View Poll Results: Which Sinatra do you like Best?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Early Years (Harry James, Tommy Dorsey)

2 25.00%
  • Later Years (Capitol Recordings)

3 37.50%
  • Latest Years (TV comeback, Woody Herman

1 12.50%
  • Heard of Sinatra, but (God Forbid!) don't like him.

0 0%
  • Who the hell is Frank Sinatra?

0 0%
  • Other?

2 25.00%

Thread: [Harlan Inspired Topic]The Definitive Hipster: Frank Sinatra

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar

[Harlan Inspired Topic]The Definitive Hipster: Frank Sinatra

I like the early Sinatra, those years with Tommy Dorsey. His voice was pure--not as smokey. But then I'm an incurable romantic.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I liked the ratpack mob-crooner Sinatra. His phrasing was always so unique and cool. So what if his voice was a bit pitchy. It was Sinatra pitchy.

I do like Sinatra, but then, I'm incurably old.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by swede
    I liked the ratpack mob-crooner Sinatra. His phrasing was always so unique and cool. So what if his voice was a bit pitchy. It was Sinatra pitchy.

I do like Sinatra, but then, I'm incurably old.
    I actually like the mob-crooner Sinatra as well.

I feel sorry for the youngsters. Sinatra and Gardner. They'll never know.

Swede, you'll enjoy this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fziOhukjpkc
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

I voted for other, as in dead.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket
    I voted for other, as in dead.
    But thanks to the wonders of modern science, his music lives on.

Sinatra isn't the kind of music I listen to, but Swingin' Songs For Lovers had some great stuff on it. Recorded in 1956 with Nelson Riddle, so I guess that's considered Later Years?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    Sinatra isn't the kind of music I listen to, but Swingin' Songs For Lovers had some great stuff on it. Recorded in 1956 with Nelson Riddle, so I guess that's considered Later Years?
    Yup. Those albums with Riddle put Sinatra on top again. Wonderful stuff indeed.

Sinatra's version (a virtual piece of heaven): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1AHec7sfZ8

A sexy newcomer's version (same arrangement): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THsMA1NybSo

I voted for Harry James.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    I voted for Harry James.
    Sinatra, with the James orchestra, singing one of the greatest pop tunes ever written, Stardust (music by Hoagy Carmichael; lyrics by Mitchell Parish): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bI8ANUSLI

Note the youthful naivete in his voice and interpretation. He puts little of his own experience into it. He sings the song as it was written, allowing the emotion of the words and music to flow as the writers intended. In his later years he put himself into the music and lived it, made it his as much as it was the writers'. He was especially fond of Cole Porter's music in his later years because it lent itself to his living it.

Compare the above to this rendition in his later years: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyV3VbPZw2w

I favor the menopausal Frank Sinatra of the late sixties who married 20-year-old Mia Farrow, recorded an album of Rod McKuen poetry, and started wearing Nehru jackets, beads and such.

It didn't last long.

I guess the best Sinatra is from the early 60's, but I like all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby
    I favor the menopausal Frank Sinatra of the late sixties who married 20-year-old Mia Farrow, recorded an album of Rod McKuen poetry, and started wearing Nehru jackets, beads and such.

It didn't last long.

Good point. There were many manifestations of the man and many facets to his personality.

I heard a story about him that went like this: A child visiting his home accidentally disturbed an antique vase, one of a pair, and sent it crashing to the floor where it shattered. Frank walked over and said something to the effect of, "Hey, it's just a vase, kid." And he knocked over the other vase, shattering it as well, to show the kid that, really, it was no big deal.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby

It didn't last long.

Good point. There were many manifestations of the man and many facets to his personality.

I heard a story about him that went like this: A child visiting his home accidentally disturbed an antique vase, one of a pair, and sent it crashing to the floor where it shattered. Frank walked over and said something to the effect of, "Hey, it's just a vase, kid." And he knocked over the other vase, shattering it as well, to show the kid that, really, it was no big deal.
    I just purchased one of those bargain coffee table books on Sinatra from Barnes & Noble. It cost $6. Produced by "Life." It includes a famous article by Gay Talese titled: "Frank Sinatra Has a Cold." (In 2003, the article was judged the best article to ever appear in Equire Magazine.) Anyway, Talese mentions the incident you relate in his article.

Sinatra was one of a kind. He was the kind of NYC Italian who "let it all hang out." His number one value was loyalty. If you liked him and stayed loyal, he'd give you the shirt off his back. If you crossed him, he'd never speak to you again. He fell for Ava Gardner like a love-struck teenager. He'd punch out a rude or vindictive papparazi as if it were as natural as shaking hands.

All of these qualities come through in his music at different stages of his life.

I love watching his movies too. The guy was a hell of an actor.

And then he had him shot.