Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I told you this was coming

What do you suggest?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by billy_oliver880
    Drill holes through your steel frame and nail through to the stud...doors will have 2 2x4 on either side of the steel frame. Each 2x4 is actually 1 1/2 inchs wide so you are going to have 3 inches of nailing space around the door. Assuming you are going a 1/4 from flush with the inside of the frame you should be just fine.
    This is the best idea. Use a small drill bit though....smaller than the finishing nail.

1/32?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Senior Rat Veteran billy_oliver880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    1/32?
    I think you would be ok going the diameter of your finishing nail. You want to secure your trim to your studs...There isn't going to be much holding power between the nail and the metal frame...the nail has to go into the stud. Drilling slightly under might make it harder to nail into. Gluing is ok...if you don't want to have to drill through the frame. The problem is you will have to clamp it while the glue sets up. And if you have to tear the trim off you will end up tearing at the wall. I can see it working if you stick to glueing to the steel frame...otherwise drill and nail.

How are you finishing the door off?

Enameling?

Wood graining?

Leaving it primer colored?

It's already painted white with mullions buried between the two layers of glass.

It's already painted white with mullions buried between the two layers of glass.
    hmmmm......you should have gone with the blinds between the panes of glass....

I didn't want the blinds. Then you can never change your mind about what you want. I'll take a nice curtain, thank you.

I didn't want the blinds. Then you can never change your mind about what you want. I'll take a nice curtain, thank you.
    Well, good thing we're not married.......'cuz I want blinds, I DON'T want the door white, and if you hang a curtain with the magnetic cafe rod, half of the time it falls off when someone shuts the door.

I didn't want the door white either, but the other choice was about the ugliest shade of almond I've ever seen. I wasn't really thinking of magnetic curtains. If I can get this trim installed, which I've been avoiding doing like you wouldn't believe, I can hang a curtain rod on the stupid thing. The trim must go up by tomorrow, though as we're having company this weekend.