Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: great beers

great beers

ok, so up until about 5 months ago i was nothing but a bud light drinker. every once in a while i would try something else, but but light was my main go-to

then 5 months ago i started brewing my own, we'll call it shit. ever since then i have been experimenting with many famous beers from around the world

i just stopped at ridgeview liquor store just south of the stadium today after the game and found many hard to find beers that i have been wanting to try

right now i'm trying a trappistes rochefort #10, brewed by monks in belgium, and its unlike any beer i've ever had in my life. its amazing

anybody got any other good ones?

and don't say westvleteren. i don't need to cry anymore

Its kinda generic, but i really like Hoegaarden.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    i love hoegaarden, i had it for the first time a few weeks ago. have you ever had celis white? its suppose to be a lot like it. even brewed by the same guy

Quote Originally Posted by red
    i love hoegaarden, i had it for the first time a few weeks ago. have you ever had celis white? its suppose to be a lot like it. even brewed by the same guy
    I havent but I will be looking for it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

I havent but I will be looking for it now.
    its brewed in michigan, i think around grand rapids. soo it should be easier to find then hoegaarden. but i haven't been able to find it

RedHook has some nice beers.

The ESB and the Sunrye are excellent.

New Glarus has some great ones too. Wisconsin Belgian Red and Spotted Cow are my faves.

Another one that I really like but is hard to find is Mackeson Triple Stout. It's VERY thick and dark, almost molasses-like stout. Fan-dam-tastic.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

I like to try different beers too, but my fav always seems to be Blue Moon. I actually do not care for the general brands of Miller or Budweiser, although I will take a Bud over Miller. I like Chicago local beers of 312 and Goose Island. It's fun to try different stuff, even the stuff brewed at the local pubs. We have a few pubs right in my neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by LL2
    I like to try different beers too, but my fav always seems to be Blue Moon. I actually do not care for the general brands of Miller or Budweiser, although I will take a Bud over Miller. I like Chicago local beers of 312 and Goose Island. It's fun to try different stuff, even the stuff brewed at the local pubs. We have a few pubs right in my neighborhood.
    I like Goose Island. There quite a few places in my area that have Blue Moon on tap.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Goose makes a Blue Moon type called 312 thats pretty good.

My top 2 are newcastle and sierra nevada.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

ok, so i still have a lot of cool beers to try

right now i am trying an orval, another trappist beer from belgium

this one is a bit too hoppy for my liking, a little too spicey

however last night i tried a duvel, and i got to say it might just be my all time favorite beer. everything in that beer just hit me perfect

to me this was a liquid orgazim.....

well, you know what i mean

Here is the one I was talking about Red....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/10672/

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean
    Quote Originally Posted by LL2
    I like Goose Island. There quite a few places in my area that have Blue Moon on tap.
    blue moon is a lot like hoegaarden that me and zool were talking about

belgian style wit beer, unfiltered with coriander seeds and orange peel

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    Here is the one I was talking about Red....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/10672/
    i'll have to try that one, i'm pretty sure i can find that somewhere around here

If you can find Boont Amber Ale east of the Mississippi you should feel lucky. This California Amber Ale is awesome. Its at the top of my list and in my Fridge right now.

Code:
    Boont Amber Ale  just won the  Silver Medal   at the  2003 Great American Beer Festival  , in the American-Style Amber/Red Ale category, has several other medals  , as well, and was named the "best beer brewed in Northern California," by the San Francisco Bay Guardian.

Boont Amber Ale is a medium bodied pale ale with a beatiful copper color, a robust head, and the rich flavor of caramel malt. This very smooth and exceptionally drinkable beer is excellent with steaks, chicken, pasta, and other flavorful meals.

As with all of our products, Boont Amber Ale is never sterile filtered nor heat pasteurized, and should be stored in refrigeration. However, to fully enjoy its rich and complex flavor, it should be served between 40° and 45°F

5.8 % Alcohol by Volume

"It's bahl hornin'."
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean
    RedHook has some nice beers.
    I'm lukewarm on Red Hook. I like some and don't like others, but I did go to the Red Hook Brewery in Seattle several years ago.

ok, so i still have a lot of cool beers to try

right now i am trying an orval, another trappist beer from belgium

this one is a bit too hoppy for my liking, a little too spicey

however last night i tried a duvel, and i got to say it might just be my all time favorite beer. everything in that beer just hit me perfect

to me this was a liquid orgazim.....

well, you know what i mean

I am a str8 bud light guy myself but here in mexico since xmas its all corona darkhere. I've tried Leon and montejo but pretty much threw up afterwards. New years will be special as I have sworn off tequila but corona dark is the only beer in these parts of gto mex

I was trying to pick up a nice bottle of proseco at the grossly overpriced snooty wine shop (Dom Perignon anyone?) and came across some belgians and white beers. What's white beer?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    I was trying to pick up a nice bottle of proseco at the grossly overpriced snooty wine shop (Dom Perignon anyone?) and came across some belgians and white beers. What's white beer?
    usually its cloudy, very light, almost white colored

kind of spicy and usually has a hint of orange in it

these are awesome beers imo

what brand is it?

There were two. One was something like wittikirik and the other was Blue Moon Belgian White
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

It sounds like you are leaning towards the Belgian beers at the moment (very good choice) so these are six you should try: Duvel..which you have had I think, Saison Dupont, Chimay, Poperings Hommelbier, Piraat and Kwak. There are so many great beers from Belgium it's mind boggling.
    Make a trip to Bruges sometime.