Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: $600 Shoes

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar

$600 Shoes

My lady wants to spend my money on a $600 pair of shoes. She's had her eye on them for years so at least its not impulse. That's pretty wild but here's what I want your opinion on the next part.

I managed to find knockoffs of the same shoes for $100. I showed them to her and she was completely turned off because "they're not real." She equated buying those shoes to buying cubic zirconia jewelry. I guess I felt like it was more like buying a synthetic diamond... if synthetic diamonds were cheap.

She's a psycho right?
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Re: $600 Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1
    She's a psycho right?
    Redundant.
    After lunch the players lounged about the hotel patio watching the surf fling white plumes high against the darkening sky. Clouds were piling up in the west… Vince Lombardi frowned.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

Re: $600 Shoes

My lady wants to spend my money on a $600 pair of shoes. She's had her eye on them for years so at least its not impulse. That's pretty wild but here's what I want your opinion on the next part.

I managed to find knockoffs of the same shoes for $100. I showed them to her and she was completely turned off because "they're not real." She equated buying those shoes to buying cubic zirconia jewelry. I guess I felt like it was more like buying a synthetic diamond... if synthetic diamonds were cheap.

She's a psycho right?
    Ya think? I bought my first car for less, and it probably got better milage.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    naaaa thats normal. she probably can't understand why you've picked up another packer jersey, or why you spend all that money on the NFL package to watch some dumb football game, or why you would give you left nut for sideline seats at lambeau, or why the hell your trying to throw away your perfectly good tv for some enormous flat screen that has to hang on the wall.

Hehe that's really not me. I'm not a cheap guy per se but the things I enjoy do come cheap. I'm not a big jersey, or anything, collector and watch my football on a humble 32" LCD. But if I wanted that stuff she'd be right behind it, she's arguably a bigger Packer fan than I am. My disposable income goes to her as she'll ultimately get more enjoyment out of it than I would.

I've accepted that she wants $600 shoes. Its the turning down the knockoffs part that I don't understand. These are the shoes:

They are shoes, meaning the knockoffs are inherently identical in looks and performance. How can the label means that much to her?! I need one of our lady-rats to explain this.

Are you married to her? If the answer is no, why is she spending your money? If the answer is yes, why did you marry a woman who wears $600 shoes?

I think the most I've spent on shoes in my life is $67. There is no such thing as the cubic zirconia of shoes unless the knockoffs are pleather. What makes a shoe worth $600 anyway? (keeping in mind that shoes get scuffed, wet, dirty and are meant to protect your feet)

My thoughts. It ain't a girl thing either LW. It's a personality thing. I am coveting a Matthews jersey this year but don't have hope of finding one out here.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Hehe that's really not me. I'm not a cheap guy per se but the things I enjoy do come cheap. I'm not a big jersey, or anything, collector and watch my football on a humble 32" LCD. But if I wanted that stuff she'd be right behind it, she's arguably a bigger Packer fan than I am. My disposable income goes to her as she'll ultimately get more enjoyment out of it than I would.

I've accepted that she wants $600 shoes. Its the turning down the knockoffs part that I don't understand. These are the shoes:

They are shoes, meaning the knockoffs are inherently identical in looks and performance. How can the label means that much to her?! I need one of our lady-rats to explain this.
    Those things will really dig into your shoulder blades.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    Are you married to her? If the answer is no, why is she spending your money? If the answer is yes, why did you marry a woman who wears $600 shoes?

I think the most I've spent on shoes in my life is $67. There is no such thing as the cubic zirconia of shoes unless the knockoffs are pleather. What makes a shoe worth $600 anyway? (keeping in mind that shoes get scuffed, wet, dirty and are meant to protect your feet)

My thoughts. It ain't a girl thing either LW. It's a personality thing. I am coveting a Matthews jersey this year but don't have hope of finding one out here.
    No we're not married. She's not spending my money but she wants to. On shoes. I've known her for ten years and she's not as high maintenance as I'm making her sound. She's going through a thing I imagine many hot chicks go through when they are 27. Pretty crazy notion in its own right since she still fits into her clothes from highschool and imo has never looked better. I told her that she's the same age as Tramon Williams but that didn't seem to cheer her up as much as I thought it would.

