Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: great beers

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    It sounds like you are leaning towards the Belgian beers at the moment (very good choice) so these are six you should try: Duvel..which you have had I think, Saison Dupont, Chimay, Poperings Hommelbier, Piraat and Kwak. There are so many great beers from Belgium it's mind boggling.
    Make a trip to Bruges sometime.
    i'll look into those

i also tried a couple form from westmallie, also a belgium trappist beer. the trippel was great and the dubbel was absolutely amazing

it inspired me to try and brew up a batch along those lines

Re: great beers

Quote Originally Posted by red
    ok, so up until about 5 months ago i was nothing but a bud light drinker. every once in a while i would try something else, but but light was my main go-to

then 5 months ago i started brewing my own, we'll call it shit. ever since then i have been experimenting with many famous beers from around the world

i just stopped at ridgeview liquor store just south of the stadium today after the game and found many hard to find beers that i have been wanting to try

right now i'm trying a trappistes rochefort #10, brewed by monks in belgium, and its unlike any beer i've ever had in my life. its amazing

anybody got any other good ones?

and don't say westvleteren. i don't need to cry anymore
    So you had some shit brewing up? That's not good...try Pepto.

Shutdown Rat All-Pro Charles Woodson's Avatar
    so what do you all think is the best cheap beer?

There is no good beer that you can afford. Remember last time you got caught drinking?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    There is no good beer that you can afford. Remember last time you got caught drinking?
    honestly na, well i mean ive just ben getting tired of the norm miller lite, and corona

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Woodson
    I discovered early on that cheap beer sucks and that it's ten times better to drink one or two bottles of a really good most likely expensive beer than a sixer or a case of shit. be an extreme beer snob. You'll save money, keep off the weight, and you will enjoy the hell out of your beer.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

point special is pretty good for cheap

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    I discovered early on that cheap beer sucks and that it's ten times better to drink one or two bottles of a really good most likely expensive beer than a sixer or a case of shit. be an extreme beer snob. You'll save money, keep off the weight, and you will enjoy the hell out of your beer.
    and you might get just as drunk

some of these trappist beers of like 12 % alcohol. thats like drinking 4 bud lights

any recomendations?
    i mean it doesnt have to be cheap just wondering what all of you older people drink

some of these trappist beers of like 12 % alcohol. thats like drinking 4 bud lights
    That's a good point. You have to watch out for the content in those beers. I went on the Sprecher tour and four of those little samples they give you were enough to give me a buzz (but I'm a lightweight at this point)

For Beers you can get anywhere I like Bass Ale and Sam Adams. In WI, I think Capitol Ale is pretty good and pretty inexpensive. I like Stouts, and The Irish Stout from Sprecher is pretty good - but it's seasonal. You can always rely on Guiness though.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Your right about that. A co-worker and I always go to a hot wings joint on Friday's for lunch. I always get a schooner (34 ounce mug) of Blue Moon and I always have a buzz for an hour afterwards. Once I got a schooner of Budweiser and it didn't have nearly the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by LL2

Your right about that. A co-worker and I always go to a hot wings joint on Friday's for lunch. I always get a schooner (34 ounce mug) of Blue Moon and I always have a buzz for an hour afterwards. Once I got a schooner of Budweiser and it didn't have nearly the same effect.
    You can have beer on your lunch break?

point special is pretty good for cheap
    I am a big fan of all point beers for a cheapish domestic. Esp their einboch and amber(which is strange because I don't care for most red beers) Their James Page line of beers are even cheaper and just as good if you can find someone who carries them.(my recomm the burley brown)

As for others my favs are newcastle and hackerpschorr weiss. Newcastle is just delicious to me the first sip is like candy.

I worked for a local beer distributer and our main product was imports and fringe domestics. needless to say I've tried many a beer.

On your recommendation, I had my brother, who lives in Toledo, pick up a couple six packs of

to bring back to me over Christmas. Unfortunately, he left them on his table. He tells me they were good.

I agree with the Point Beer suggestion for cheap beer.

Of course, there always is Grain Belt too.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark
    On your recommendation, I had my brother, who lives in Toledo, pick up a couple six packs of

to bring back to me over Christmas. Unfortunately, he left them on his table. He tells me they were good.

I knew you would come through on the Grain Belt recommendation. That is the worst beer from I can I ever drank, except for Hamms. probably because the last time I drank it was in a bar in Minneapolis watching the Vikings clean up on the hapless Forest Gregg Packers (you saw it). Acid in your stomach will poison any beer.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark

i've had one of their beers before, not the EF, but something like burning river or so. it was way too hop spicy for me

i've had one of their beers before, not the EF, but something like burning river or so. it was way too hop spicy for me
    Speaking of rivers, this brewery has some good beers....especially Unforgiven:

http://www.rushriverbeer.com/
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    Quote Originally Posted by LL2

You can have beer on your lunch break?
    Well, I'm self-employed so I can get away with it. I only do it onFriday though. The "co-worker" does work for the company I do most of my work for, and he should be careful. Life is short though, so gotta have some fun once in a while. Like playing hooky in HS.

hey, something non-favre related

i just ordered a 6 pack of westvleteren beer, the holy grail of beers. 3 bottles of abt 12, and 3 of abt 8

being shipped straight from belgium. cost me a shitload of money, but i can't wait to get it and finally taste the best beer in the world

hey, something non-favre related

i just ordered a 6 pack of westvleteren beer, the holy grail of beers. 3 bottles of abt 12, and 3 of abt 8

being shipped straight from belgium. cost me a shitload of money, but i can't wait to get it and finally taste the best beer in the world
    I remember reading about that beer and it sounded next to impossible to buy the stuff. It sounds as though the policy has changed?

Availability

The Westvleteren beers. In the glass is the 12°Currently, the beer is priced at €25.00 (Blonde), €30 (8°) and €36.00 (12°) per 24-bottle crate (excluding bottle/crate deposit). Glasses specifically designed to drink the beer can be purchased at the abbey in packs of 6 for 16 euro.

Buyers were originally limited to ten 24-bottle crates of the beer per car, but as the beer increased in popularity, this was first reduced to five, then to two. For the Westvleteren 12 in 2009, it was limited to one case. When making an order now, the type and quantity of beer for sale are revealed. Sales are limited to one order a month per person per license plate and phone number. Also, the beer must be reserved on their "beerphone" (+32 (0)70 21 00 45) beforehand. The monks will never sell you any beer if you just drive up to the abbey hoping to get some. The reason for this is to eliminate commercial reselling, and hence give all visitors a chance to buy some.

The current production is 4750 hl per year, and this is not expected to be increased.

Aside from the brewery itself, the only other official sale point for the beer is the abbey-owned In de Vrede, a cafe and visitor's centre opposite the abbey. All beers can be bought there for immediate consumption or take-away, depending on availability (however, prices are higher than at the abbey). Often there is no beer available at the shop. The shop also sells cheeses made at the abbey, yeast tabs (not yeast to make beer but dead yeast for health) and other Trappist products.

Buyers of the beer receive a receipt with Niet verder verkopen ("Do not resell") printed on it. The abbey is very much against resale of their beer, and it is their wish that the beer is only commercially available at the two official sale points. To this end, any Westvleteren beer which is sold anywhere else in the world is grey market beer, as no wholesalers or pubs are supplied with the beer, and the abbey is actively working to eliminate the illicit sales. [4]