Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I told you this was coming

I told you this was coming

Here we go again!

Does anyone know how to nail trim onto a metal doorframe? I'm not really interested in trashing either the door or the trim doing this. By the way, my dad gave me a really cool method for cutting the trim if anyone is interested.

Also, I still haven't gotten a response from the guy at the window place. Useless trash!!!
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Senior Rat Veteran billy_oliver880's Avatar

Re: I told you this was coming

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Here we go again!

Does anyone know how to nail trim onto a metal doorframe? I'm not really interested in trashing either the door or the trim doing this. By the way, my dad gave me a really cool method for cutting the trim if anyone is interested.

Also, I still haven't gotten a response from the guy at the window place. Useless trash!!!
    You want to nail trim onto a metal doorframe....Paint me a better picture. What kind of trim and is the rough opening around the door frame wood or not?

It is quite possible for you to drill pilot holes through the steel frame and match holes with the trim and use self tapping metal screws. That should do the trick.

The door's been installed, and the 2x4 in the opening is covered by the metal door frame 1 3/4 inches. There is a light switch near the door which tells me that there is another stud but it's at least another inch out if not on the other side of the switch. Assuming that the trim (2 inches wide) is to be installed 1/4 inch from the door, I will have to nail it through the metal into the stud beneath it.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

The door's been installed, and the 2x4 in the opening is covered by the metal door frame 1 3/4 inches. There is a light switch near the door which tells me that there is another stud but it's at least another inch out if not on the other side of the switch. Assuming that the trim (2 inches wide) is to be installed 1/4 inch from the door, I will have to nail it through the metal into the stud beneath it.
    Drill holes through your steel frame and nail through to the stud...doors will have 2 2x4 on either side of the steel frame. Each 2x4 is actually 1 1/2 inchs wide so you are going to have 3 inches of nailing space around the door. Assuming you are going a 1/4 from flush with the inside of the frame you should be just fine. Confused yet...cause I am.

Thanks. I actually understood that quite clearly. We must be confused the same way.

Thanks. I actually understood that quite clearly. We must be confused the same way.
    Sorry Ziggy put I got caught up in a post and my Puter is really erratic and it took awhile. Too long ! Looks like your set anyway.

Ed.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Thanks, Buck.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    The screws and the pilot hole sound like good advice, or you could by some extra strong durable calk/glue and glue the trim on. They make some stuff and sell it at Menards or Home Depot.

Thanks, Nutz (though out here it's Lowes) Nice to know Menards is still hanging on. Are you talking like Liquid Nails? Should I use regular or the mirror formula that someone neglected to use when they applied a full-length mirror to my hollow bathroom door?

How thick is standard drywall, I don't remember.

I thought you were married?

He's not so handy. He does electric and spackling. Otherwise it's me. Except if it requires a circular saw. I can handle the miter saw, but the circular is too heavy.

Standard drywall is 1/2 thick.

Thank you. Now I know where to put in the last countertop support.

Did you get to put your trim on? Hope everything works out well.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    It ain't liquid glue, that stuff is kinda shitty. Go to the calk department, and actually ask the customer service rep what to get. I think it is called the gripper or something.

He's not so handy. He does electric and spackling. Otherwise it's me. Except if it requires a circular saw. I can handle the miter saw, but the circular is too heavy.
    I'm not too handy either. My dad never taught me how to do that stuff. I have to hit up a buddy or hire someone when I need things like that done..It sucks..

Quote Originally Posted by imscott72
    I'm not too handy either. My dad never taught me how to do that stuff. I have to hit up a buddy or hire someone when I need things like that done..It sucks..
    I'm with. I told my wife that's what she gets for marrying a programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    Quote Originally Posted by imscott72
    I'm with. I told my wife that's what she gets for marrying a programmer.
    Ding, ding. We have a winner. Computers are the anti-handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutz
    The screws and the pilot hole sound like good advice, or you could by some extra strong durable calk/glue and glue the trim on. They make some stuff and sell it at Menards or Home Depot.
    Don't do that. If you need to remove the trim down the road, you'll wind up wrecking the wall.