Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Website

? HOFer
    A lot of things effect Search engine optimization. Digg is not really one of them, but an excellent way to get traffic to your site. If 15 people here would get digg accounts and we could synchornize a digg, we'd get it on the home page and it'd 100k+ hits very quickly.

I agree on the notion of needing a massive writing staff. That's why we need to focus as a group on improving the quality of the initial post on a topic, and posting a quick hitter of that topic on the homepage.

I'm not confident the Admin likes my ideas, but if he was smart he would trust me because I know a thing or two about designing and activating web sites

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    A lot of things effect Search engine optimization. Digg is not really one of them, but an excellent way to get traffic to your site. If 15 people here would get digg accounts and we could synchornize a digg, we'd get it on the home page and it'd 100k+ hits very quickly.

I agree on the notion of needing a massive writing staff. That's why we need to focus as a group on improving the quality of the initial post on a topic, and posting a quick hitter of that topic on the homepage.

I'm not confident the Admin likes my ideas, but if he was smart he would trust me because I know a thing or two about designing and activating web sites
    any examples?

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pasquale

any examples?
    What are you curious about? This site would be better optimized if a web crawler could hit all of the pages from an unregistered state but thats not the case and wouldn't have much effect anyway since the topics outside of that are pretty random and rare.

Another would be appending the name of each sub-forum to the URL. Anything to make it more human readable is going to help.

I would have to do more research for phpbb to be honest.

Jivesoftware, which we use at work, is an example of a forum with really good SEO foresight built in. Really good naming conventions, by default the whole thing is traceable, etc.

http://www.jivesoftware.com/clearstep/docs/DOC-1063

any examples?
    What are you curious about? This site would be better optimized if a web crawler could hit all of the pages from an unregistered state but thats not the case and wouldn't have much effect anyway since the topics outside of that are pretty random and rare.

Another would be appending the name of each sub-forum to the URL. Anything to make it more human readable is going to help.

Jivesoftware, which we use at work, is an example of a forum with really good SEO foresight built in. Really good naming conventions, by default the whole thing is traceable, etc.

You designed that page? No offense Partial, but it's not very impressive.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Ratings for sure. It would eliminate a lot of bickering and perhaps lead to a more informative forum.

also, get rid of a few more idiots.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket

any examples?

You designed that page? No offense Partial, but it's not very impressive.
    No I didn't make that page. We have a Jive software community at work, so I'm familiar with it. They have their SEO down pat imo.

any examples?

I was just curious if you have any sites that we could see that you have designed and if they are similar to what you are talking about.

? HOFer

any examples?

I was just curious if you have any sites that we could see that you have designed and if they are similar to what you are talking about.
    Sites I have designed? No, I'm not a designer. I'm more of an architect. Sites I have built from scratch? Why would anyone do that when there is plenty of good enough open source software to get the job done.

I'll send you the social media site I'm currently working on over IM as I don't wish everyone to know who my current client is. I will forewarn you it's an ambitious project that is still very premature, but we're beginning the activation process and so far people really like the idea behind the site.

sigh

? HOFer
    removed post by partial

sigh
    sigh? Excuse me? What do you do that makes you qualified to make any statements. I won't say any further as I'm not going to violate TOS.
    He only asked if you had any examples. A simple question to which you could not provide an answer for.

The site will not need your help or your ideas Partial. Thank you for your time.

Violate away, I can take whatever you have to say. You said previously that you have experience designing websites, then you said you weren't a designer...so excuse me for asking questions. I wanted to see what you had designed and if it was similar to what you are explaining here.

As for my qualifications, I don't have much experience in web design, I can't stand it, it's not my thing, but it's not rocket science. But I did not know that it limited me in asking you what you have designed. This is a thread about web ideas, lets see some in action.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead
    Ratings for sure. It would eliminate a lot of bickering and perhaps lead to a more informative forum.

also, get rid of a few more idiots.
    Irony alert.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator

sigh
    sigh? Excuse me? What do you do that makes you qualified to make any statements. I won't say any further as I'm not going to violate TOS.
    He only asked if you had any examples. A simple question to which you could not provide an answer for.

The site will not need your help or your ideas Partial. Thank you for your time.
    lame and unnecessary. At least Partial made positive suggestions.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator

sigh

First of all, way to post a deleted comment.

Second of all, this kid is clearly calling me out as I know him personally. Perhaps I misinterpreted him, but he was unclear imo, thus deleting my post.

As for not needing my help, well, okay. I guess if you're content having an average at best site thats fine, but it wouldn't be my preference... I guess if I bought a potential business from someone, I'd want it to make money for me... but thats just me

As for not needing my help, well, okay. I guess if you're content having an average at best site thats fine, but it wouldn't be my preference... I guess if I bought a potential business from someone, I'd want it to make money for me... but thats just me
    C'mon man. Why you gotta do this? You get into a fight with someone in the admin's "ask for help" thread, then you tell him he can't build a site when you haven't seen anything yet? How do you know what he can/can't do?

Assuming that anything put together by someone other than yourself is "sub par" is pretty ridiculous. I like you Partial, and I know you, but that would still piss me off if you said it to me.

I think the Admin wanted constructive suggestions and volunteers. Pretty sure that he wasn't looking for someone to take over design and management of the site.

I'll help in any way I can. When I see something specific I can volunteer for, I'll be all over it.

? HOFer
    I'm pissed at the guy for posting a deleted comment. That is bush league at best.

I told him how to make his investment successful. If he doesn't want to take my advice, well, I wish him the best of luck but don't see it turning out well.

P, you know as well as anyone that if someone quotes you, before you edit, the original unedited post will be quoted.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

I'm pissed at the guy for posting a deleted comment. That is bush league at best.

I told him how to make his investment successful. If he doesn't want to take my advice, well, I wish him the best of luck but don't see it turning out well.
    Well, everyone makes a mistake once in a while. He wouldn't go to the effort of removing your comment and then purposely posting it in his rebuttal. That doesn't make any sense.

You gave some suggestions, and some good ones, I think. But, 1st, your method of delivery kinda sucked, (I don't want to jump on your team right now), and you don't have the full "plan" that the admin has in his head either.

Maybe your suggestions will work with that plan, maybe they won't.... Guess we'll never find out now.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    P, you know as well as anyone that if someone quotes you, before you edit, the original unedited post will be quoted.
    Except he didn't, that is the point. I verified this. I edited it immediately. He decided it was okay to take content someone thought better of.

Pasquale and I have made up over IM. It's cool. The Admin is a first rate douche though. Who does that?