Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NETBOOKS

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    I would not get them a netbook if I bought TODAY......I would go to Dell or HP or Acer and get a base 15 and upgrade the CPU to the cheapest dual core and go for it. That would run about $400 a machine with Windows 7 64 bit. You have to remember the netbooks have no built in optical drive which would blow for the kids.

Wait a week or two and you might see some better deals but not that much better.
    15" is gigantic. Go with a 12". Other than that, I completely agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1
    Who would buy that? Hardware looks like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    I would not get them a netbook if I bought TODAY......I would go to Dell or HP or Acer and get a base 15 and upgrade the CPU to the cheapest dual core and go for it. That would run about $400 a machine with Windows 7 64 bit. You have to remember the netbooks have no built in optical drive which would blow for the kids.

Wait a week or two and you might see some better deals but not that much better.

But the 12" - 14" inch machines tend to bump the price up to much for his budget....and when the kids are slinging juice and such all over the machine cheaper is better. Bretsky you better get them some Sippy cups for computer use.

? HOFer

But the 12" - 14" inch machines tend to bump the price up to much for his budget....and when the kids are slinging juice and such all over the machine cheaper is better. Bretsky you better get them some Sippy cups for computer use.
    That is true, the 15" will likely be cheaper, I wasn't factoring in price.

12" widescreen with 1440-9xx or 1680x1050 pixels is the perfect size but no one makes them. They would make a killing if they did.

My wife won two Asus eeePC's earlier this year. They are OK and handy, just use common sense with your wireless network at home or wireless surfing on the road with it. Since it uses Windows XP there are more than a few security holes with them.

All in all they are pretty decent machines, given there purpose.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

? HOFer
    I cannot believe this many people like them. The keyboards and trackpads are horrendous. That is the biggest complaint. That, and just about every website, including this one, requires horizontal scrolling, which is just a really bad thing from all user experience stand points.

I cannot believe this many people like them. The keyboards and trackpads are horrendous. That is the biggest complaint. That, and just about every website, including this one, requires horizontal scrolling, which is just a really bad thing from all user experience stand points.
    they work well for what they're designed for. My wife has an older (now) eee pc, and we travel with it. Our girls use it for email occasionally, and they do research for school.

I don't really care if the trackpad is difficult to use, and I certainly don't care about scrolling on websites. We aren't on the thing longer than 20 minutes at a time, and we're certainly not working off the thing.

My wife also has a 12.1 in HP, that she absolutely loves. Uses it all the time. Keyboard is too small for me, but it works well for her.

Partial, the things that are important to you don't even concern most of us.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by retailguy
    they work well for what they're designed for. My wife has an older (now) eee pc, and we travel with it. Our girls use it for email occasionally, and they do research for school.

I don't really care if the trackpad is difficult to use, and I certainly don't care about scrolling on websites. We aren't on the thing longer than 20 minutes at a time, and we're certainly not working off the thing.

My wife also has a 12.1 in HP, that she absolutely loves. Uses it all the time. Keyboard is too small for me, but it works well for her.

How can you say, post here for 20 minutes, for example? I cannot.

My fingers are too big so I have to hunt and peck on the keys. I have the dell mini 9 with the fricking quote key next to the right alt (of all the freaking places it could go).

You can barely surf because the track pad is just so awkward and clunky, and then when you can scroll vertically, you need to use the arrow keys to surf left and right.

I don't know, for me, it just doesn't work well enough to justify using it. I bought the mini9 to play around with hackintoshing it and have just not had the time to set it up and sell it yet, but it will be a nice day when it's gone.

12" widescreen is the perfect size for a reasonably powerful comp. The only problem is the only one that makes one anymore is Sony and they're about 2.5k minimum from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy

How can you say, post here for 20 minutes, for example? I cannot.

My fingers are too big so I have to hunt and peck on the keys. I have the dell mini 9 with the fricking quote key next to the right alt (of all the freaking places it could go).

