Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: (Senator?) Caroline Kennedy

Golly Gee Whiz, I can not argue with those hard hitting facts. You win. Name calling and all. Thank you for enlightening me.

(plus, since she's not running for anything, that last list doesn't really come into play now does it?)
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Actually, I have exactly and precisely the same thought as when Sarah Palin was announced. I don't have enough information to make a decision.

My feelings for Sarah grew over time....

Don't give me that Kennedy BS either. I'm no big fan of Ted. Then again senator is not quite the same as VP behind a president that is 72 and has had multiple cancers either.
    Zig-SHE'S NEVER HAD JOB! EVER!
    Here's a more accurate bio than sheepdip spin:
    http://www.biography.com/search/article.do?id=204598

Her qualifications are not outstanding, but they are not non-existant for a senator. She also has a lot of characteristics that are useful for a senator - name recognition, political contacts, fundraising experience, and a personal fortune.

However, I'm not particularly in favor of her getting appointed, as I don't like dynasty political families (Kennedy, Clinton, and worst of all Bush).
    ok dickhead-if we're resorting to name calling-where's the job? I don't see one. You know, a J-O-B where you show up someplace. Have assigned duties maybe, heaven forbid some responsibilities. Learn how to spell, keep the name calling to yourself and get a damn clue asshole.

[name recognition, political contacts, fundraising experience, and a personal fortune.]

You are a moron.
    The only moron is you.

After earning her bachelor's degree in 1979, Caroline worked at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
    She also began serving as the president of the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to providing financial support, staffing, and creative resources for the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum.
    Furthermore, being a writer is a job. Calling yourself a writer is one thing, but since she did write 2 books i think we can call her a writer. Also, being an editor of books is a job.

Like I said, it's just hard to comment on posts like this. It's better that they stand on their own merit. Thanks.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Like I said, it's just hard to comment on posts like this. It's better that they stand on their own merit. Thanks.
    Hard to comment or hard to admit you are wrong?

Whatever you say.

It's a done deal anyway. Besides we have our own "problem-children" democrats right here in Illinois. We sent one to Washington, but there's still a bunch here with their hands out.

So now we know! She was an INTERN! Twice!

Not to BLOW things out of proportion, but that's kinda sick if it was her uncle.

At least we know she's a good swimmer.

by that standard, we can expect soon to have Senator Monica Lewinsky--talk about NAME RECOGNITION!
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I'll be pissed of if she gets appointed to the Senate. There are plenty of people with real qualifications who should be ahead of her.

I have no problem if she uses her famous name to win an election, at least that takes some effort and public scrutiny. But to just hand her a Senate seat would be be disgusting.

What I want to know:

Who's going to play her in a SNL skit and have her say that she can see Greenland from her front porch?

looks like she voted about as much as Oprah:

NEW YORK — Caroline Kennedy, who wants to fill Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's seat, has not voted in a number of elections, including one race for the very job she is seeking.

The Democrat registered at her current address on Manhattan's Upper East Side in 1988. According to Board of Elections records, she missed several Democratic mayoral primaries in 1989, 1993, 1997 and 2005.

She also skipped the 1994 general election, when Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan was running for re-election. It is the same seat she hopes to take over if Clinton is confirmed as secretary of state in the new administration.

Her spokesman, Stefan Friedman, said Kennedy "recognizes just how important it is to vote" but has missed a handful of occasions over the last two decades.

Please...... She's about as much in touch with "the little people" as Madonna is with reality.

Princess Caroline is middle-aged, a Kennedy, and needs something to do besides fund-raising. Becoming a senator during the administration of America's first black president is all about the Kennedy family legacy. She wouldn't be serving the people of New York. She'd be a rubber stamp vote for Obama's social policies.

She's a person who cares about her community? Her voting record says otherwise, doesn't it?

Well, the Post is none too fond of her...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...599&s_pos=list

And here's one I really agree with about her treatment from the media vs. Palin. Interesting read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...1902599&s_pos=
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Well, the Post is none too fond of her...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...599&s_pos=list
    That's not "the Post." That is Charles Krauthammer's op-ed.

The second one, Kathleen Parker's article, is more of the same elite, inside-the-Beltway snobbery. I'm disappointed you agree with it.

The elites' bit about Sarah Palin, the stupid hick from Alaska, is pure bunk. They acknowledge her popularity, her accomplishments, etc.,....but they don't like her because "she's not one of us."

Caroline Kennedy, on the other hand, has done nothing compared to Palin, but she's "sophisticated," had the right upcoming, gone to the right schools and belongs to the club. That about sums it up.

The Kathleen Parkers of the world are the phoney ones. Double-standards all around. They don't evaluate people on their merits. They simply favor those who are most like them.

MJZ, why do you buy into their nonsense?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon

The second one, Kathleen Parker's article, is more of the same elite, inside-the-Beltway snobbery. I'm disappointed you agree with it.

The elites' bit about Sarah Palin, the stupid hick from Alaska, is pure bunk. They acknowledge her popularity, her accomplishments, etc.,....but they don't like her because "she's not one of us."

Caroline Kennedy, on the other hand, has done nothing compared to Palin, but she's "sophisticated," had the right upcoming, gone to the right schools and belongs to the club. That about sums it up.

The Kathleen Parkers of the world are the phoney ones. Double-standards all around. They don't evaluate people on their merits. They simply favor those who are most like them.

