Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Harrell thinks he tore his ACL

Quote Originally Posted by red
    it's official

torn ACL, done for the year
    grant will also miss this weeks game
    Damn! IR it is but will Pack keep him beyond this season? I mean, won't it [now] come down to a question of money? I'd think so.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Trgovac said that he would support the star-crossed Harrell fully in an attempt to come back from a second season on injured reserve. Harrell has had two back surgeries and played in just 14 games since being drafted in the first round in 2007.

"I really mentally want to work hard with this kid," Trgovac said. "He's been through a lot. If he was just taking the money and running that would be one thing. But he's totally the opposite of that. I'm going to stay positive with him. He can be a really good football player."

heres the problem i have with keeping him. you plan to have him, he gets reps that someone else loses, he gets a roster spot over someone else and then he gets hurt right off the bat

he's gonna get hurt, he always gets hurt, if it's not one thing it will be something else. god just didn't build him to be a football player.

he's been slow to heal in the past so chances are he won't be able to participate in the offseason stuff and at the least he would be limited in training camp and preseason. so would almost have to give him a roster spot without working him out.

a clean break would force the team to focus on others

and if i'm JH i retire before he becomes a cripple before he's 30. he should have a nice nest egg if he didn't blow all his money. go enjoy life, maybe get into coaching

he shouldn't feel like he let the team down or took the teams money and ran. TT knew what he was getting when he drafted him and he took a big gamble that didn't turn out. justin gave it his all, no question there. just wasn't ment to be

I was pulling for the guy but enough is enough, time to move on.

heres the problem i have with keeping him. you plan to have him, he gets reps that someone else loses, he gets a roster spot over someone else and then he gets hurt right off the bat

he's gonna get hurt, he always gets hurt, if it's not one thing it will be something else. god just didn't build him to be a football player.

he's been slow to heal in the past so chances are he won't be able to participate in the offseason stuff and at the least he would be limited in training camp and preseason. so would almost have to give him a roster spot without working him out.

and if i'm JH i retire before he becomes a cripple before he's 30. he should have a nice nest egg if he didn't blow all his money. go enjoy life, maybe get into coaching

he shouldn't feel like he let the team down or took the teams money and ran. TT knew what he was getting when he drafted him and he took a big gamble that didn't turn out. justin gave it his all, no question there. just wasn't ment to be
    As long as this part is known, I'm indifferent to whether GB moves on or not. I was getting tired of people (in general) blaming him for not doing everything he could to get on the field. So despite his talent, I'm okay if this is it.

It's my opinion that it wasn't a wasted draft pick. Especially since his injuries are all unrelated. But most especially because Raji and the Claymaker are both hits.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I was thinking about this red, and I kinda agree - but only if TT doesn't bring in anyone else next season that could truly be developed. You don't want the injury risk player to take a spot that a young guy could use to develop. But if next year you're not bringing in an up-and-coming young guy - if you're bringing in 7th round draft picks and FA's - then why not give Harrell a shot?

This makes sense going forward.

For this year he wasn't exactly taking the roster spot of anyone significant. If Jolly was available, it would have been a different story. As it was, keeping him on with the hope that he stayed healthy was about equal with expecting that one of the DL they cut would contribute in any meaningful manner.

What they do regarding Harrell might depend on whether they decide to bring Jolly back. If Jolly is back, might not be room for Harrell. Jolly is a lesser human being, but a better football player.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

There is a misconception out there that Harrell was hurt a lot in college. He really wasn't. In spite of playing only three games as a senior, he played 35 college games. He had a broken ankle as a freshman, but that was about it until the torn biceps.

it will definitely be interesting to see if they give Jolly a look next year..We sure could use his motor on that line..

Quote Originally Posted by Patler
    There is a misconception out there that Harrell was hurt a lot in college. He really wasn't. In spite of playing only three games as a senior, he played 35 college games. He had a broken ankle as a freshman, but that was about it until the torn biceps.
    Harrell's injury woes date all the way to high school, where he battled shin splints and had a bad lower back. At Tennessee, Harrell underwent surgery for shin splints on his right leg in 2003 and missed more than half of spring practice that year. That August, Harrell broke a bone in his right ankle and missed the first five games of the season.

Harrell missed two games in 2004 with a right ankle sprain, and then went injury free in 2005. But in Tennessee's second game of the 2006 season, Harrell suffered a torn biceps injury. He tried to play the following week against Florida, and then opted for season-ending surgery.

