Thread: Brett Favre on - the NEW WCO terminology and Reggie White.

Brett Favre on - the NEW WCO terminology and Reggie White.

Green Bay Packers / NFL News & Notes

LANGUAGE LESSONS NOT FUN FOR FAVRE

By Bob Wolfley / MJS

Virtually the same plays, but different terminology. That sums up Brett Favre's first impression of the Green Bay Packers new offense being installed by head coach Mike McCarthy. "I can't say it's been exciting," Favre said, referring to his experience learning McCarthy's system. The Packers quarterback told the NFL Network on Tuesday that observers won't notice much difference between the new offense and the old offense. He said he has had to unlearn 15 seasons of references in order to make way for the new. "The transition has gone OK," Favre said. "But it has been difficult. I mean, 15 years with the same offense. I think what makes it so difficult is, I think, when people watch us this upcoming year, for the most part, the plays will be recognizable. But the way we call them, the terminology, is totally different.

"For a guy coming in new, I know it's difficult to learn any offense," Favre said.

"But trying to wipe away the old, where one play last year was called one way, this year we are calling something totally different. I'm having to brainwash myself to what we did call, not only last year, but the last 15 years. Now, we are calling it something different. It's been difficult. I can't say it's been exciting. I think the concepts for the most part are the same. We may do a few things different. I've had to pay attention. Let's put it that way."

Favre made some national media appearances Tuesday while he was in Chicago promoting a product he endorses, Sensodyne toothpaste. Favre said he and a few of the Packers who played with the late Reggie White will travel to Canton, Ohio, for White's Aug. 5 induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Favre said those players and others are to take a chartered jet to the ceremony after the Packers hold a scrimmage at Lambeau Field the night before the induction.

"I'm hoping we get a chance to go that day," Favre said. "It will be emotional. I was shocked like everyone else when he passed away. Reggie White was the type of guy everyone thought would live forever. He was imposing, but yet he was gentle. He was a great friend. He was the only guy that would tell me he loved me on the phone, and I wouldn't feel uncomfortable. He just had that way about him. But also he could take tackles and toss them out of the way."
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Interesting comments by Brett. Who knows - maybe 'paying attention' will help him refocus. As long as his WR/TEs know where they're supposed to be (questionable last year - leading to 'errant' throws and INTs), I'm confident Brett can get it there still.

I also liked that Brett ditched his workout routine of last year and is spending more time practicing.

WCO Language ala Reggie:

"The wide receivers will run short patterns called hitches, as they are blessed with the gift of quickness."

"The QB, typically a white man, is blessed with the gift of quick decision making, and he shall make frequent passes to running backs behind the line of scrimmage, who are blessed with the gift of sticky hands."

"The running backs in these screen passed shall be protected by large caucasians, who are blessed with the gift of swift feet, much like dancing bears in a circus."

Blog Entries
    LOL,

Good one Harlan

Favre's return touchy topic

QB makes it clear: If he wasn't with Pack, he wouldn't be back

June 28, 2006

Brett Favre sneaked into and out of Chicago on Tuesday without getting booed. He was promoting a toothpaste in a campaign to find a "Mr. Sensitivity" to appear in a commercial.

"You know how sensitive I am," he said.

The unshaven face of the Green Bay Packers quarterback made him look more like the label Men's Journal attached to him two years ago as "Toughest Man in America."

"I don't know if I believe either one of them," Favre said.

It's also hard to believe Favre is the only NFL player on a recent top-10 list of most admired athletes because his decision to keep playing at 36 coming off his worst season has been second-guessed even by some Packers faithful.

"I was 'holding the team hostage,' whatever that means. Isn't there other news in the world other than what decision I make?" Favre said. "We're a 4-12 team. Whether I come back or not, what's the big deal? It's not like anyone expects us to win the Super Bowl one way or the other."

Favre pointed out that the Packers always have been willing to pay him his $10 million for 2006 without trying to renegotiate or push him out. His agent, Bus Cook, also represents Steve McNair, who was forced out of Tennessee and signed with Baltimore because of salary issues.

