Thread: Any Amazon Kindle users out there?

Any Amazon Kindle users out there?

Likes? Dislikes?

Based on your experience, are you happy with your purchase?

A smaller Kindle 2 is soon available at $359. I'm considering it.

I just ordered one for my wife for her birthday, and I just got this email from amazon....

Dear Kindle Customer,

Today, we introduced Kindle 2, the next generation of our wireless reading device.

Because you already ordered the original Kindle and are awaiting its arrival, we're pleased to inform you that we are upgrading your order so that you will receive the new Kindle 2. You will be in the first group to receive Kindle 2, and you will receive yours as soon as Kindle 2 becomes available later this month. You need not do anything.

With a new sleek design, Kindle 2 has seven times more storage and carries over 1,500 titles. An advanced display provides even crisper images and clear text for an improved book-like reading experience. Page turning is faster, the battery life is 25% longer, and our new 'Text-to-Speech' feature means Kindle can even read to you.

Read more about Kindle 2 at http://www.amazon.com/kindle2

Should you wish to view or change your order you may do so any time prior to shipment by visiting: http://www.amazon.com/wheres-my-stuff

We hope you enjoy Kindle 2.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
    Amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/
    To much of a good thing is an awesome thing

? HOFer
    I guess I don't "get" the whole ebook thing. Not only are eBooks more expensive than their paper-based counterpart (you can find most books for about 5 bucks shipped used on eBay), but now you are paying for an expensive device to read them on.

I would love to hear why one would opt to go this route because I simply do not get it, and I'm sure I'm missing some element of the equation.

I would love to try the new Kindle to use while traveling but they are going to have to expand the offerings and price of material is going to play a factor as well. I collect books so I will always buy hardcopy.

Shutdown Rat All-Pro Charles Woodson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    I guess I don't "get" the whole ebook thing. Not only are eBooks more expensive than their paper-based counterpart (you can find most books for about 5 bucks shipped used on eBay), but now you are paying for an expensive device to read them on.

I would love to hear why one would opt to go this route because I simply do not get it, and I'm sure I'm missing some element of the equation.
    Its probably for people who read way too much...
    But that being said i think that right now their not practical, but pretty soon the devices will become cheaper and instead of carrying three or four books, you can cut down on space and just take the device

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Woodson
    Its probably for people who read way too much...
    But that being said i think that right now their not practical, but pretty soon the devices will become cheaper and instead of carrying three or four books, you can cut down on space and just take the device
    people who read way too much? Don't see much evidence of excessive learning around here.

A big advantage of that Kindle is that includes a free subscription to a network, you can buy new books or materials from any location.

I think the Kindle version I is passable. I would need even better screen quality to move me to get one.

Most of the stuff I saw at the kindle store in a brief cruise through was $9.99 or higher....that's to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    Most of the stuff I saw at the kindle store in a brief cruise through was $9.99 or higher....that's to much.
    ya, I TOTALLY agree. What a fuck-up! Why can't they figure out that people have a totally insatiable desire for music and reading! If they lower prices, people will just buy more and more, and more people will find it appealing. With downloads, it is no skin off their nose.

I would sell new, downloadable books or CDs for $5, tops.

Agreed, without the bricks and mortar distribution, you'd think e-books would be $5 or so.

But to answer your question about who would buy it, I would. I travel long distances for work, 12 to 14h flights, and I'm not a big movie fan. Availability of books on the other end is not good, and packing enough to last me 2-3 weeks is just not plausible.

Of course, I realize I represent a very small, niche market, so I hardly expect them to make a living off me...
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness

Agreed, without the bricks and mortar distribution, you'd think e-books would be $5 or so.

But to answer your question about who would buy it, I would. I travel long distances for work, 12 to 14h flights, and I'm not a big movie fan. Availability of books on the other end is not good, and packing enough to last me 2-3 weeks is just not plausible.

Of course, I realize I represent a very small, niche market, so I hardly expect them to make a living off me...
    I would load the fucker down with ebooks...but not for $10. $2.99 or so I might do...maybe...$5....bot not $10.

it's not just the bricks and mortar, think what they save without having to print the stinking book! Damn, I saw e-books for $15 and $20. Those fools are totally missing the boat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/te...kindle.html?em

I can't believe they have the nerve to sell a stinking short story for $4.

Interesting to see that Amazon has to pay the publisher the same price for a printed book as for a download! They claim they are losing money on every $9.99 ebook sale.

Obviously the publishers are the ones holding the line because they fear being cut out.

Amazon needs to set up Amazon Publishing, with their own editors, and start signing authors directly. Perhaps they signed contracts with book publishers preventing them from competing directly.

Re: Any Amazon Kindle users out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon
    Likes? Dislikes?

Seems like a high price to pay to read Hannity, Rush, etc. electronically.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    Likes? Dislikes?

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    Likes? Dislikes?

Freddie, the Free-Range Chicken is political?
    http://www.amazon.com/Freddie-Free-R...4312754&sr=1-4

Personally, I'd rather spend the money on an Audible.com account.

I can then download a book through iTunes and can listen to it whenever I want on my MP3 player. Plus Audible has special trial offers where you can download an audiobook for free just to try it out.

Otherwise, I'll listen to a book on CD from my library.

There's nothing like listening to someone like David McCullough (author and narrator of the PBS Civil War miniseries) narrate the story of John Adams or Harry Truman.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean
    Personally, I'd rather spend the money on an Audible.com account.

I can then download a book through iTunes and can listen to it whenever I want on my MP3 player. Plus Audible has special trial offers where you can download an audiobook for free just to try it out.

Otherwise, I'll listen to a book on CD from my library.

There's nothing like listening to someone like David McCullough (author and narrator of the PBS Civil War miniseries) narrate the story of John Adams or Harry Truman.
    Thanks, DD.

I'll check out that website.