9 29.03%
  • KIND OF CARE; Will watch if conveninent or if we're doing well

7 22.58%
  • GREAT EVENT and STOKED TO WATCH MUCH OF IT

15 48.39%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: WORLD CUP

FIFA backs Vuvuzelas

"I have always said that Africa has a different rhythm, a different sound," the FIFA president Sepp Blatter said in a Twitter message on Monday. "I don't see banning the music traditions of fans in their own country."
    Blatter went on to ask: "Would you want to see a ban on the fan traditions in your country?"
    FIFA and Blatter have strongly backed the use of vuvuzelas since they were introduced to the wider football world at the Confederations Cup test event in South Africa exactly a year ago.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/a...wing-vuvuzelas
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

A plus two on the side of the World Cup. Boobs: is there anything they can't do?

http://twitpic.com/1wtmer

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

#19 looks like an extra that wandered off the set of "Planet of the Apes Meets Invictus".
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Those breasts will have to be numbed before I can examine them.

Num num num num num num num num num!
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax
    Can you identify where you agree and disagree with this?
    Of course. I'll try to show the standard set-up of a 4 man defense in zone. I've been studying this thoroughly to teach it to the 13 year olds that I'm coaching, so here we go .

Standard position with the ball on the flank:

--O---------------
    -X1---------------
    -----X2------X4---
    ---------X3-------

O is the opponent with the ball. X1 should push him to the middle because that's where the spaces are small (a lot of defenders in little part of the field).
    X2 supports X1 and is responsible for possible central attackers.
    X3 supports X2 and is responsible for possible central attackers and together with X4 take care of the 'balance' in the defense.

Now if the man with the ball is in the middle, which was in the USA's case:

-----O---------------
    -----X2--------------
    --X1----X3---X4------

X2 steps out to slow this man down (Onyewu). What should happpen is that X1, X3 & X4 shut the middle down immediately, even if there is space available on the flanks, that's not as bad as space available in the center (where the goal is). One of the basic rules of soccer is to keep the middle crowded. X3 (Demerit) did this somewhat, while closely marking Heskey, who was still able to pass the ball behind X2 in the hole where Gerard appeared.

USA's situation with Heskey being O2 and Gerard O3:

-------O1-------------
    --O3--X2-O2---------
    X1--------X3---X4----

In my opinion, Bocanegra (X1) failed to close the center down and stayed to much to the left, leaving a hole behind X2's (Onyewu) back where the ball was eventually played in.

Now, this is the standard zone marking in theory. In practice variants can occur, it can be decided in the locker room that Clark (a midfielder) should play man to man to Gerard, in that case of course, he was responsible. Also, zonal defense is based on a lot of communication during the game; you're not following just one opponent so to make life easier on each other, the team should talk when players 'transfer' their opponent to a teammate. I don't know if there was any communication between Clark & Bocanegra on who should take who. This is not easy in the heat of the moment, and probably things happened too fast. In that case, it seems that the standard principle of 'pinching' the middle by X1 & X3 should've occurred which didn't happen. Bocanegra should've followed/closed down Gerard & Clark should've taken Bocanegra's position IMO.

A similar 'mistake' was made yesterday in Holland vs Denmark during the second goal; the centre back (X3) stepped out to slow Sneijder down. X4 failed to close the inside, Sneijder was able to get the ball to Elia who had room in the center to finish. The ball hit the post, but Kuyt followed up and scored.

------------O1-----------
    ------------X3--O2-------
    ---X1--X2---------X4-----

01= Sneijder, O2 = Elia.

This account from SI differs in assigning responsibility for that goal I believe.
    I just read the article you mentioned. I must say that the autor strongly underestimates the job of Jay DeMerit, a Packer fan BTW, who had to play against on of the top 3 players of last season (Rooney). I'm not saying DeMerit is the second coming of Alessandro Nesta, but he played very well last Saturday and certainly deserves a better rating than the '5' he got.

It seems that our QB is a better evaluator than the guys @SI.com: "been a big fan of his ever since I heard he was from GB. He played great v Rooney yesterday. Tell him hello n nice work " (from arod's twitter).

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman
    FIFA backs Vuvuzelas

"I have always said that Africa has a different rhythm, a different sound," the FIFA president Sepp Blatter said in a Twitter message on Monday. "I don't see banning the music traditions of fans in their own country."
    Blatter went on to ask: "Would you want to see a ban on the fan traditions in your country?"
    FIFA and Blatter have strongly backed the use of vuvuzelas since they were introduced to the wider football world at the Confederations Cup test event in South Africa exactly a year ago.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/a...wing-vuvuzelas
    its not a dead issue yet.

the heads of fifa and the world cup will be meeting in the coming days to discuss the issue

theres still a chance to save the world cup

Quote Originally Posted by wootah
    Can you identify where you agree and disagree with this?
    Of course. I'll try to show the standard set-up of a 4 man defense in zone. I've been studying this thoroughly to teach it to the 13 year olds that I'm coaching, so here we go .

Standard position with the ball on the flank:

--O---------------
    -X1---------------
    -----X2------X4---
    ---------X3-------

O is the opponent with the ball. X1 should push him to the middle because that's where the spaces are small (a lot of defenders in little part of the field).
    X2 supports X1 and is responsible for possible central attackers.
    X3 supports X2 and is responsible for possible central attackers and together with X4 take care of the 'balance' in the defense.

