Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by LL2
    I think there is some truth in alternative medicine. More people die from doctors than from guns. One of the things we do not do is get our kids vaccinated. My kids never get sick. The only symptoms they have had in the past couple years, and my kids are young, are the runny noses and slight fevers from when there teeth were growing in. That is normal. It may seem wrong not to vaccinate your kids, because every doctor pushes it, but there is a small but growing group that do not do it. We know several families that do not do it, and some that wish they had not done it. America is the most drugged up country in the world. I don't have the statistics in front of me, and wish I did. We produce more than 2/3rds of the drugs in the world, and consume the vast majority of that. I could go on and on, but yeah...I think alternative medicine is not a bad thing. Be smart and go to a doctor when necessary, but also be smart about the care and treatment you get.
    Perhaps you should read up about these diseases you are not getting your kids vaccinated for. The main reason your kids aren't getting them is that enough are vaccinated that the diseases do not spread. If there are enough like you, the diseases will be back with a vengeance.

As for the oil pulling and other such, its fine if you like placebos. Any of these alternative treatments making big claims of curing serious and wide-ranging diseases should just be ignored as quackery.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    More people die from doctors than from guns. One of the things we do not do is get our kids vaccinated. My kids never get sick.
    The main reason your kids aren't getting them is that enough are vaccinated that the diseases do not spread. If there are enough like you, the diseases will be back with a vengeance.
    exactly!

they have nearly eliminated these diseases because of vaccines not inspite of them. I have two small children and have heard the talk about how vaccines may cause autism and other side effects. I think the key is MAY. But we do know what happens to people when they contract polio or mumps or any of these other infectious diseases that are being vacinated for. I'm willing to take the risk for the possible side effects than to take the risk of one of these other diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker
    I don't practice any of this silly shit, and I'm 62 years old also (3 months away) and look like I'm 40.

I practice tennis, golf, swimming, jogging (I had given it up because of boredom, but having an IPOD has brought me a resurgence of jogging), and lots and lots of sex.

I eat whatever I damn well please--greasy hamburger, tons of ice cream, lots of non-diet pop, no vegetables, nothing whatsoever that's "lite", fat-free, sugar-free, etc., and I'm healthy as a horse.

There's a lot of bogus propaganda going around about what is and isn't good for you. Much of it results in sacrificing enjoyment of life--which is something far more important than "eating right" or taking or doing weird stuff just because it's the latest fad.

I'm not denying that there are certain medical conditions that really do benefit from real medication, but it is after-the-fact stuff like blood pressure drugs--the only thing I do take, not all this off-the-wall usually phony preventative stuff.
    It sounds like you are enjoying life. We plan to replace all your delicious fats with those lacking trans fats. You will hate everything you eat, but you will live two months longer, if you don't kill yourself first.
    I don't think the technology exists to take transfats out of hamburger.

BTW, I was scrupulously avoiding injecting politics into this pristine thread--as I am often (sometimes justifiably) accused of. Let the record show, it was you, not me, aynrand.

I even avoided mentioning that the governor of New York is advocating an 18% tax (called by some at "fat tax") on all non-diet pop (soda for those in whatever part of the country). 60 some % of New Yorkers oppose this, but that probably won't stop the libs from inflicting it on them. The other reason I was gonna avoid mentioning that was the great good deed done by Governor Patterson today (see the other thread).
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

More people die from doctors than from guns.
    Doctors dont kill people. People kill people.

More people also die from rabbit related deaths than they do from meteor showers. It's time to eradicate the rabbits.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    I don't practice any of this silly shit, and I'm 62 years old also (3 months away) and look like I'm 40.

I practice tennis, golf, swimming, jogging (I had given it up because of boredom, but having an IPOD has brought me a resurgence of jogging), and lots and lots of sex.

I eat whatever I damn well please--greasy hamburger, tons of ice cream, lots of non-diet pop, no vegetables, nothing whatsoever that's "lite", fat-free, sugar-free, etc., and I'm healthy as a horse.

There's a lot of bogus propaganda going around about what is and isn't good for you. Much of it results in sacrificing enjoyment of life--which is something far more important than "eating right" or taking or doing weird stuff just because it's the latest fad.

I'm not denying that there are certain medical conditions that really do benefit from real medication, but it is after-the-fact stuff like blood pressure drugs--the only thing I do take, not all this off-the-wall usually phony preventative stuff.
    It sounds like you are enjoying life. We plan to replace all your delicious fats with those lacking trans fats. You will hate everything you eat, but you will live two months longer, if you don't kill yourself first.
    I don't think the technology exists to take transfats out of hamburger.

BTW, I was scrupulously avoiding injecting politics into this pristine thread--as I am often (sometimes justifiably) accused of. Let the record show, it was you, not me, aynrand.

I even avoided mentioning that the governor of New York is advocating an 18% tax (called by some at "fat tax") on all non-diet pop (soda for those in whatever part of the country). 60 some % of New Yorkers oppose this, but that probably won't stop the libs from inflicting it on them. The other reason I was gonna avoid mentioning that was the great good deed done by Governor Patterson today (see the other thread).

Guilty as charged.

For God's sakes LL2, vaccinate your kids!

As far as alternative medicine - locate a general practice/family doc with an interest in alternative medicine. There are some procedures and treatments that are for real and a god GP can steer you in the right direction, but be warned most of the alt. med stuff is no better than hair cream or snake oil. And there are tons of things that have been attributed to placebo effect. Be very careful.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Neat little Freudian slip there--"a god GP". That does describe some of them--in their own minds.

