Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colledge put on notice

? HOFer

Re: Colledge put on notice

Quote Originally Posted by Partial
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/70680207.html
    Damn our offensive line is in a shambles right now.

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar

Guard Daryn Colledge of the Green Bay Packers has been put on notice that his starting job would be in jeopardy if he doesn't pick up his play starting Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers at Lambeau Field.

Things like this always make me wonder: why would being put on notice for your starting job be enough motivation to perform better? If it was that small of a thing, wouldn't he already be doing it by now? Surely he knows he's getting owned. In his fourth year (fourth, right?), I would expect that he knows what has to get done. And if he isn't doing that is it because of ability or desire? And if it's because of desire, why would he be content with subpar performances? And if he's content with subpar performances, why is he still starting at all? So many things to wonder...

Colledge has responded pretty well to stuff like this in the past, let's hope he does again.

His play has been disappointing to say the least. A lot of us and a lot of other people thought he was going to step up this year, hell at the beginnin of the year I thought he might turn into our best offensive lineman, shows what I know, but instead he's taken a step back.

I'm not sure if I like the coaching staff singling out Colledge. He hasn't played well but he's hardly the only guy out there who's played poorly. Sitton is the only guy who has been consistently good, the rest have been average at best. Now that Barbre is out it's like they need another whipping boy. Who are they going to turn to if Colledge gets benched? Colledge and Barbre have talent, I think the coaches need to take a look in the mirror.
    GO PACK!!!!

How is it that he was supposed to have graded out as one of the best last year and this year he sucks? Sounds like a coaching issue to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by packrat
    How is it that he was supposed to have graded out as one of the best last year and this year he sucks? Sounds like a coaching issue to me.

Who was or OL coach last year ?

Colledge has been lights out and horrid in spurts. He seems to bonce back when it seems like he's going to get benched
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Honestly, I hope it's a coaching issue. Because if he has the talent to be good on the O-line, I almost think it's easier to solve that by replacing the O-line coach than it is to keep drafting O-lineman and hoping they have that tenacious self-motivating gene.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon
    Honestly, I hope it's a coaching issue. Because if he has the talent to be good on the O-line, I almost think it's easier to solve that by replacing the O-line coach than it is to keep drafting O-lineman and hoping they have that tenacious self-motivating gene.
    I don't think it's a problem with motivation or tenaciousness, He, and the rest of the lone, just seem to have incredible mental breakdowns. Just about every player on the offensive line is playing poorly. Spitz wasn't playing well the first few games, Clifton hasn't played particularly well, we all know Barbre struggled, the tight ends have blocked poorly. Colledge is far from the only one.
    GO PACK!!!!

Things like this always make me wonder: why would being put on notice for your starting job be enough motivation to perform better? If it was that small of a thing, wouldn't he already be doing it by now? Surely he knows he's getting owned. In his fourth year (fourth, right?), I would expect that he knows what has to get done. And if he isn't doing that is it because of ability or desire? And if it's because of desire, why would he be content with subpar performances? And if he's content with subpar performances, why is he still starting at all? So many things to wonder...
    The story angle and headline do not always match the coach's message. An editor or writer might have determined to do a story on Colledge today and together the writer an editor come up with an angle. The headline that follows one further step removed from reality. In this case, notice there is not one quote from McCarthy (or anyone else) that Colledge is one bad performance away from losing his job.

But McGinn does state this in a reported article carrying his byline as a declarative sentence. So he is leaving himself no wiggle room. He must have a source he believes. McGinn's game tape review have consistently given a bad review of DC's performance. So have my eyeballs in half his games.

McCarthy does willingly discuss options of replacing his LG. So the story would seem to be legit. Unless the coach was misled, they are lighting a fire under Colledge publicly. The private messages have likely been worn out already.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Can you explain how the coaches who taught him to perform well at the pro level have now put him into reverse?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Things like this always make me wonder: why would being put on notice for your starting job be enough motivation to perform better? If it was that small of a thing, wouldn't he already be doing it by now?
    I wonder the same thing whenever someone bitches about Mike McCarthy not doing anything to fix our penalty problems. These players aren't stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by PlantPage55
    These players aren't stupid.
    Debatable. The Jake Allen thread would totally dispute that claim. And Jolly's refusal to change the way he played after headbutting an opponent. Those don't exactly inspire Rhodes Scholars...

But I get your point.

This is a case in point as to why it can be in some respects difficult to criticize Thompson too much on the offensive line. As a couple posters noted, last year Colledge played really well in the second half and seemed poised to become the Packers' best offensive lineman. Couple that with Sitton and an improving Spitz, and there was reason to be optimistic. Clifton, too, was supposedly healthier than he'd been in a long time.

At the beginning of the season it appeared that four of the five line spots were solid and Barbre was the question mark. Clifton's slippage and Colledge's msytifying free fall into mediocrity and worse were not predicted in many, if any, places.

If Colledge was good last year, clearly he has talent. I knew Will Whitticker, and he's no Will Whitticker.

The mystery of Colledge is probably the biggest factor in this season's offensive line woes. That, and the consistent push DE's get on whoever is playing offensive tackle for the Pack.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    This is a case in point as to why it can be in some respects difficult to criticize Thompson too much on the offensive line. As a couple posters noted, last year Colledge played really well in the second half and seemed poised to become the Packers' best offensive lineman. Couple that with Sitton and an improving Spitz, and there was reason to be optimistic. Clifton, too, was supposedly healthier than he'd been in a long time.

At the beginning of the season it appeared that four of the five line spots were solid and Barbre was the question mark. Clifton's slippage and Colledge's msytifying free fall into mediocrity and worse were not predicted in many, if any, places.

If Colledge was good last year, clearly he has talent. I knew Will Whitticker, and he's no Will Whitticker.

The mystery of Colledge is probably the biggest factor in this season's offensive line woes. That, and the consistent push DE's get on whoever is playing offensive tackle for the Pack.

So the same coach that coaches DC to all that massive improvement gets ingnored for last year and takes the bullets this year ? I don't buy it.

I'm not making excuses for TT and this OL
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

it's clear that ink has a higher priority than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky
    How do you know it is TT and not the coaches?

Does it matter? The buck stops with the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell

Does it matter? The buck stops with the GM.
    To the extent that it's his job to find the right HC. It's the HC's job to find the right assistant coaches, and if the right assistant coaches aren't found or can't get the job done, either the HC needs to start changing things, or the GM needs to put pressure on the HC.