Quote Originally Posted by wootah
Quote Originally Posted by pbmax
Can you identify where you agree and disagree with this?
Of course. I'll try to show the standard set-up of a 4 man defense in zone. I've been studying this thoroughly to teach it to the 13 year olds that I'm coaching, so here we go .

Standard position with the ball on the flank:

--O---------------
-X1---------------
-----X2------X4---
---------X3-------

O is the opponent with the ball. X1 should push him to the middle because that's where the spaces are small (a lot of defenders in little part of the field).
X2 supports X1 and is responsible for possible central attackers.
X3 supports X2 and is responsible for possible central attackers and together with X4 take care of the 'balance' in the defense.

Now if the man with the ball is in the middle, which was in the USA's case:

-----O---------------
-----X2--------------
--X1----X3---X4------

X2 steps out to slow this man down (Onyewu). What should happpen is that X1, X3 & X4 shut the middle down immediately, even if there is space available on the flanks, that's not as bad as space available in the center (where the goal is). One of the basic rules of soccer is to keep the middle crowded. X3 (Demerit) did this somewhat, while closely marking Heskey, who was still able to pass the ball behind X2 in the hole where Gerard appeared.

USA's situation with Heskey being O2 and Gerard O3:

-------O1-------------
--O3--X2-O2---------
X1--------X3---X4----

In my opinion, Bocanegra (X1) failed to close the center down and stayed to much to the left, leaving a hole behind X2's (Onyewu) back where the ball was eventually played in.

Now, this is the standard zone marking in theory. In practice variants can occur, it can be decided in the locker room that Clark (a midfielder) should play man to man to Gerard, in that case of course, he was responsible. Also, zonal defense is based on a lot of communication during the game; you're not following just one opponent so to make life easier on each other, the team should talk when players 'transfer' their opponent to a teammate. I don't know if there was any communication between Clark & Bocanegra on who should take who. This is not easy in the heat of the moment, and probably things happened too fast. In that case, it seems that the standard principle of 'pinching' the middle by X1 & X3 should've occurred which didn't happen. Bocanegra should've followed/closed down Gerard & Clark should've taken Bocanegra's position IMO.

A similar 'mistake' was made yesterday in Holland vs Denmark during the second goal; the centre back (X3) stepped out to slow Sneijder down. X4 failed to close the inside, Sneijder was able to get the ball to Elia who had room in the center to finish. The ball hit the post, but Kuyt followed up and scored.

------------O1-----------
------------X3--O2-------
---X1--X2---------X4-----

01= Sneijder, O2 = Elia.
Awesome....have you read a decent book on the Dutch concept of Total Football? I saw a book titled "Brilliant Orange" but haven't read it.