Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Uppity Black Angry at PoPo for Doing Their Job

Quote Originally Posted by packinpatland
    Somehow Skin...........and it may not be a stretch..... you related to
    Byron De La Beckwith?
    Yes, I'm a white supremacist because I don't immediately jump on board with this guy attempting to excuse his stupid, asinine, self-important behavior by claiming the police are racist and he's just a poor victim.

That's a stupid thing to say PIP, but not surprising given you're simply mimicking Mr. Gates' behavior. Don't refute the argument - just call everyone else a racist. It worked for him, after all.

HaHa! It's Obamatime bitches!
    You don't know who you dealin'
    with!
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    I've changed my mind. They shouldn't have tased him, they should have shot him in the cock.
    Talk to me, Red! RED!

Oh, Red, they've done gone and shot you.

[QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

You are a word nerd. Could you stand over by the math club? You'll scare all the hot chicks away.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    The cops should never have arrested him...I don't care how much yelling he did. He proved he had a right to be there and they overreacted after he got lippy. That said he should let this one go now and try and regain some dignity. Continuing the racial bitchfest will accomplish nothing.
    Pretty much summarizes what I think. Cops didn't need to 'win' the pissing match once they figured out it wasn't B&E. They exceeded their role. Guy probably acted like an asshat but that doesn't give the cops the right to powertrip on the guy. Some good may come of this however - Al Sharpton might eventually get arrested.
    Because a cop was an asshole, that makes him racist? Cops are assholes to white people too.
    Cops are even more assholish when they have reason to believe you may be committing a crime and you refuse to speak to them or show them identification.

I've changed my mind. They shouldn't have tased him, they should have shot him in the cock.
    I think once they figured out he was in his 'own' home and wasn't breaking in, they should have left. They certainly could have told him to go *uck himself as they left. That probably would have been satisfying and have gotten them in less trouble than cuffing him.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Byron De La Beckwith?
    Yes, I'm a white supremacist because I don't immediately jump on board with this guy attempting to excuse his stupid, asinine, self-important behavior by claiming the police are racist and he's just a poor victim.

That's a stupid thing to say PIP, but not surprising given you're simply mimicking Mr. Gates' behavior. Don't refute the argument - just call everyone else a racist. It worked for him, after all.

with!
    No Skin, the title of this thread is stupid, it started there.

Byron De La Beckwith?

with!
    No Skin, the title of this thread is stupid, it started there.
    Because this discussion has been about the title of the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Zool
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    The cops should never have arrested him...I don't care how much yelling he did. He proved he had a right to be there and they overreacted after he got lippy. That said he should let this one go now and try and regain some dignity. Continuing the racial bitchfest will accomplish nothing.
    Pretty much summarizes what I think. Cops didn't need to 'win' the pissing match once they figured out it wasn't B&E. They exceeded their role. Guy probably acted like an asshat but that doesn't give the cops the right to powertrip on the guy. Some good may come of this however - Al Sharpton might eventually get arrested.
    Because a cop was an asshole, that makes him racist? Cops are assholes to white people too.
    Cops are even more assholish when they have reason to believe you may be committing a crime and you refuse to speak to them or show them identification.

I think once they figured out he was in his 'own' home and wasn't breaking in, they should have left. They certainly could have told him to go *uck himself as they left. That probably would have been satisfying and have gotten them in less trouble than cuffing him.
    It sounds more to me like at some point during the confrontation, which he initiated, he decided he was going to make his absurd claims of "this is what happens to black men in America" reality by continuing to rant about the police as they left the place, after the police gave him more leeway than I would expect if I were found breaking into my own home, then refusing to speak to the responding officers and refusing to identify myself.

Gates said he plans to use the attention and turn his intellectual heft and stature to the issue of racial profiling. He now wants to create a documentary on the criminal justice system, informed by the experience of being arrested not as a famous academic but as an unrecognized black man.

Gates has come to see the incident as a modern lesson in racism and the criminal justice system.
    Kind of convenient given it's his specialty. Now Mr. Gates has some "street cred."

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I don't doubt that much of what you say is true Skin. Most of the time it's better, though, to ignore the guy on the corner in his bathrobe proclaiming the end of the world, rather than argue with him and grant him the credibility of your attention. The police should have replaced the tinfoil hat on Mr. (Err DR.) Gate's head and said have a nice day.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Which is also true, though a majority of the police officers I've met aren't great thinkers, and typically aren't good at being yelled at. As a matter of procedure, I'm pretty sure most probably prefer that their instructions be complied with as well. I think at some point, a person like Mr. Gates essentially arrests themselves through non-compliance, commotion, and sheer stubbornness.

I think at some point, a person like Mr. Gates essentially arrests themselves through non-compliance, commotion, and sheer stubbornness.
    Bingo!

and that has nothing to do with color.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnBay007
    I think at some point, a person like Mr. Gates essentially arrests themselves through non-compliance, commotion, and sheer stubbornness.
    Bingo!

and that has nothing to do with color.
    No, there's plenty of white guys who get arrested for sheer belligerence. Look. Someone forces his way into my house I want the cops there asking a lot of questions. Even if it were me that forced the door open. There was no need to get crusty in the first place...just show 'em your id and move on with life. Geez.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

You are a word nerd. Could you stand over by the math club? You'll scare all the hot chicks away.
    There are hot chicks here?
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    There are hot chicks here?
    Ah!.... nevermind.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Why do people feel the need to be smartasses to cops? Guy got on a power trip against the cops, was looking for a fight and got what he deserved. It's not a black thing, it's not a white thing, it's a dumbass thing.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead Craig
    Why do people feel the need to be smartasses to cops? Guy got on a power trip against the cops, was looking for a fight and got what he deserved. It's not a black thing, it's not a white thing, it's a dumbass thing.
    What you said. I think most of us know that many (most?) cops have huge egos, but it's best to be cordial, feed the ego, and move on. Most of us learn that at a young age. Being wrongly arrested and/or beaten down by the cops will teach you that. Of course, the beaten down part is usually our own fault for acting a fool while intoxicated.

