Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Uppity Black Angry at PoPo for Doing Their Job

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon
    Can you justify why such a distinguished scholar as Dr. Gates would continue antagonizing the officer by acting like a street thug and shouting to the people on the sidewalk about how racist the officer was as he was outside, off the porch and leaving the residence?
    So what? It's a free country. If somebody on his own goddamn porch wants to complain to passers-by about the behavior of the cops, that's his right. Where is the law against "antagonizing the police"? We don't live in a police state. Maybe there is no free speech here at packerrats, but the government can't take it away from us just because some police egos are bruised.

hoosier, have you read the arresting officer’s report?
    No, I've only seen paraphrases of it in the OP's link. Have you read the report? Where did you find it? I'm sure you won't mind posting a link....

Gates was arrested for disorderly conduct in public outside his home.

Can you justify why such a distinguished scholar as Dr. Gates would continue antagonizing the officer by acting like a street thug and shouting to the people on the sidewalk about how racist the officer was as he was outside, off the porch and leaving the residence?
    Like a street thug or like an angry black man? Maybe there's no difference between the two in your mind.

Why would Gates act that way? Well, maybe he felt he was the target of racial profiling and wasn't going to take it anymore. Maybe the cop had an attitude and Gates had an attitude and a pissing match began. My original point continues to be that WE DON'T REALLY KNOW because we weren't there. The police report and Gates's account are both subjective versions of what happened, and are no doubt colored by personal biases, self-justifications and anger. Why do you and Skinbasket keep referring to the police report as if it were written by a neutral, omniscient third party?

Wasn't Gates really the aggressor? Earlier, he had tried to use his status to embarrass and intimidate the officer when he repeatedly said, "You don't know who you are messing with!"?
    The police report certainly paints the picture of Gates the aggressor. Gates's account describes a different picture. Maybe one is right and the other is a fabrication. Maybe the truth is somewhere in between. We don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier
    Why do you and Skinbasket keep referring to the police report as if it were written by a neutral, omniscient third party?
    A cop gets in a shouting match with an angry old curmudgeon. Then he finds out the dude is famous. What do you think the cop is going to write in the report? OF course it will be CYA time.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    So what? It's a free country. If somebody on his own goddamn porch wants to complain to passers-by about the behavior of the cops, that's his right. Where is the law against "antagonizing the police"? We don't live in a police state. Maybe there is no free speech here at packerrats, but the government can't take it away from us just because some police egos are bruised.
    Quit fudging. Look at the dangerous disorderly conduct. Things were starting to get crazy. I think he had already called Al Sharpton and he was on the way. (just kidding)

hoosier, have you read the arresting officer’s report?
    No, I've only seen paraphrases of it in the OP's link. Have you read the report? Where did you find it? I'm sure you won't mind posting a link....

Gates was arrested for disorderly conduct in public outside his home.

Like a street thug or like an angry black man? Maybe there's no difference between the two in your mind.

Why would Gates act that way? Well, maybe he felt he was the target of racial profiling and wasn't going to take it anymore. Maybe the cop had an attitude and Gates had an attitude and a pissing match began. My original point continues to be that WE DON'T REALLY KNOW because we weren't there. The police report and Gates's account are both subjective versions of what happened, and are no doubt colored by personal biases, self-justifications and anger. Why do you and Skinbasket keep referring to the police report as if it were written by a neutral, omniscient third party?

Wasn't Gates really the aggressor? Earlier, he had tried to use his status to embarrass and intimidate the officer when he repeatedly said, "You don't know who you are messing with!"?
    The police report certainly paints the picture of Gates the aggressor. Gates's account describes a different picture. Maybe one is right and the other is a fabrication. Maybe the truth is somewhere in between. We don't know.
    hoosier, the police report is available. I read it yesterday. You can find it if you look.

Question for you: Why do you assume that the police officer is an untrustworthy source?

So a street thug, an angry black man, or America's most prominent Black scholar using racial taunts to gin up a crowd against a Caucasian officer is all equally acceptable behavior to you?

Question for you: Why do you assume that the police officer is an untrustworthy source?

So a street thug, an angry black man, or America's most prominent Black scholar using racial taunts to gin up a crowd against a Caucasian officer is all equally acceptable behavior to you?
    Where did I say the cop was unreliable? And who decided that Gates was taunting and not telling it like it was?

Why are you so quick to judge others, Kiwon?

I see that Gates is going to make a documentary about his experience.

