Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: great beers

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness
    Any of you beer lovers from Northern Washington state?

I'm going to Bellingham on business, and wondering what available there wrt brew pubs and local brews!
    Here is the Beerfly report on Bellingham. I love the place......enjoy the rain.

http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/list..._id=US&s_id=WA

I've had some good stuff from Boundary Bay in the past......there should be no shortage of good beer to be had.

Any of you beer lovers from Northern Washington state?

I'm going to Bellingham on business, and wondering what available there wrt brew pubs and local brews!
    I'll be in Seattle next weekend.

http://www.washingtonbeer.com/
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

I ordered some hops from Hops Direct in Wa. Also picked up some pickled pepper hop shoots - should be good!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

I ordered some hops from Hops Direct in Wa. Also picked up some pickled pepper hop shoots - should be good!
    do you do leafs or pellet?

those are great prices, i'll have to remember them

Great pricing is the word for it.

A friend and I went in, and we got some cascade, chinook, hallertauer, centenial, golding, willamette and columbus. Also picked up some hop tea and pickled hop shoot!

I got some of each - leaf for finishing, pellets for bittering.

Can't say enough about dealing with them. They sell in quantities a homebrewer can use, a lot of hop growers won't sell in quantities under 11lb without a premium. Shipping costs were reasonable, and the product was well packed. There was NO air in those packages.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Beer could help prevent weak bones

(UKPA) – 1 day ago

Beer is a rich source of a nutrient that can help prevent weak bones - but it depends what type you drink, researchers said.

As one of the nation's favourite drinks, beer is a rich source of dietary silicon, which can help cut the chance of developing diseases like osteoporosis, they said.

However, not all beers are the same, with those containing malted barley and hops having higher silicon content than beers made from wheat.

Some light lagers made from grains like corn have the lowest levels of silicon while beers made from hops seem to come out on top, according to the study from researchers at University of California, Davis.

Their research, published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, involved examining 100 commercial beers and their production methods.

The experts said beer was a major source of dietary silicon - roughly half of the silicon in beer can be readily absorbed by the body.

Charles Bamforth, lead author of the study, said: "Beers containing high levels of malted barley and hops are richest in silicon.

"Wheat contains less silicon than barley because it is the husk of the barley that is rich in this element.

"While most of the silicon remains in the husk during brewing, significant quantities of silicon nonetheless are extracted into wort and much of this survives into beer."

Dr Claire Bowring, from the National Osteoporosis Society, said: "These findings mirror results from previous studies which concluded that moderate alcohol consumption could be beneficial to bones. However, while the National Osteoporosis Society welcomes measures to improve bone health we do not recommend anyone increases their alcohol consumption on the basis of these studies."
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Another excellent reason to drink more beer.

TY Howard.

Not only that, but it appears that many of the worst beers have the lowest levels of silicon.

I pounded down some of these on Friday:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Anybody familiar with Tyranena beers? Chocolate Imperial Porter sounds good.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/784/51827

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    Anybody familiar with Tyranena beers? Chocolate Imperial Porter sounds good.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/784/51827
    Some of the "Brewers gone wild" series sounds amazing. I'll have to look for some next time I'm in the region.

Pretty tasty beer. Would probably be welcomed by people who don't like the bitterness of a stout, but would like something a bit tastier than your usual lager. Would probably go great with any king of German cuisine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    Pretty tasty beer. Would probably be welcomed by people who don't like the bitterness of a stout, but would like something a bit tastier than your usual lager. Would probably go great with any king of German cuisine.

Sam Adams does a few decent specialty beers.....I've never had that one though.

I love really strong beers.....and have had a few different years of this triple bock most of the time it tastes like a soy reduction.....not what you shoot for in a beer.

This is another Black Lager that is actually rated higher by Beer Advocate than the Session or Sam Adams Black Lager. Have to try to hunt it down.

Are you going blind Joe? Try and get a bigger picture next time.

Roark sent me one of those in his last shipment....pretty tasty.

I wanted to be able to read the warning from the Surgeon General.

Estimated delivery Mar 2, 2010 by 7:00 PM
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark
    Estimated delivery Mar 2, 2010 by 7:00 PM

I didn't want it sitting on the porch while you were still in the Estados Unidos Mexicanos.

Looks like it's sitting on the front porch.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    Looks like it's sitting on the front porch.
    It has arrived and perfectly refrigerated on the front porch. Thanks.....looking forward to them.

Is everything bigger up in Alaska? Nothing but big bottles of beer. I am going to have to do a little research to see what these are all about........very entertaining labels.

13.2% ABV........I am glad I noticed that one.