Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: great beers

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness
    Went browsing through the beer section looking for interesting singles, and picked a couple of winners.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout - was great!
    Chimay Premiere Trappist Ale

My homebrewing career is coming along nicely as well
    Ahhhhhh....Chimay!!! MMmmmmmm!!! Wait. Is that the stuff in the blue bottle or the brown?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Went browsing through the beer section looking for interesting singles, and picked a couple of winners.

Ahhhhhh....Chimay!!! MMmmmmmm!!! Wait. Is that the stuff in the blue bottle or the brown?
    neither, is the red label

blue, the grand reserve, is my favorite out of the three

Quote Originally Posted by red

you too? mines actually had a couple of speed bumps. i lost my last two batches to contamination. which really pisses me off because i cleaned and sanitized everything very well, so i thought.

i really like chimay

today i picked up some smithwicks, which is my first time trying. i love it, very smooth. and i also picked up some other irish stout that i had never heard of before. o'hara's irish stout
    Just started back up this year, and couldn't be happier with the results. Kept it simple for the first few, some kits, but getting more exotic now. Have a pumpkin ale and an Aplefwein brewing!

Sorry to hear you lost some batches - get some sort of an infection? What was the problem?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

you too? mines actually had a couple of speed bumps. i lost my last two batches to contamination. which really pisses me off because i cleaned and sanitized everything very well, so i thought.

i really like chimay

today i picked up some smithwicks, which is my first time trying. i love it, very smooth. and i also picked up some other irish stout that i had never heard of before. o'hara's irish stout
    Just started back up this year, and couldn't be happier with the results. Kept it simple for the first few, some kits, but getting more exotic now. Have a pumpkin ale and an Aplefwein brewing!

Sorry to hear you lost some batches - get some sort of an infection? What was the problem?
    the last two tasted great after second fermentation, then i bottled them. after a couple weeks when i went to crack them open they were sour as hell and completely undrinkable. one was a breakfast stout and one was a continental pilsner kit that i had made two previous times and had no problems. so niether should have tasted sour.

i'm thinking the bottling spigot might have had something hiding in a crack, or maybe the wand

i think i need to just start kegging so i can skip the bottling all together

i've also now purchased a steamer to go a long with the various chemicals for cleaning.

i am now a full fledged brewing germaphobe

i've actually got a kolsch batch just sitting there, its done fermenting, i'm just scared to bottle it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy

Red label. Blue is the Réserve, White is the Trippel. All excellent!

lol - I forgot my avatar is my god with a Trappist! (ya, I'm going to hell for that)
    --

Contamination at bottling can be a problem. Where the tube fits over the racking cane and the wand, there's room for bacteria to harbour. I take my spigot fully apart and sanitize every session, but admit that I don't with my siphon.

Look on the bright side. You made your first lambic!
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/388/7435
    --

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    A box of goodies are headed your way Roark. I'll get you a tracking number shortly......it should be on the doorstep Wednesday. Surprise can of beer from Hawaii thrown in for a little taste of the islands.

"Book 'em Danno"
    Wunderbar! Everything arrived just in time for a long weekend with a Packer game.

This stuff looks more like a good soup (with all the ingredients)....this one in particular has caught my eye. I don't think it will live through the night:

Thanks a lot....this worked out great.
    Glad to here it made it down fine.....the Berserker is one of my all time favorite imperial stouts. I think you will enjoy all of it...the Obliteration 6 smells like grapefruit and Puna bud when you open it...just amazing! The smoked porter is one of my favs as well.

Contamination at bottling can be a problem. Where the tube fits over the racking cane and the wand, there's room for bacteria to harbour. I take my spigot fully apart and sanitize every session, but admit that I don't with my siphon.

That's right....don't ever throw it away. Transfer it to another carboy or cask and let it work it's magic.

One of best beers I've ever had was a dopplebock gone bad.