Harrell didn't take part in any contact drills during Green Bay's post-draft minicamps and organized team activities last year because of that same biceps injury. Then he missed five games during the 2007 regular season with an ankle injury.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/29421584.html

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz

I was thinking about this red, and I kinda agree - but only if TT doesn't bring in anyone else next season that could truly be developed. You don't want the injury risk player to take a spot that a young guy could use to develop. But if next year you're not bringing in an up-and-coming young guy - if you're bringing in 7th round draft picks and FA's - then why not give Harrell a shot?
    my thinking is that if you let harrell go then it would force TT's hand to find someone else either through the draft or via free agency

unless it's jolly

Doesn't Harrell have another year to go besides this one on his contract? If so, IR him this year and then bring him back next year if the knee heals up. What have we got to lose? In the offseason he isn't really taking up that valuable a roster spot until the end of TC. I heard we signed Wynn today to take Harrell's spot.

Harrell's injury woes date all the way to high school, where he battled shin splints and had a bad lower back. At Tennessee, Harrell underwent surgery for shin splints on his right leg in 2003 and missed more than half of spring practice that year. That August, Harrell broke a bone in his right ankle and missed the first five games of the season.

Harrell missed two games in 2004 with a right ankle sprain, and then went injury free in 2005. But in Tennessee's second game of the 2006 season, Harrell suffered a torn biceps injury. He tried to play the following week against Florida, and then opted for season-ending surgery.

Harrell didn't take part in any contact drills during Green Bay's post-draft minicamps and organized team activities last year because of that same biceps injury. Then he missed five games during the 2007 regular season with an ankle injury.
    Ya? He didn't miss games even with the sprained ankle. Didn't start one but played, so what? Pickett had that too. He recovered enough to be DMVP in his Bowl game that year. That is not a significant injury history.

He played 32 games in three year before his senior year. Sounds like he was pretty much available all the time to me.

Ya? He didn't miss games even with the sprained ankle. Didn't start one but played, so what? Pickett had that too. He recovered enough to be DMVP in his Bowl game that year. That is not a significant injury history.

He played 32 games in three year before his senior year. Sounds like he was pretty much available all the time to me.
    You'd think you could be more humble when you realize that red just Patlerized you.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz

my thinking is that if you let harrell go then it would force TT's hand to find someone else either through the draft or via free agency

unless it's jolly
    You can talk about forcing Thompson's hand but there are always needs at so many positions. For example, al six of TT's picks from this year stuck, and it looks like three could contribute immediately. Yet there has criticism that TT didn't shore up outside linebacker, corner, running back and safety.

I dunno. I think you let Harrell rehab, and draft the way you draft anyway, without much regard for Harrell's health. Some regard, but not as the driving force.

Blog Entries
    I couldn't figure out how Harrell got hurt or what play it happened on. So, I went to the 'ol DVR.

Harrell was playing right guard! On the FG team. Crosby's 49 yarder with a minute gone in the second quarter. Harrell made a normal block, but a whole pile of guys fell on his knee from his left side. There was no coverage of it, as the network went to commercial. They only showed Harrell being assisted to the locker room.

He got a few snaps on defense and accounted himself pretty well. He got Jolly-like pressure on one play and held his own for the few snaps he played. Then, came the kick...

Poor cat has been hurt on FG's, in the weight room, & who knows what else.

He has just had the most star-crossed career you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike

You'd think you could be more humble when you realize that red just Patlerized you.....
    Maybe. But there is a significant difference in the accounts. Patler has him out for, what, a max of 4 games (assuming bowl games 12/yr*3 - 32) and JSO has him out seven. JSO looks like its piling different information into the paragraph to make it carry more weight. They don't mention if he missed High School games and the half of spring practice part is nearly laughable.

Still doesn't make much difference. He is out. And I agree that counting on him for a roster spot is a risk not worth taking. He is almost a camp body at this point.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'm not even sure that red's point was the number of games, but, rather the frequency.

Like Cullen Jenkins, the guy is always banged up except for 2005, it goes back to high school.

I wonder if the guys body just can't take the weight necessary for him to play DE? Not sure.

Cullen is hurt again too. Guy is always banged up. Tough SOB always plays through it if he can, but something isn't right, you know?

So if someone said that Jenkins is always hurt, I wouldn't disagree with them, but I do admire Jenkins for playing through it as much as he had.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike

Right, 32 games in three years, the guy just couldn't get on the field. What was there, a max of 33-36 games?