Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: great beers

Quote Originally Posted by red
    {ilr]3]I have been enjoying "Shock Top" here lately. Even found it on tap in a few bars. I guess Anheuser Busch bought them out awhile ago, still a good beer.
    i bought a 6 of that once

honestly didn't care for it at all
    Agreed. Thought it was junk.

And, and don't think AB bought it, was there creation from the start.

Yeah, I've actually had that.

Was it drinkable?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Was it drinkable?
    Yes.....it actually tasted like pizza. :P

Cheese & Beer Rat All-Pro MichiganPackerFan's Avatar
    where exactly is founders? is that by the big GVSU building? i have been wanting to try them for awhile but haven't yet

i pretty much grew up on bells, having gone to western. oberon is still a must for me. i bought a 6 of hopslam though, and i couldn't drink it. way too spicy for me, i still have 5 bottles in the fridge
    I don't know how I missed your post : (

Founder's is pretty close to GVSU - near the new bus station downtown. They used to be on Monroe NW, but they relocated a few years back. I have such a craving for their IPA right now!

Every good local joint should be carrying their product too.

Quote Originally Posted by pasquale
    I'm glad you brought up Bell's and New Holland. Those are probably 2 of 3 favorites of easily available craft breweries. Believe it or not, my friends dad owned a Brewery, and he's friends with the owner of Bell's.

We grew up stealing his dad's beer and bells out of the giant freezer they had. Good times. Oberon and Hopslam are insanely good. Just don't fall for their annual Imperial stout, it changes every year and it's way overpriced from the hype. Last few years that I've had it, it's been awful.
    I haven't had much in my life that beats hopslam. It's not the sixpack that you want to buy at the end of the night though. "Holy shit, I spent $20 on a six pack" is not what you want to be saying the next day when you look at your wallet.

As good as bell's can be, i have noticed a lot of inconsistency keg to keg. I've had it here in DC a couple times now and noticed it's a thinned down version, almost filtered.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler
    Try Great Lakes' "Elliot Ness". It's an amber lager that I found quite refreshing.
    I'm a big fan of the Nosferatu as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganPackerFan
    Try Great Lakes' "Elliot Ness". It's an amber lager that I found quite refreshing.

Now that you're here, we need to go to Dogfish.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganPackerFan

Now that you're here, we need to go to Dogfish.
    I do need to check that out. I got to have their 60 & 90 minute on draft back at my home pub in MI and also their 120 and a few other bottled varieties as well. Pretty solid brewery for sure!

Anyone available to go to Surly on Darkness Day and load up on this years release? I'll pay for the six they sell to the individual and give you two? At least I think it's six...? I know it's $20 a bottle.

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    All my fave's have been mentioned already:

Dinkel Acker
    Chimay
    Fat Tire
    Sprecher
    etc.

A note on Sprecher:

I miss all of their beers. Can't get 'em where I'm at. A friend of mine brought me an 8 pack variety deal for xmas 2 years ago. He was dumbstruck at how thankful I was for what I was calling "the best present of all time".

I do want to nominate this particular thread for "thread of the year".

Now I am very thirsty and must go and find beer.

"Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    Anyone available to go to Surly on Darkness Day and load up on this years release? I'll pay for the six they sell to the individual and give you two? At least I think it's six...? I know it's $20 a bottle.
    Remind me and I will go down there. But you have to remind me!!! I have two monkeys running around the house humming Wilco songs all day that make me lose my mind a little.

Maybe we can make a trade for some of that Berserker Stout.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark
    This talk of Monks brewing beer reminded of one of the best beer experiences I have ever had. A monastery in Salzburg. Go in and pick out your litre mug out of a cleaning bin and get it fresh out of the wooden barrel.

http://www.augustinerbier.at/index.php?id=23&L=1

Twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays, we deliver our Augustiner beer direct to your door in the Salzburg city region – free of charge from as little as one crate of beer!
    ....that's too bad about Fat Tire being bought out, that was an old skiing favorite back in the day. Also, Freak Out, that stuff looks really good, they need to deliver down here twice a week.
    Fat Tire is not a Miller product.

Miller bought Coors out here, not New Belgium.

I've been to the New Belgium Brewery several times. Their tasting room is a blast and you usually have to wait an hour or more in the summer to get in. That's why I go off peak . In fact, if you go to Ft. Collins, you can spend a nice day going to the local breweries -- New Belgium, Ft. Collins Brewing, and O'Dell. In addition to the brews they ship, they all have some really nice seasonals fresh on tap. Ft. Collins Doppel Bock is one of my favorite beers. O'Dell's 90 Shilling is also a very nice beer. Biere de Mars (New Belgium) is probably my favorite New Belgium offering-- an awesome spring seasonal Belgian-style amber.