That's right....don't ever throw it away. Transfer it to another carboy or cask and let it work it's magic.

cam you save it at that point?

i thought the sugers were destroyed and the yeast was all dead by then

will the bacteria die off and restore some flavor?

i'll pass on the lambic, no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowardRoark
    A box of goodies are headed your way Roark. I'll get you a tracking number shortly......it should be on the doorstep Wednesday. Surprise can of beer from Hawaii thrown in for a little taste of the islands.

"Book 'em Danno"
    Wunderbar! Everything arrived just in time for a long weekend with a Packer game.

This stuff looks more like a good soup (with all the ingredients)....this one in particular has caught my eye. I don't think it will live through the night:

Thanks a lot....this worked out great.
    Glad to here it made it down fine.....the Berserker is one of my all time favorite imperial stouts. I think you will enjoy all of it...the Obliteration 6 smells like grapefruit and Puna bud when you open it...just amazing! The smoked porter is one of my favs as well.
    The stuff poured like a change of oil after 20,000 miles.....but waa very smooth, tasted very good, and kicked in pretty decent too.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

The yeast should be there, and dormant, but you're right, they probably won't do anything else at this point. Allowing the beer to mellow and let the taste of the grains and hops come through is what you're going to do if you hold on to it. The only batch I ever had to pour out was one that had a sulfur taste, and it just wasn't going to get any better. Tasted like a burnt match.

Unless you need the bottles or space, I'd say just see what happens. Open another one in a month and see!
    --

The yeast should be there, and dormant, but you're right, they probably won't do anything else at this point. Allowing the beer to mellow and let the taste of the grains and hops come through is what you're going to do if you hold on to it. The only batch I ever had to pour out was one that had a sulfur taste, and it just wasn't going to get any better. Tasted like a burnt match.

Unless you need the bottles or space, I'd say just see what happens. Open another one in a month and see!
    that sulfer taste was what i had i think, it was like bile

i already poured out both bad batches

Sour is good.....rotten eggs is bad.

Sour is good.....rotten eggs is bad.
    Yup, if that's what it was, it had to go.
    --

Did some beer shopping last weekend. Found a deal on some clearanced Berghoff Oktoberfest. Not too shabby.

Doesn't quite match up with Hacker-Pschorr's, but quite tasty nonetheless!
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Man alive......Lust is on tap again at MSB.

http://midnightsunbrewing.com/beer_7DSlust.php

Just amazing stuff.

This is the sour I was talking about here Red..

http://midnightsunbrewing.com/sales/SS_goodMojo.pdf

That started as a doppelbock.

The Mojo is so good.

Man alive......Lust is on tap again at MSB.

http://midnightsunbrewing.com/beer_7DSlust.php

Just amazing stuff.

This is the sour I was talking about here Red..

http://midnightsunbrewing.com/sales/SS_goodMojo.pdf

That started as a doppelbock.

The Mojo is so good.
    wow, i've never heard of that. sounds very interesting

Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Just saying.
    --

Throwing Red Flags All Over McCarthy's Lawn
    Gray's Oatmeal Stout

Score: 89 "Dark brown-black hue. Cocoa aromas follow through with bitter chocolate flavors and a medium-bodied palate with a smooth mouthfeel and a fruity, caramel finish. A very stylish and smooth oatmeal stout." Tasted 12/2002 (All About Beer, May 2004)

Yummy. Snake prefers the dark beers over red beers anyday. I'm a huge Guinness beer fan, but the chocolate, smoky hint of flavor is great with this beer.

Big, Black, Bold. Mobb would be proud.
    Snake's Twitter comments would be LEGENDARY.........if I was ugly or gave a shit about Twitter.

Was by the liquor store and saw some of that Gray's. Going to pick some up next time.

Been enjoying a lot of Porter's and Stout's lately. Had some Fulller's London Porter, and it was very nice. The 'burnt' flavour was really strong though.
    --