Anyways, you agree with me on the shoes. The fakes aren't made with lesser materials but instead are simply priced the way they aren't the originals which were designed by a French guy. If it were me who were enamored with a pair of shoes I'd want the knockoffs so I didn't feel as bad when I put the first scuff in them. Also you also sound like my mother who until age 50 had never paid for anything at retail price. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

I told her that she's the same age as Tramon Williams but that didn't seem to cheer her up as much as I thought it would.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48DRmVVk5N8

Get her a diamond instead.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    or a knock off?

Zig, I'm not saying its an every girl thing i'm saying its normal that different people enjoy different things. for instance, my wife doesn't enjoy sports. she can't understand why i get worked up on game day. However, she is a huge history buff, I don't understand how we can spend 3 days in Williamsburg and thats not enough time or why she crys as we walk thru Gettysburg. similarly, she donates to those type of foundations because its important to her and i donate to the green and gold because its important to me.

one last thing, 31. if she is a bigger fan than you, why isn't she on here? sign her ass up!

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out
    Screw that.....get her 60 bottles of Stinky Gringo tequila, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Whiskey
    one last thing, 31. if she is a bigger fan than you, why isn't she on here? sign her ass up!
    Too late now. I've already called her a psycho.

use the edit button.

use the edit button.
    She loves watching the games and enjoys the food/parties involved but she's not the type to speculate about the team in the offseason, or care about the draft, or know who Sam Shields is. I say she's arguably a bigger fan because she has Packer license plates, owns about 3x more jerseys and will ram someone in traffic just for having a bears bumper sticker.

Unless PR is starting another forum revolving around Packer clothes and instead of a posters game we start a yearly trip to tent sale, she won't have any interest in joining. She pretty much hates all the time I spend on here.

yeah that's freaking nuts. 600 bucks for something she won't wear every day

its not like there is a giant logo on the side that would give away the knockoffs as a knockoff. i comes down to ego i think, knowing she's wearing 600 dollar shoes and telling her friends about them.

although if she's as hot as you say then you might want to let her buy the shoes so she does get pissed and bolt out the door on you

Quote Originally Posted by red
    yeah that's freaking nuts. 600 bucks for something she won't wear every day

its not like there is a giant logo on the side that would give away the knockoffs as a knockoff. i comes down to ego i think, knowing she's wearing 600 dollar shoes and telling her friends about them.

although if she's as hot as you say then you might want to let her buy the shoes so she does get pissed and bolt out the door on you
    She'll get the shoes eventually. She's had her eye on them, and she might actually wear them everyday. She'll probably just buy them herself. She knows that I can't get them for her now, at least not as a surprise because she'd always be skeptical that I bought her the knockoffs. The only way she could know for sure that she got the real ones is to buy them in person in Chicago.

Cheese & Beer Rat All-Pro MichiganPackerFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy
    I am coveting a Matthews jersey this year but don't have hope of finding one out here.
    There is this thing called the internet.... Im looking to pick up a Woodson one for my wife, but since she is also a UofM fan, i was thinking picking a Michigan Woodson one instead.

and yes, $600 for shoes is crazy, unless they are for work use (such as my college roommate's annual purchase of boots to hike to put out forest fires) Thank god my wife was happy with the 40" LCD we bought this weekend to enhance football season!!!

Unless PR is starting another forum revolving around Packer clothes and instead of a posters game we start a yearly trip to tent sale, she won't have any interest in joining. She pretty much hates all the time I spend on here.
    Sort of a Packer version of chick flics...What would we call it? The Pack for chicks? Only problem is, most of the chicks here don't strike me as that kind of chick.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I'd understand if they were thigh high leather boots, but not just a pair of high heels.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!