Then you can head 25 miles down I-25 and hit Left Hand in Ft. Collins.2 From there you can go another 15 miles to Boulder for Avery, Boulder Brewing Company, Mountain Sun (XXX IPA is killer if you're into IPAs). I lived by the Southern Sun (Mountain Sun) for a couple of years and they had an evening happy hour from 10-close. $2 a pint for strong beers and scrabble, probably my favorite way to get sideways on a Thursday night back in the day.

Boulder Brewing always has a new brew party when they roll out a seasonal with music and specials on whatever they were tappin'. IIRC, Avery used to have an all-you-can drink for an hour in their tasting room.

Denver's mayor owns Wynkoop right in the heart of downtown. They've got some pretty stellar pours too, but I don't think they distribute outside of the pub. They make a Chile ale that's pretty popular. I never really got into it though.

There are several other places around here too. These are just the ones that stirred up some memories.

Remind me and I will go down there. But you have to remind me!!! I have two monkeys running around the house humming Wilco songs all day that make me lose my mind a little.

Maybe we can make a trade for some of that Berserker Stout.
    I'm buying two cases this Friday so I could do that. The Berserker should be around $10 bones and is one of the best Imperial Stouts I have ever had. I will probably come that way for a game at some point this winter so we could trade then and share a few.

Anyone up for a Packerrats tasting?

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper
    This talk of Monks brewing beer reminded of one of the best beer experiences I have ever had. A monastery in Salzburg. Go in and pick out your litre mug out of a cleaning bin and get it fresh out of the wooden barrel.

Twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays, we deliver our Augustiner beer direct to your door in the Salzburg city region – free of charge from as little as one crate of beer!
    ....that's too bad about Fat Tire being bought out, that was an old skiing favorite back in the day. Also, Freak Out, that stuff looks really good, they need to deliver down here twice a week.

I've been to the New Belgium Brewery several times. Their tasting room is a blast and you usually have to wait an hour or more in the summer to get in. That's why I go off peak . In fact, if you go to Ft. Collins, you can spend a nice day going to the local breweries -- New Belgium, Ft. Collins Brewing, and O'Dell. In addition to the brews they ship, they all have some really nice seasonals fresh on tap. Ft. Collins Doppel Bock is one of my favorite beers. O'Dell's 90 Shilling is also a very nice beer. Biere de Mars (New Belgium) is probably my favorite New Belgium offering-- an awesome spring seasonal Belgian-style amber.

Then you can head 25 miles down I-25 and hit Left Hand in Ft. Collins.2 From there you can go another 15 miles to Boulder for Avery, Boulder Brewing Company, Mountain Sun (XXX IPA is killer if you're into IPAs). I lived by the Southern Sun (Mountain Sun) for a couple of years and they had an evening happy hour from 10-close. $2 a pint for strong beers and scrabble, probably my favorite way to get sideways on a Thursday night back in the day.

Boulder Brewing always has a new brew party when they roll out a seasonal with music and specials on whatever they were tappin'. IIRC, Avery used to have an all-you-can drink for an hour in their tasting room.

Denver's mayor owns Wynkoop right in the heart of downtown. They've got some pretty stellar pours too, but I don't think they distribute outside of the pub. They make a Chile ale that's pretty popular. I never really got into it though.

There are several other places around here too. These are just the ones that stirred up some memories.
    What? Not a mention of Great Divide? Blasphemer.

http://www.greatdivide.com/

What? Not a mention of Great Divide? Blasphemer.

http://www.greatdivide.com/
    I got musta got so drunk just thinking about all of that beer that I forgot

I got musta got so drunk just thinking about all of that beer that I forgot
    lol

i think you must be drunk right now

A few years ago, I was skiing in Summit County over Thanksgiving. An acquaintance at the time ran the local bakery....he cooked a turkey and put together a very good meal one of the nights. He had a fresh keg of Breckenridge Brewery Oatmeal Stout. I recall that as being a very good beer.

After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    {ilr]3]I have been enjoying "Shock Top" here lately. Even found it on tap in a few bars. I guess Anheuser Busch bought them out awhile ago, still a good beer.
    i bought a 6 of that once

honestly didn't care for it at all
    Agreed. Thought it was junk.

And, and don't think AB bought it, was there creation from the start.
    Well I just had anouther Shock top thinking maybe I had missed something or was drunk already the last time I had one. I still think it was a pretty good beer.

I am a fan of wheat beers and I have yet to find anything that is anywhere close in overall taste, aroma, consistency and quality as Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse.

No one makes beer as good as they do in Germany!

http://hacker-pschorrusa.com/products