"I never said to Bus I want to leave too," Favre said. "If they would have traded me to another team, I would have said I'm not going. I'd much rather stay in Green Bay and suffer through another season than to go to another team and have these expectations put on you, 'Now we have Brett. We're going to go to a Super Bowl.'

"I just couldn't envision playing anywhere else and don't want to."

Favre's Chicago visit seemed like a ploy to soften up the citizenry before the Packers open and close their season against the Bears.

"When I saw the schedule I said, 'Well, I know we have to play them sometime.' They're good," Favre said.

Favre is 21-7 against the Bears, but was 0-2 last season for the first time.

"If you play 15-16 years, the tide is going to turn," he said. "I don't know if anybody has had a better run against a team than we have up until last year.

"I was impressed with their defense. They can run. They're young guys. Alex Brown, Tommie Harris really stepped up. Nathan Vasher. Urlacher is Urlacher. Mike Brown. They have some studs. They're going to be tough."

Favre paused the buttering up long enough to note the Packers' offense gained more yards and recorded more first downs against the Bears' vaunted defense than any other team last season.

"Aside from the turnovers (six interceptions), we had the most success against them," he said. "Not points, but we moved the ball. What does that mean? Not a whole lot."

Favre said learning new coach Mike McCarthy's playbook has made this off-season different from all others. The offense is similar to Mike Sherman's, but not the terminology.

"I'm not the only quarterback who has had to learn a new offense, but I'm probably about the only guy who has had to brainwash 15 years," he said.

Unlike other seasons, Favre even attended 17 of the Packers' 20 organized training activities, the supposedly "voluntary" practices every team emphasizes.

"I didn't even know what OTAs meant," Favre said.

He said he still would love to have receiver Javon Walker, now in Denver, but running back Ahman Green, returning from leg injuries, "looks the best I've seen him physically."

"I think we have four good tight ends," Favre said. "I think on offense the biggest question mark is the offensive line. We might start two rookies at guard. What can you do? If they're the best guys, you play them, but they'll make mistakes."

With free-agent cornerback Charles Woodson and top rookie A.J. Hawk, the Packers upgraded a defense that ranked No. 7 last season.

"I was a little bit surprised [Hawk] wasn't as big as I thought he was (6 feet 1 inch, 247 pounds), but he's all about football," Favre said. "He's all over the place. How good is he? They all look good in mini-camp.

"The early picks of the Packers since I've been around haven't done too good. [Terrell] Buckley, Jamal Reynolds. But I like his attitude and demeanor.

"Maybe we'll surprise some people. Going in I don't think a lot of people expect a lot out of us, which is good. Only one way to go but up."

Favre said 10 people asked him whether Ozzie Guillen won the sensitivity contest.

"Is he not sensitive or what?" Favre asked.

"I sat out there while [contestants] answered questions like, 'What would Brett's preference be? Puppies or kittens?' Or, 'What kind of ice cream do I like?'"

For $10 million, why would anybody want to retire from a job like this?

Not that he's eating much ice cream.

"I started working out about a month ago, as hard as it was," he said. "I wish there was a magic pill you could take and all of a sudden you could have a good hour-and-a-half workout in a steam room.

"I think they do have stuff like that, but it's illegal."

dpierson@tribune.com

Ahhhhh. The Ole Favre humor. woodbuck27
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Senior Rat Veteran Green Bud Packer's Avatar
    thanx 27. articles like the second one confirm for me my belief farve will play out his contract. i especially liked the jab at t buck.keep em coming.
    Think I'll roll another number for the road.
    I HATE everything about the Minnesota Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bud Packer
    thanx 27. articles like the second one confirm for me my belief favre will play out his contract. i especially liked the jab at t buck.keep em coming.
    Ilove that football player. It will be a sad day for me when I hear the words . . .

"That's all folks (fans) I'm retired."

I'm hoping for alll it's worth, that he has a solid season and plays again next year. He is still the face of OUR team.

He's really pulling for Ahman Green, and by gosh we need him to show us a miracle or the pressure on Favre will be too much.

GO Pack GO ! . . . GO Brett GO !