Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark
This talk of Monks brewing beer reminded of one of the best beer experiences I have ever had. A monastery in Salzburg. Go in and pick out your litre mug out of a cleaning bin and get it fresh out of the wooden barrel.

http://www.augustinerbier.at/index.php?id=23&L=1

Twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays, we deliver our Augustiner beer direct to your door in the Salzburg city region – free of charge from as little as one crate of beer!
....that's too bad about Fat Tire being bought out, that was an old skiing favorite back in the day. Also, Freak Out, that stuff looks really good, they need to deliver down here twice a week.
Fat Tire is not a Miller product.

Miller bought Coors out here, not New Belgium.

I've been to the New Belgium Brewery several times. Their tasting room is a blast and you usually have to wait an hour or more in the summer to get in. That's why I go off peak . In fact, if you go to Ft. Collins, you can spend a nice day going to the local breweries -- New Belgium, Ft. Collins Brewing, and O'Dell. In addition to the brews they ship, they all have some really nice seasonals fresh on tap. Ft. Collins Doppel Bock is one of my favorite beers. O'Dell's 90 Shilling is also a very nice beer. Biere de Mars (New Belgium) is probably my favorite New Belgium offering-- an awesome spring seasonal Belgian-style amber.

Then you can head 25 miles down I-25 and hit Left Hand in Ft. Collins.2 From there you can go another 15 miles to Boulder for Avery, Boulder Brewing Company, Mountain Sun (XXX IPA is killer if you're into IPAs). I lived by the Southern Sun (Mountain Sun) for a couple of years and they had an evening happy hour from 10-close. $2 a pint for strong beers and scrabble, probably my favorite way to get sideways on a Thursday night back in the day.

Boulder Brewing always has a new brew party when they roll out a seasonal with music and specials on whatever they were tappin'. IIRC, Avery used to have an all-you-can drink for an hour in their tasting room.

Denver's mayor owns Wynkoop right in the heart of downtown. They've got some pretty stellar pours too, but I don't think they distribute outside of the pub. They make a Chile ale that's pretty popular. I never really got into it though.

There are several other places around here too. These are just the ones that stirred up some memories.