I think Gates really should shut-up at this point. Gates is certain that the cop was being racially biased. The cop took offense at being called a racist. If Gates was wronged, he's already had his moment on the soap box.

I see that Gates is going to make a documentary about his experience.

I think Gates really should shut-up at this point. Gates is certain that the cop was being racially biased. The cop took offense at being called a racist. If Gates was wronged, he's already had his moment on the soap box.
    Gates doesn't do "moments" on the soap box.

Why do you and Skinbasket keep referring to the police report as if it were written by a neutral, omniscient third party?
    A cop gets in a shouting match with an angry old curmudgeon. Then he finds out the dude is famous. What do you think the cop is going to write in the report? OF course it will be CYA time.
    Nice job ignoring Gates' escalation of the entire event from the time the police arrived, and after he finally lowered himself enough to show the white policeman his ID. But of course, you guys are going to take the WP "story" as truth, so there's not much helpin' you there.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I like to run at night - late at night. So I head out at about midnight, run my 9 miles and as I'm opening my back door - which I left unlocked, after 1 AM, I see the red and blue fire up and the cop asks me over the loudspeaker. What are you doing? I tell him that I live here, I was out on a run and I'll get him my drivers license. I step inside get my wallet and show him my ID. Then I thank him for checking and he tells me I should keep my door locked. He drives away and I go take a shower. Despite being of different races, the whole thing went down pretty smoothly, despite the unusual circumstances. Turns out there had been some break ins in the neighborhood over the past few months and a lady on the street had seen some dark guy running around after midnight. She was suspicious. I would have been too. Ultimately I talked to her at a block party and now she knows I run late. I threw a rock through her window so she won't get too cocky, though.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    I like to run at night - late at night. So I head out at about midnight, run my 9 miles and as I'm opening my back door - which I left unlocked, after 1 AM, I see the red and blue fire up and the cop asks me over the loudspeaker. What are you doing? I tell him that I live here, I was out on a run and I'll get him my drivers license. I step inside get my wallet and show him my ID. Then I thank him for checking and he tells me I should keep my door locked. He drives away and I go take a shower. Despite being of different races, the whole thing went down pretty smoothly, despite the unusual circumstances. Turns out there had been some break ins in the neighborhood over the past few months and a lady on the street had seen some dark guy running around after midnight. She was suspicious. I would have been too. Ultimately I talked to her at a block party and now she knows I run late. I threw a rock through her window so she won't get too cocky, though.
    I feel better knowing that Adam 12 is still out there doing good.....and that you're getting a nice cardio workout in.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    Nice job ignoring Gates' escalation of the entire event from the time the police arrived, and after he finally lowered himself enough to show the white policeman his ID.
    I didn't mention this part because the cop and Gates have conflicting stories of what happenned. I really don't know who to beleive, you have accepted the cop's version. What we know for sure is that they got into an argument.

I do agree with you half-way. It is a joke for Gates to blow this incident up into a lynching of his personhood.

Joe Horn should shoot that fool.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I hate cops, they once took my fireworks at gun point.

Anyways,

Again this old fuck thinks he is Rosa "fucking" Parks.

The cops should never have arrested him...I don't care how much yelling he did. He proved he had a right to be there and they overreacted after he got lippy. That said he should let this one go now and try and regain some dignity. Continuing the racial bitchfest will accomplish nothing.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    The cops should never have arrested him...I don't care how much yelling he did. He proved he had a right to be there and they overreacted after he got lippy. That said he should let this one go now and try and regain some dignity. Continuing the racial bitchfest will accomplish nothing.
    Pretty much summarizes what I think. Cops didn't need to 'win' the pissing match once they figured out it wasn't B&E. They exceeded their role. Guy probably acted like an asshat but that doesn't give the cops the right to powertrip on the guy. Some good may come of this however - Al Sharpton might eventually get arrested.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Pretty much summarizes what I think. Cops didn't need to 'win' the pissing match once they figured out it wasn't B&E. They exceeded their role. Guy probably acted like an asshat but that doesn't give the cops the right to powertrip on the guy. Some good may come of this however - Al Sharpton might eventually get arrested.
    Because a cop was an asshole, that makes him racist? Cops are assholes to white people too.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    Because a cop was an asshole, that makes him racist? Cops are assholes to white people too.
    See fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    Cops are even more assholish when they have reason to believe you may be committing a crime and you refuse to speak to them or show them identification.

I've changed my mind. They shouldn't have tased him, they should have shot him in the cock.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Somehow Skin...........and it may not be a stretch..... you related to
    Byron De La Beckwith?