Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics Thread...aka 2010-2011 FIS thread

I didn't want to watch the video, but this picture pretty much says it all. Who designed this?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    Who designed this?

A Canadian.

They should stick to curling.

why are the beams even there, what are they holding up?

Quote Originally Posted by red
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers
    I read somewhere that the luge track was roughly a mile long and in that mile there was the equivalent of a 48 story drop. Crazy!
    up until this track was built the world speed record for a luge was like 89 mph. sounds like people are doing over 90 on a regular basis at this track, and one guy hit 95 or 95. the guy that died was going just under 89 in that curve

i think at the very least they need to put plexi glass walls (like for a hockey rink) along that last stretch with all the beams
    Pretty sad stuff.
    The tracks are "supposed" to be designed so racers cannot come out even at full speed. Obviously they fucked that up. It is just as obvious that there is inherent danger in any sport where you ride down a track on your back at 90 MPH.

It's hard to even begin to know what to say. How are the rest of the athletes supposed to compete there knowing how dangerous it is. The Georgian is not the only accident there this week.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

road trip

who wants to go to vancouver with me?

my goal is to lay any one of the swedish female athletes. preferably the one hot blond they kept showing......

and her friend

Good to aim high!
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

road trip

who wants to go to vancouver with me?

my goal is to lay any one of the swedish female athletes. preferably the one hot blond they kept showing......

and her friend
    I'll meet you in Seattle and we"ll roll North if that's cool.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar

The Canadian approach of limiting outsiders access is coming to bite them. Input on the facility from outside competitors may have helped point out hazards like this.

I know they wanted to give themselves a homefield advantage to get more medals, but it's beyond childish, and creeps into negligence for the competitors' safety.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

In Women's Hockey, Canada beat Slovakia 18-0. Still a huge gap between the haves and the havenots in women's hockey. Women's moguls was pretty interesting. How they don't all end up with bad knees I don't understand. Maybe they do at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    Women's moguls was pretty interesting. How they don't all end up with bad knees I don't understand. Maybe they do at some point.

That discipline tends to ski on the back of their skis. That puts a lot of tension on your ACL's, and you combine that with smacking the crap out of all of those bumps and you increase the odds of snapping one exponentially.

There's a ski academy here in UT tied to the best prep school in the valley. They routinely have 25% of the top junior skiers in the country enrolled there. We hear the stories about how these kids sit around and compare scars.

they said one of the girls last night was already skiing with a torn acl

thats nuts

they said one of the girls last night was already skiing with a torn acl

thats nuts
    Another they said has had 6 knee surgeries, three on each knee.

i remember my doctor once telling me when i was younger that for some reason i can't remember now, women are much more susceptible to knee injuries while skiing then men are

it has something to be with slightly different muscle structure or different bone structure or too top heavy or something like that

i remember my doctor once telling me when i was younger that for some reason i can't remember now, women are much more susceptible to knee injuries while skiing then men are

it has something to be with slightly different muscle structure or different bone structure or too top heavy or something like that
    Relatively wider hips and shorter leg component lengths, causing more angular strain on the knee joints. (I studied it when my daughter had ACL surgery years ago! )

They actually have a training video out now demonstrating the correct way to fall.

Bode posted a pretty good downhill run - currently good enough for a Bronze. I hope it holds up.

The report from the Olympic officials claims that the death was due to human error, not the design of the structure.

The president of Georgia said, "Since when does an error in a sporting event lead to a death?"

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    The report from the Olympic officials claims that the death was due to human error, not the design of the structure.

The president of Georgia said, "Since when does an error in a sporting event lead to a death?"
    yeah, the olympic folks could not be handling this any worse

its disgraceful to blame the guy right after he dies

yes he messed up and lost control, but that happens in that sport, they needed to plan for the worse and they didn't

like someone said yesterday on tv, if nothing was truly wrong with the track, then why did they rush out and increase the wall height in that sport and cover up those posts?