us gay for whatever reason. Maybe he did it as a test to see how his children treated their fellow humans, you know that first stone and judgment stuff Zool was talking about.

There. Problem solved. Now can we please find an easier source of geothermal heat rather than core drilling or something so we can solve an actual problem? You're worried about what to tell your kids, P, think about how you're going to explain to them that their parents generations ran them out of oil when there were renewable options that weren't properly pursued. You'll find two guys holding hands a much easier conversation.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33
    If gay rights activists wanted change, they should propose their own measure and not hide behind appeals, lawyers and judges that don't speak for the people.
    The consitution has more force than the popular will.

appeals, lawyers and judges determine if laws are constitutional.

Maybe we should not have a constitution or bill of rights, just let the people decide everything. or not. there's some wisdom behind setting some principles above the sway of popular opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    So, God didn't make all the gay animals?
    God didn't make, all the gay animals,and it don't rain, in indianapolis in the summer time.
    And there's no such thing as dr. seuss or disney land and mother goose, no nursery rhymes.
    God didn't make little green apples, and it don't snow in minneapolis when the winter comes.
    And there's no such thing as make-believe, puppy dogs or autumn leaves, no bb guns.

Re: Proposition 8

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    That being said I am all for civil unions to allow gays every right a "traditional" couple has
    Two years ago, WI passed an amendment prohibiting civil unions.

Did you vote for or against it?

What bobblehead said is the crux of the matter. Believe it or not, there are still people that believe in the whole sacred union part of marriage - that it's not just a civil service or a joining of health care benefits, but a religious vow. Those people want to protect that definition for themselves more than they want to stop a couple of queers from wearing matching wedding dresses, holding hands, and being recognized as a joined couple. They can call it whatever they want, but it's not marriage.
    Sounds like you are OK with civil unions, too. Put your cock where your mouth is: Did you vote for or against the amendment two years ago that banned civil unions?

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    I'm Christian and Libertarian. On this issue, the clear answer to me is civil unions. They can have their own weddings.
    Another conservative for civil unions! This is better than Jews for Jesus.

How did that amendment pass by such a huge majority that banned gay marriage (which was already illegal) and made it impossible to allow civil unions?