Our family prac doctor kind of sucks, but I still use him because he's nice. And he did grab my balls once, so we'll always have that connection.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    Our family prac doctor kind of sucks, but I still use him because he's nice. And he did grab my balls once, so we'll always have that connection.
    My last physical was a nurse practitioner just out of school. She explained how to do a testicular exam and was very thorough in the teachings. I think about her from time to time still.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Re: Alternative Medicine

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean
    The toxin foot patches I've also seen at a cancer clinic in Bristol, WI, near Madison.
    Bristol Club?
    No. It's near Madison, but found out it's not Bristol.

It's a center near Madison that was formed by an oncologist to use nutrition, etc. as a supplement to cancer treatment.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Re: Alternative Medicine

The toxin foot patches I've also seen at a cancer clinic in Bristol, WI, near Madison.
    Bristol Club?
    No. It's near Madison, but found out it's not Bristol.

It's a center near Madison that was formed by an oncologist to use nutrition, etc. as a supplement to cancer treatment.
    Bristol Club deals mainly in gynecology and breastology and has a 7 dollar cover charge.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier
    I think there is some truth in alternative medicine. More people die from doctors than from guns. One of the things we do not do is get our kids vaccinated. My kids never get sick. The only symptoms they have had in the past couple years, and my kids are young, are the runny noses and slight fevers from when there teeth were growing in. That is normal. It may seem wrong not to vaccinate your kids, because every doctor pushes it, but there is a small but growing group that do not do it. We know several families that do not do it, and some that wish they had not done it. America is the most drugged up country in the world. I don't have the statistics in front of me, and wish I did. We produce more than 2/3rds of the drugs in the world, and consume the vast majority of that. I could go on and on, but yeah...I think alternative medicine is not a bad thing. Be smart and go to a doctor when necessary, but also be smart about the care and treatment you get.
    Are you talking about optional vaccinations like flu shots, or the mandatory stuff like measels, mumps, rubella? If it's the mandatory stuff you're avoiding, what do you plan on doing for your kids' schooling? That's probably a silly question, since someone who refuses mandatory vaccines for their kid would be likely to reject public schools as well.
    I thought there were certain vaccines that were mandatory for school attendance also, but it seems they are not mandatory. I read where many will require the parents to sign a waiver if they choose to send their children to school and they are not vaccinated.

The co-worker I was talking about in the original post also did not have his children vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by red
    i need weight loss pills

i just need something to kill my appetite so i'm not eating all the time. i'd like to lose 20-30 pounds, and god knows i don't want to gain anymore

do green tea pills work?
    Crack looks like a pill, and it will kill your appetite.

You are healthy as a horse, but you have high blood pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    My family's vet is currently peddling herbs to reduce equine high blood pressure in Colorado. Maybe she can swing through Texas on the way back.

My family's vet is currently peddling herbs to reduce equine high blood pressure in Colorado. Maybe she can swing through Texas on the way back.
    Herbs are veggies, Tex won't take them.

Perhaps she could put them in ice cream.

like blood pressure drugs--the only thing I do take, not all this off-the-wall usually phony preventative stuff.
    You could probably get off the blood pressure meds if you'd let politics go! :P

Like a high-strung thoroughbred.

Perhaps you should read up about these diseases you are not getting your kids vaccinated for. The main reason your kids aren't getting them is that enough are vaccinated that the diseases do not spread. If there are enough like you, the diseases will be back with a vengeance.

As for the oil pulling and other such, its fine if you like placebos. Any of these alternative treatments making big claims of curing serious and wide-ranging diseases should just be ignored as quackery.

Checkout the folks in MN that just lost their baby to Hib I think, because they were so smart and didn't vaccinate. Bet they would like a redo!

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier
    Are you talking about optional vaccinations like flu shots, or the mandatory stuff like measels, mumps, rubella? If it's the mandatory stuff you're avoiding, what do you plan on doing for your kids' schooling? That's probably a silly question, since someone who refuses mandatory vaccines for their kid would be likely to reject public schools as well.
    I thought there were certain vaccines that were mandatory for school attendance also, but it seems they are not mandatory. I read where many will require the parents to sign a waiver if they choose to send their children to school and they are not vaccinated.

The co-worker I was talking about in the original post also did not have his children vaccinated.
    It's not a law that you HAVE to be vaccinated. Each state has their own legal requirements, and their are legal exemptions. The site below is one that has information on what is required.

http://www.909shot.com/state-site/state-exemptions.htm

Quote Originally Posted by LEWCWA

Checkout the folks in MN that just lost their baby to Hib I think, because they were so smart and didn't vaccinate. Bet they would like a redo!
    Sure, and I'm sure many parents wish their kids didn't become like the statistics below.

BARBARA LOE FISHER, NATIONAL VACCINE INFORMATION CENTER: Well I think it's very important for people to have access to this Institute of Medicine report. And they can do that by going to the Web site 909shot.com. We are linked directly to the Institute of Medicine Web site.

This report did not say that we should go home and not worry about the multiple vaccinations we're giving to our children. Quite to the contrary, it is a wonderful report that outlines in detail the possible biological mechanisms that could be at work when vaccines create auto immunity in some children. It is a research blueprint for the federal health agencies and for industry to do the kinds of scientific studies that need to be done to answer the outstanding question of whether or not vaccines -- the multiple vaccines we're giving our children -- have contributed to the doubling of asthma in the last 20 years in our kids, the doubling of learning disabilities and Attention Deficit Disorder, the tripling of Diabetes, and the increase of autism in every state by 600 percent.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...25/ltm.02.html

There are arguments for and against vaccines. There are many horror stories of kids dying after given a vaccine shot. All I say is educate yourseld and make your own decisions and not let others make them for you.