• IT'S SOCCER.....WHO CARES ???

9 29.03%
  • KIND OF CARE; Will watch if conveninent or if we're doing well

7 22.58%
  • GREAT EVENT and STOKED TO WATCH MUCH OF IT

15 48.39%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: WORLD CUP

Found a blog about tactics that is a pretty good read. He did not cover the 2nd US game that I can find, but two articles do cover the US team.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/...tic/#more-3503

This gentleman explains his theory about the early goal by England. That Oguchi Onyewu has a habit of being pulled out of the defensive line (very close to the explanation provided earlier by wootah). However, he faults Onyewu for this, saying he is too easily drawn from his position (he refers to it as dragged toward the ball), leaving too much open area for his partners to cover. The point of their preview article (link below) is that this was happening in the preliminary rounds as well, pointing to a serious problem in the US defense.

He has a few nice diagrammed photos showing this happening elsewhere in that match, though it did not cost them any goals in those cases. The second diagram shows wootah's point about covering for the middle field teammate, but also reveals the problem of needing your teammate to come into the middle to defend the zone that you just abandoned. It leaves the wide guy completely wide open.

Here they cover the US pre-tournament: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/...-2010-tactics/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax
    Found a blog about tactics that is a pretty good read.
    Very nice site, pb. I agree with the writer on the 2nd & 3rd example of Onyewu stepping up too soon, because in those cases the player with the ball was far away from the US goal and there was no immediate danger to shoot on goal. But in the 1st case, with the goal from England, he had to step up, if not Rooney had a free shot and you cannot let that happen with a player of this calibre.

It's funny that Onyewu is the one who is blamed for playing to high; if I'm not mistaken in the game against Slovenia he was the one who played too deep in his own half, eliminating the offside trap which caused the second goal for Slovenia.

Regarding your remarks on the French team, Red; some of them are already reality. It seems that some of the veterans have decided not to participate in the final match today. A true shame. Like I said before, the French arrived in South Africa under difficult circumstances. They have a crazy coach (who selects player based on their zodiac sign) who was not popular at all and before the WC it became public that after the tournament he would be replaced. That took away the little authority he still had and I believe that's also why Anelka thought he could insult him like that. The French Football Union also has its responsibility in this whole soap.

On a soccer related note, I thought Spain was very impressive yesterday. Fernando Torres, who's coming back from injury, will only grow during this tournament and I think their style of play will help them in the knockout stage when the opponents also try to attack instead of limiting the damage.

Senior Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by wootah
    On a soccer related note, I thought Spain was very impressive yesterday.
    Spain are fun to watch when they're on like they were yesterday.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor
    Spain are fun to watch when they're on like they were yesterday.
    I agree. They play a new variant of the old Dutch "Total Soccer" concept. Just keeping the ball in the team, quick short passes, a lot of movement around the ball. Very fun to watch, but oh so difficult to execute. You need players who are technically superior to their adversaries and a very good conditioning.

It must be hell to play against such a team. You saw that Honduras basically couldn't keep up; in the second half their midfield just could not run anymore.

Senior Rat HOFer
    Chile v Spain is gonna be a good match on Friday.

I feel for the Swiss. They are gonna beat Honduras on Friday, finish group play with 6 points and a win over Spain, and be eliminated from the tournament based on the tiebreakers. That's gotta be a tough pill for them to swallow.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

france has been punched in the mouth and other then cissie, the french seem to be staying down

and now gourcuff has been given a red card

LOL, what a disaster

It's funny that Onyewu is the one who is blamed for playing to high; if I'm not mistaken in the game against Slovenia he was the one who played too deep in his own half, eliminating the offside trap which caused the second goal for Slovenia.
    Overcorrection, maybe?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Nice to see SA get a win vs France.
    C.H.U.D.

Overcorrection, maybe?
    That is possible. I looked at the 1st goal of Slovenia again. Guess what happens. Birsa gets the ball at the same spot as Rooney got the ball in England vs USA. This time Onyewu doesn't step up. Birsa nails it

It is very possible that Onyewu was told to play a little deeper, but Slovenia scored 2 goals because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor
    Chile v Spain is gonna be a good match on Friday.

I feel for the Swiss. They are gonna beat Honduras on Friday, finish group play with 6 points and a win over Spain, and be eliminated from the tournament based on the tiebreakers. That's gotta be a tough pill for them to swallow.
    Especially considering their loss was a 1 goal loss in a game where they had to play the final 60 minutes down a man. Even at that, they had a golden opportunity to score late.

Looks like Latin America could have 7 teams advance. For some reason I find that very cool.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Heading over to my neighbors house at 5am tomorrow to watch the game with some hardcores....I'll start with coffee for sure but might end up with a beer....hopefully I won't be crying in it.
    C.H.U.D.

Overcorrection, maybe?
    That is possible. I looked at the 1st goal of Slovenia again. Guess what happens. Birsa gets the ball at the same spot as Rooney got the ball in England vs USA. This time Onyewu doesn't step up. Birsa nails it

It is very possible that Onyewu was told to play a little deeper, but Slovenia scored 2 goals because of it.
    SI named him as indicative of center defensive lapses in their 5 Things To Watch article. So he seems to be damned up or back. That would lead me to believe its more a matter of recognition and/or communication than simple positioning. Unless he is being let down by his fellow defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    Heading over to my neighbors house at 5am tomorrow to watch the game with some hardcores....I'll start with coffee for sure but might end up with a beer....hopefully I won't be crying in it.
    that whole plan just sounds stupid

first, you should be sleeping right now. then around 10 or 12 you go over to your neighbors house and start drinking

by the time the game starts you should be on cloud 9

Quote Originally Posted by red

first, you should be sleeping right now. then around 10 or 12 you go over to your neighbors house and start drinking

I plan on trying to get some work done after the game......maybe it is a bad plan.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by red

I plan on trying to get some work done after the game......maybe it is a bad plan.
    screw that

world cup = 1 month holiday

if women can get time off for having a kid we should be able to get 1 month off every four years for a sporting event

Blog Entries
    I feel like the grinch when I say this
    but
    I kind of hope USA loses tomorrow so Sportscenter stops spending so much time on this stuff

The NBA Draft is in Two Days
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky
    I feel like the grinch when I say this
    but
    I kind of hope USA loses tomorrow so Sportscenter stops spending so much time on this stuff

The NBA Draft is in Two Days
    i don't think the US being in it or not will matter until the whole thing is over.

espn is the broadcaster for the whole thing, and they have a ton invested in it. they'll beat this horse for as long as they can

Blog Entries
    Just lose Baby
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Bretsky just doesn't understand what the World Cup is all about.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

SI named him as indicative of center defensive lapses in their 5 Things To Watch article. So he seems to be damned up or back. That would lead me to believe its more a matter of recognition and/or communication than simple positioning. Unless he is being let down by his fellow defenders.
    Like I said earlier, I don't think it's Onyewu's fault that Gerard scored. However when he stepped up @ midfield VS England when they played Heskey deep, or he didn't step up near the goal (2 * VS Slovenia), he was responsible according to the zone marking basic rules. I do have a lot of respect for the player Onyewu. Let's not forget that he had a very serious knee injury which made him miss the whole season. To come back from that and immediately play at this level is a remarkable feat by itself.

The Latin American teams are really playing well, each with their own style and qualities, even the 'smaller' ones: Uruguay playing 100% counterfootball with 2 deadly snipers up front in Forlan & Suarez & Chili's attacking prowess. Great tactical stuff.

On the other hand it's unfortunate that possibly all African teams will be eliminated after the first round. I think Yakubu will have some sleepless nights after the opportunity he missed yesterday.