Thread: Team Age: Packers 18th Youngest

Team Age: Packers 18th Youngest

18th on Offense and 19th on Defense. Ted loves old vets too much. This data is for the 2009 season.

Code:
    25.9    Houston Texans
    26.4    Jacksonville Jaguars
    26.6    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    26.6    St. Louis Rams
    26.6    New York Giants
    26.7    Philadelphia Eagles
    26.8    Miami Dolphins
    26.8    Kansas City Chiefs
    26.9    Chicago Bears
    26.9    San Francisco 49ers
    26.9    Carolina Panthers
    26.9    Detroit Lions
    27.0    Cincinnati Bengals
    27.1    San Diego Chargers
    27.2    Tennessee Titans
    27.2    Oakland Raiders
    27.3    Cleveland Browns
    27.3    Green Bay Packers
    27.3    Atlanta Falcons
    27.4    New Orleans Saints
    27.4    Seattle Seahawks
    27.4    Indianapolis Colts
    27.5    Baltimore Ravens
    27.5    Buffalo Bills
    27.6    New York Jets
    27.7    Dallas Cowboys
    28.0    Pittsburgh Steelers
    28.0    Arizona Cardinals
    28.1    Washington Redskins
    28.2    Denver Broncos
    28.3    Minnesota Vikings
    28.7    New England Patriots
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

May 6, 2010, 4:58 am
    How to Measure Team Age in the N.F.L. and What It Means for 2010
    By CHASE STUART

Chase Stuart writes for the Pro-Football-Reference.com blog.

What is the most useful way to measure the average age of an N.F.L. team? Calculating the average age of a 53-man roster takes you only so far because the age of a team’s starters is much more relevant than the age of a team’s reserves. The average age of a team’s starting lineup isn’t perfect, either. The age of the quarterback and key offensive and defensive players should count for more than the age of a rotational starter. The best way to calculate a team’s functional average age is to place greater weight on the age of a team’s most relevant players. I used Pro-Football-Reference’s Approximate Value system to find the true age of the roster of every team in the league. I calculated team age by weighing each player’s age proportionately to his percentage of contribution (as measured by the Approximate Value system) to his team for each player and team in the 2009 season.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

the vikings are full of grandpas

Witness Protection Rat HOFer
    Nice progression -- the young player are maturing and playing well enough to stay on the roster.

It would be a bad sign if the Packers were still the youngest team.

Cheese & Beer Rat All-Pro MichiganPackerFan's Avatar
    TT needs to stop hitting free agency and resigning his senior citizens and focus more on finding young talent in the draft. What the fuck, Ted????

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy
    the vikings are full of grandpas
    At least one that has been documented.

It's no surprise to me that our youngest team in the league label can be largely attributed to the youth of our developmental backup players.

Blog Entries
    18th

Our Upside for improvement is shot
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Time for TT to start rebuilding.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    This theoretical "functional age" may be relevant, but that's a lot different than "team age" as the thread title indicates. I'm not sure how well the Packers team with their heavy use of special packages on just about every down on both offense and defense fits the theoretical "approximate value system."

I could understand weighing ages based on actual minutes played, but only including "starters" and weighing their actual age by some league-wide value of position played seems a bit dubious to me. The value of the entire 45-man gameday roster has never been higher, and the value of different positions can and do vary widely from team to team.

how did we just go from being the youngest team in the nfl for the last 3 seasons to being one of the oldest?

have i missed a few seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by red
    how did we just go from being the youngest team in the nfl for the last 3 seasons to being one of the oldest?

No, you haven't. This list, in the most simplified form basically weights the ages for starters. And the Packers have been more veteran there than the avg age would indicate since at least 2007.

And vince, yes the thread title does conflate the two, intentionally. I wanted to contrast these numbers with the more simple average age of roster figure and figured that title would at least get people to look.

The list also attempts a basic, retroactive calculation of how important a player is to the team's success (approximate value). So in a basic way, frequent contributors in sub packages (2nd TE, 3rd CB, etc.) are already in there. Here is a link to how they calculate the approximate value:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?page_id=518

Or 15th oldest...

:P

We got Favre BACK!

No, rumplestilskin, you didn't miss anything. The 2013 season starts next month.

Eric Von Zipper Rat All-Pro CaliforniaCheez's Avatar
    When you start weighting the averages and tinkering with actual numbers the data might be more accurate or it might be skewed however the person compiling the data wanted it skewed.

New York paper and look where the Giants and Jets are.