You can barely surf because the track pad is just so awkward and clunky, and then when you can scroll vertically, you need to use the arrow keys to surf left and right.

I don't know, for me, it just doesn't work well enough to justify using it. I bought the mini9 to play around with hackintoshing it and have just not had the time to set it up and sell it yet, but it will be a nice day when it's gone.

12" widescreen is the perfect size for a reasonably powerful comp. The only problem is the only one that makes one anymore is Sony and they're about 2.5k minimum from what I hear.
    Not true. I bought the HP DV-2 in June for her. Kind of behind a bit on technology but plenty for what she needs. You can read about it here.

http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...p+pavilion+dv2

again (netbook) - we don't post here, we email, look for hotel rooms, look for school work, etc. My 11 and 13 year olds don't have large hands either.

? HOFer
    That's actually not a bad notebook. I could get down with the size of that, I guess.

That's actually not a bad notebook. I could get down with the size of that, I guess.
    the best part? Under 650, now under 600, and not a mac.

seriously. she loves the thing. never puts it down.

I've got the 12 inch Dell, obviously full size keyboard, and the trackpad works just fine and i have only encountered one site that requried horizontal scrolling.

ty has 2 friends that have Macs that love their little netbooks...perfect for travel, perfect for resting on their laps while watching tv, etc.

they also just got rid of their iphones and got palm pres..and like the pre more.

? HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Bigguns
    I've got the 12 inch Dell, obviously full size keyboard, and the trackpad works just fine and i have only encountered one site that requried horizontal scrolling.

ty has 2 friends that have Macs that love their little netbooks...perfect for travel, perfect for resting on their laps while watching tv, etc.

they also just got rid of their iphones and got palm pres..and like the pre more.
    The 12" has a higher res, though, I think at least, than the 600 by 1024 that is the 9 and 10" variants.

Good for your friends. I don't know what your point is, I could not care less, it is clear they're in the minority as the iPhone is the hottest phone out right now despite being on the shittiest network.

I'm gonna get a Pre or a Pixi unless some Android phone really knocks my socks off. I really did not like my Centro so I'm skeptical of Palm, but if Android doesn't have multitouch (it's built into the hardware but disabled in the software so they don't get sued by Apple like Palm is), that is a deal breaker for me as multi-touch takes the experience to a new level.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    What like physically? Such a mac nerd. I'd rather have this than a netbook. I'd rather have this than a nds or psp. To boot its all open source.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

The 12" has a higher res, though, I think at least, than the 600 by 1024 that is the 9 and 10" variants.

Good for your friends. I don't know what your point is, I could not care less, it is clear they're in the minority as the iPhone is the hottest phone out right now despite being on the shittiest network.

I'm gonna get a Pre or a Pixi unless some Android phone really knocks my socks off. I really did not like my Centro so I'm skeptical of Palm, but if Android doesn't have multitouch (it's built into the hardware but disabled in the software so they don't get sued by Apple like Palm is), that is a deal breaker for me as multi-touch takes the experience to a new level.
    Don't know anything about the others, just mine..which works great. Netbooking without boundaries.

Pre: Just that there are some folks that like the Pre more. Iphone is on the shittiest network...funny, someone mentioned that long ago. And, with ridiculous plans.

Pixie: No qwerty keyboard. Which is a bummer.

There's a version similar to this selling for $399.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...ire-1810t.aspx

? HOFer
    I personally don't care but as an fyi, it definitely as a qwerty.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/t...oliday-season/

I personally don't care but as an fyi, it definitely as a qwerty.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/t...oliday-season/
    Was thinking of the other phone that is coming out...the android one, maybe by HTC then.

No WiFi though....cheap bastard like yourself should be bummed.

? HOFer
    I can't get behind this Bretsky, but if you do decide to get Netbooks, this is a front page sizzling deal on Slickdeals.net

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1625253

For a notebook for the kids you might consider Craig's List. Get a cheap one that is a couple of years old, and it should do fine, with a bigger screen and better performance than an atom processor.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!