I disagree with your assessment of what the article says. It says that Palin was rejected on her incuriosity, and non-intellectualism (the do not appreciate "dumbing down" around here any more) yet they give Palin props (which I agree with in this instance) for having been elected to her positions and worked her way from Wasilla to the governor's mansion. It further goes on to say that as Senator Kennedy would have opportunity to do a whole lot less damage than the VP should anything happen to the Prez. This is true. That doesn't necessarily mean that Kennedy should be handed the job without proper vetting, even as a placeholder. The major rip on the Palin choice was that she wasn't properly vetted. This would likely wind up the same, though I will take issue with those who suggest Kennedy's done NOTHING. She has done things (just try writing a book once) and there are some things that suggest she might be able to use her name and connections to get some things done, but to just call and say she'd like the seat and have it handed to her based solely on her last name would be irresponsible.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon

I disagree with your assessment of what the article says. It says that Palin was rejected on her incuriosity, and non-intellectualism (the do not appreciate "dumbing down" around here any more) yet they give Palin props (which I agree with in this instance) for having been elected to her positions and worked her way from Wasilla to the governor's mansion. It further goes on to say that as Senator Kennedy would have opportunity to do a whole lot less damage than the VP should anything happen to the Prez. This is true. That doesn't necessarily mean that Kennedy should be handed the job without proper vetting, even as a placeholder. The major rip on the Palin choice was that she wasn't properly vetted. This would likely wind up the same, though I will take issue with those who suggest Kennedy's done NOTHING. She has done things (just try writing a book once) and there are some things that suggest she might be able to use her name and connections to get some things done, but to just call and say she'd like the seat and have it handed to her based solely on her last name would be irresponsible.
    Is there even such a word as "incuriosity"?

Kiwon, WHY would you be SURPRISED by Ziggy's swallowing of the elitist crap of that Parker article and the hate she spews about Palin? It's what she's all about, and her consistent sad position ever since the Palin phenomenon started.

I really wonder why liberal women are so threatened by a woman who is able to be strong and confident and relevant, while maintaining morality and femininity. Somehow, they seem more comfortable worshiping the shallow media-inspired dilettantes and socialites like Caroline Kennedy--who has literally NEVER succeeded in anything--as liberated women purport to expect in their role models. Yet she's Ziggy's kind of woman, and Sarah Palin--with all her accomplishments and her down-to-earth normalcy--is not.

God damn are you paranoid. She gave Palin props for working her way up. Her problem with Kennedy is that she hasn't worked her way through govt. channels. She didn't even bash Palin herself. (and for a change, neither did I if you read my post). She (and I) were merely pointing out why Palin was not accepted inside the beltway (or out for that matter) and Kennedy is more palatable to them.

I even said I didn't like the idea of Kennedy just saying she might want the job and having it given to her. What more do you want. It's not like you'd have taken a fair look at a democrat (any democrat ever in the history of democracy and given them a fair look).

God damn are you paranoid. She gave Palin props for working her way up. Her problem with Kennedy is that she hasn't worked her way through govt. channels. She didn't even bash Palin herself. (and for a change, neither did I if you read my post). She (and I) were merely pointing out why Palin was not accepted inside the beltway (or out for that matter) and Kennedy is more palatable to them.

I even said I didn't like the idea of Kennedy just saying she might want the job and having it given to her. What more do you want. It's not like you'd have taken a fair look at a democrat (any democrat ever in the history of democracy and given them a fair look).
    I'm wondering as much about your definition of "paranoid" as I am about the existence of "incuriosity".

Your problem--and Ms. Parker's problem is that you/she seem to think there is something WRONG with being more like good normal Americans than these beltway elites.

If you want to substitute "liberal' for "Democrat" in your last couple of lines, you might have a point. I certainly am predisposed to oppose anyone following that rotten philosophy--just as you are about anyone and any idea that would be considered conservative. However, there have been plenty of Dems in my political lifetime that I have agreed with to some extent and on some issues. Lieberman comes to mind, as well as many "blue dog" or southern Democrats in the past.

I'm sorry Tex........Lieberman? Here in CT, his days as Sen. are numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    Yup, go against the Democratic machine enough and they'll ditch you in a heartbeat.

Never mind the fact that Lieberman has done some significant work during his tenure.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean
    Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    Yup, go against the Democratic machine enough and they'll ditch you in a heartbeat.

Never mind the fact that Lieberman has done some significant work during his tenure.
    I thought they took their best shot at him the last time around, and the people decided to keep him.

He's a waffle-er. With Joe, it's which way is the wind blowing and it always seems to benefit him.
    First he's a Dem, then he's an Ind., then he leans Rep. He's all over the place.

This is the kind poll going around:

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Joe Lieberman is doing as U.S. senator?

Approve 36 (45)
    Disapprove 61 (43)

If the 2012 election for U.S. Senate were held today would you to reelect Joe Lieberman would you consider voting for another candidate or would you vote to replace Lieberman?

Reelect 35
    Consider Someone Else 18
    Replace 48

If Joe Lieberman loses his committee chairmanship at Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs and switches his allegiance to the Republican Party would you that make you more likely reelect Lieberman more likely to consider voting for another candidate or more likely to vote to replace Lieberman?

Reelect 31
    Consider Someone Else 15
    Replace 52

http://blogs.courant.com/capitol_wat...-in-quinn.html

By the way, CT has a Rep. Gov. and she's doing an excellent job. There are times it's not about party. In my opinion, that's the case with Joe. If there were a 4th party out there that was looking good........he'd join that one.