9 29.03%
  • KIND OF CARE; Will watch if conveninent or if we're doing well

7 22.58%
  • GREAT EVENT and STOKED TO WATCH MUCH OF IT

15 48.39%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: WORLD CUP

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky
    gave it a half hour; I'm done. Fan stuff is cool, althogh from a TV it sounds like a combo of a ton of swarming bees and Vikings Horns blowing constantly

Just too boring
    well, you gave it 31 minutes more than I did. I'm proud of you!

Woah. That inside USA defence looked aweful!

One down after 4 minutes of play is better than one down with 4 minutes of play left.

The US Ream is showing the Island Gorillas too much respect. Play the damned game; hard and fast! C'mon USA!

G O A L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A gift from Mother England!!!!

1-1 with 5 to play in the first half!!!!

GO USA!!!!!

I gotta stop talking to myself.....

after a shaky start the US played pretty solid, bet they're calling for heads in england right about now

good result

I enjoyed the game. But its hard to adjust to 75 minutes of setup and 15 minutes of actual attack. In football, you at least are monitoring down and distance. Baseball you are tracking outs and men on base. Every time the US kicked the ball back out of the England half to regroup I got depressed.

Loved Altidore simply going around his defender when he hit the post in the 2nd half. US does not seem to control the ball in the middle, shorter spaces as well as England. And the English guy Johnson constantly went around the US defense. I also thought the idea to simply put the ball on goal a few times (like hockey) was a good idea given the shakiness of England's goalkeeper.

It was fun. But I am not sure if I could sit through a normal games with countries I was not invested in. Maybe the final.

Island gorillas?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer
    The game didn't seem very close at all from 5 minutes on. US got a couple of good chances but only got one good shot on goal the entire game - and it wasn't even the one that went in. Lucky for that gift, as England was clearly the better team.

Kudos to Tim Howard for not letting it get out of hand.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

It was fun to watch. I'll be watching the rest of our games and maybe some other games.

I thought England played much dirtier. They were constantly kicking our guys in the thigh, stepping on ankles, tripping, etc. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax
    Island gorillas?
    Their DNA is 96% of Homo Sapien's

Vuvuzelas may be banned from tournament.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wor...y-Jordaan.html
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Although I hope you're right, Joe, I'm afraid this won't be the case. The reporters over here switched back to the old microphones which are closer to the mouth to limit the vuvuzela-noise for the viewers at home.

Regarding USA's match: as a neutral spectator I thought the 1st half was entertaining, the second far less. The USA captain (Bocanegra) played very shaky in the first quarter of an hour, had trouble with the quick Lennon and the goal was far more his fault than Onyewu's. Onyewu did what he was supposed to do when you play a 4 man zone defense; step out to the man with the ball. It was Bocanegra failed to close the center behind him. For me, Onyewu was USA's man of the match. Remember; he didn't play for a year due to an injury. I also liked USA's right back; not afraid to take on his man 1 to 1.

In general the tournament has started of slowly; all teams seem to be afraid to lose their 1st match, rather than trying to win. This is somewhat logic. The qualifying and build-up to the tournament has been going on for months now. If you loose your 1st match, there's a very big chance you will be eliminated, so no one wants to risk it. But this will change. If you are new at football/soccer; don't give up yet. The fun is just starting; as of the next set of matches, teams will HAVE to win, a draw is no longer sufficient which will undoubtedly add to the spectacle.

Also some amazing teams have not played yet. If you like attacking soccer, you should definately watch Holland today; they have great attacking players and they play full force for 90 minutes. That and they have the craziest fans in the world.

What I liked until now;
    * Best player I've seen: Messi (ARG), no suprise there. Second place goes to French midfielder Diaby; he was fysically dominating Uruguay.
    * Best goal: Tshabalala (RSA) during the opening match. Second place yesterdays header of Klöse (GER) against Australia.

Btw, Peter King's column about the world cup is the biggest piece of crap I've ever read. It must be nice to go to South Africa with your wife, watch the world's greatest sporting event, write some utter nonsense and get payed for it.

How is that any different than his football columns? :P

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy
    How is that any different than his football columns? :P
    He doesn't have the soccer players' cellphone numbers yet so he cannot use namedropping as much?

i agree the vuvuzela's should go bye-bye. it only takes less then a hundred asshole blowing those things to drowned out the atmosphere of 40,000 to 90,000 other fans

i don't care if it is african tradition. you wouldn't allow someone to blare an air horn for a whole game.

i feel bad for the fans from around the world that have paid tens of thousands of dollars to go to the games and have to sit with that crap

this is by far soccer's biggest stage, their showcase, and there's no doubt that the horns are turning of a good majority of the people tuning in

He can be such a hack as a writer, which is unfortunate as he used to have such tremendous access to information that you couldn't get anywhere else except for Will McDonough.

I read someone predict this would happen after the first goal:

It had a goat -- England's goalkeeper Robert Green, who Bucknered

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0qqBfZeFQ
    He is exactly right of course, except this goal did not turn a championship into a defeat.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'm Scottish so soccer is my first sport and naturally I cheer for anyone playing England and got a kick out of Altidore breezing past Jamie Carragher (he's a total prick). If your new to soccer I'd try giving one of the Dutch or Brazilian games a watch as your first game, they play much more attractive footie than the Uber defensive teams like France and Italy

Quote Originally Posted by wootah
    ... The USA captain (Bocanegra) played very shaky in the first quarter of an hour, had trouble with the quick Lennon and the goal was far more his fault than Onyewu's. Onyewu did what he was supposed to do when you play a 4 man zone defense; step out to the man with the ball. It was Bocanegra failed to close the center behind him.
    This account from SI differs in assigning responsibility for that goal I believe. Can you identify where you agree and disagree with this?
    We hear about players "switching off." Clark apparently forgot to switch on at the opening whistle. He lost track of Gerrard on England's first real surge. DeMerit couldn't contain Emile Heskey's target work as the England frontrunner led Gerrard perfectly. The Liverpool star's two touches were precise and the Three Lions roared.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0qqHjOOjv

Quote Originally Posted by crosbiegrad
    I'm Scottish so soccer is my first sport and naturally I cheer for anyone playing England and got a kick out of Altidore breezing past Jamie Carragher (he's a total prick). If your new to soccer I'd try giving one of the Dutch or Brazilian games a watch as your first game, they play much more attractive footie than the Uber defensive teams like France and Italy
    absolutely, brazil is the team that hooked me once upon a time. it was either the US world cup or the one before. but ever since then i try not to miss one of their games

very fun team to watch

Blog Entries
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?