Now if the man with the ball is in the middle, which was in the USA's case:

-----O---------------
    -----X2--------------
    --X1----X3---X4------

X2 steps out to slow this man down (Onyewu). What should happpen is that X1, X3 & X4 shut the middle down immediately, even if there is space available on the flanks, that's not as bad as space available in the center (where the goal is). One of the basic rules of soccer is to keep the middle crowded. X3 (Demerit) did this somewhat, while closely marking Heskey, who was still able to pass the ball behind X2 in the hole where Gerard appeared.

USA's situation with Heskey being O2 and Gerard O3:

-------O1-------------
    --O3--X2-O2---------
    X1--------X3---X4----

In my opinion, Bocanegra (X1) failed to close the center down and stayed to much to the left, leaving a hole behind X2's (Onyewu) back where the ball was eventually played in.

Now, this is the standard zone marking in theory. In practice variants can occur, it can be decided in the locker room that Clark (a midfielder) should play man to man to Gerard, in that case of course, he was responsible. Also, zonal defense is based on a lot of communication during the game; you're not following just one opponent so to make life easier on each other, the team should talk when players 'transfer' their opponent to a teammate. I don't know if there was any communication between Clark & Bocanegra on who should take who. This is not easy in the heat of the moment, and probably things happened too fast. In that case, it seems that the standard principle of 'pinching' the middle by X1 & X3 should've occurred which didn't happen. Bocanegra should've followed/closed down Gerard & Clark should've taken Bocanegra's position IMO.

A similar 'mistake' was made yesterday in Holland vs Denmark during the second goal; the centre back (X3) stepped out to slow Sneijder down. X4 failed to close the inside, Sneijder was able to get the ball to Elia who had room in the center to finish. The ball hit the post, but Kuyt followed up and scored.

------------O1-----------
    ------------X3--O2-------
    ---X1--X2---------X4-----

01= Sneijder, O2 = Elia.
    Awesome....have you read a decent book on the Dutch concept of Total Football? I saw a book titled "Brilliant Orange" but haven't read it.
    C.H.U.D.

get ready for a slaughter

Brazil against the #104th ranked team in the world

Anarticle I read with morning suggested North Korea's ultra-conservative style might frustrate Brazil. It's 1-0 63 minutes in.

Was noticing that everyone on the sidelines and in the stands was wearing coats. Turns out it's 34F with a windchill of 24F. Guess I didn't expect that in Africa.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red

USA ?
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky
    Quote Originally Posted by red

USA ?
    no, the commies. the north korean ones

they played a damn good game IMO. they were putting all their men in the box to try and stop brazil's attack

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    Awesome....have you read a decent book on the Dutch concept of Total Football? I saw a book titled "Brilliant Orange" but haven't read it.
    Glad you liked it. I did not read that book. I just looked it up on Amazon and it gets nice reviews, but the content seems to be focused on the general Dutch way of life, rather than soccer tactics itself. Now I already know more than enough of that since I'm from a neighbouring country I prefer the X's & O's.

I only got to see Brasil-N.Korea completely yesterday and judging by the samples from the other games, I did not miss a whole lot. I was a bit disappointed by the Brasilian team I must say. They played extremely slow the first half. On the other hand I was very impressed with how North Korea played: extremely well organised in their 5-3-2 formation and quick in the transformation from defense to attack. It's clear that they lack individual quality (that's what communism's all about, not?), but it was a nice example of playing as 1 unit. Brasil clearly has the exact opposite qualities, but yesterday their tactical plan could not convince me. Very little danger coming from the flanks; Robino, Fabiano & Kaka played too close to one another in the center and nobody tried to use the flanks. When they did in the second halve they scored twice. A-ma-zing goal by Maicon, who has been playing on a high level all season. Next match (against Portugal I believe) will tell us more of their chances, but judging from yesterday, I'm afraid they might lack quality in the attack & midfield to go all the way.

The game also provided THE images of the World Cup so far; during the national anthem, North Korean Jong Tae Se could not stop crying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kusL894tM

The reporter later stated that this was kind of strange, since he is actually born & raised in Japan & lives there as well, so he never experienced the real life in North Korea. He likes Tupac, never leaves home without iPod, Nintendo or fluorescent Nikes and he is the only one of the team who has that kind of luxury. Strange what having your and your teammates families held hostage at gunpoint for motivational purposes can do to a man. Watch & learn, Belichick!

Today Spain plays. I'm not going to lie; up until now, the level of play in general has been very poor: teams are afraid to lose their first match. Hopefully Spain-Switzerland will be a bit different. Spain plays the most dominant football I've ever seen. Thanks to the 'Tiki-Taka' play, supported by their superior technique they keep the ball in their ranks as long as possible, thereby tiring the opponent. Should be a nice match.

Holy Shit!
    C.H.U.D.

Swiss Neutralizes Spaniards

Doesn't that have to be the headline?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

see if you can count all the homo's in the background of this picture of her

there's some guys doing the right thing and gawking and taking pictures, but others aren't even glancing at her

US is down a goal to Slovenia, 26 minutes in. They don't make it easy on themselves, do they?

US is down a goal to Slovenia, 26 minutes in. They don't make it easy on themselves, do they?
    thats what happens when you're not very good

the US doesn't seem to be able to set up any kind of offense

i can't stand donovan, IMO he's one of the most over rated players in the world. he never looks up to pass, he just puts his head down and runs as fast as he can

we're done

0-2

these guys don't know how to play, they're a bunch of bench players and reserves on their regular teams