This story epitomizes the side of the USA that I don't really envy. No doubt there was extreme prejudice and exploitation historically (not unlike in any other country). The pendulum of protecting the abused , however, has swung way past mid point and is heading back to the other extreme (racially e.g. Dr. Gates, domestically e.g. divorce settlements, sexually e.g. Roethlisberger's rape case etc.).

It seems to be sufficient for one to simply make a claim, albeit loudly and/or publicly, and enough proverbial mud sticks to the wall for litigation of sorts to rear its head.

I blame your civil courts system and the exaggerated compensation sums awarded for much of the woes.

And, I blame your lawyers.

What is Obama doing commenting over 2 minutes on this case with the national media? Obviously, he took the side of Dr. Gates in saying that "the Cambridge police acted stupidly."

.................................................. .......................................

Obama: Cambridge police acted 'stupidly'

After spending most of an hour patiently reiterating his arguments for changing the health insurance system, President Barack Obama turned his press conference sharply toward an iconic moment in American race relations: The arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. earlier this week by the Cambridge Police.

Gates was arrested for allegedly disorderly conduct -- a charge that was quickly dropped -- after a confrontation with a police officer inside his own home. Though some facts of the case are still in dispute, Obama showed little doubt about who had been wronged.

"I don’t know – not having been there and not seeing all the facts – what role race played in that, but I think it’s fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home," Obama said in response to a question from the Chicago Sun-Times's Lynn Sweet.

Gates, Obama allowed, "is a friend, so I may be a little biased here. I don't know all the facts."

However Gates, he continued, "jimmied his way to get into [his own] house."

"There was a report called in to the police station that there might be a burglary taking place – so far so good," Obama said, reflecting that he'd hope the police were called if he were seen breaking into his own house, then pausing.

"I guess this is my house now," he remarked of the White House. "Here I’d get shot."

Undergirding the long digression, though, was Obama's place as a new symbol of racial reconciliation, and his long past in the trenches of the politics of race and discrimination in the Illinois State Senate.

"Separate and apart from this incident is that there’s a long history in this country of African-American and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately," the president said, eagerly engaging the issue of racial profiling, a concern earlier in his career that has seen little White House attention to date.

"That’s just a fact," Obama said of profiling. "That doesn't lessen the incredibly progress that has been made."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi..._stupidly.html

Also: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...est=latestnews

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam!
    This story epitomizes the side of the USA that I don't really envy. No doubt there was extreme prejudice and exploitation historically (not unlike in any other country). The pendulum of protecting the abused , however, has swung way past mid point and is heading back to the other extreme (racially e.g. Dr. Gates, domestically e.g. divorce settlements, sexually e.g. Roethlisberger's rape case etc.).

It seems to be sufficient for one to simply make a claim, albeit loudly and/or publicly, and enough proverbial mud sticks to the wall for litigation of sorts to rear its head.

I blame your civil courts system and the exaggerated compensation sums awarded for much of the woes.

And, I blame your lawyers.
    Good to see you sexy. I think more than any aspect of the legal system, it's simply a culture of victimhood that's pervaded the people of this nation. One symptom of that culture is what you see in the legal system. You have judges that will always side with the "little guy" against corporations no matter the evidence. You have juries that do the same, claiming "we don't know if they're guilty or not, but they can afford to be." Mr. Gates is allowed to hide his inexcusable behavior toward those who uphold the law behind his victim status. And on it goes.

Very few people seem to believe in accepting responsibility and consequences of their own actions (or lack of action) these days. If shit doesn't go the way they want it to, it's always someone else's fault. Either someone with money, or someone in government. It really is sickening, and this new administration has done nothing but promote the idea of victimhood over personal responsibility. Now we're bailing out entire corporations, paying for poor decisions, pouring more money into the labor unions that have drained all profitability from an industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwon
    What is Obama doing commenting over 2 minutes on this case with the national media? Obviously, he took the side of Dr. Gates in saying that "the Cambridge police acted stupidly."
    How very presidential. Promoting the unassailable victim status of black America. Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. And he has the stupidity to make those remarks immediately after prefacing it with, ""I don’t know – not having been there and not seeing all the facts – what role race played in that."

Great Mr. President. You don't know what happened, but the black guy must be right.

with!

The facts of this case are so murky that both sides of the argument can believe their own version.

I am OK with Obama saying that the police acted stupidly in arresting Gates. I see nothing that he did or was even accused of doing that merit arresting him in his own home.

On the other hand, Obama prefaced his remarks with talk of racism and profiling, thus hinting that the police officer was racist. I do agree that there was a clear, unarguable case of racial profiling. Gates assumed that the police officer was racist because he was white.