Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Head Coach Approval Ratings

Blog Entries

Head Coach Approval Ratings

Here are the fan approval ratings of each of the head coaches in the league. These are the current rankings as of this morning, as they are ongoing and vary as the year progresses, often widely early in the year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/sportsnation/ratings

Belichick 90%
    Smith, Mike 80%
    Morris 80%
    Reid 80%
    McCarthy 80%
    Cable 79%
    Payton 75%
    Mangini 72%
    Ryan 68%
    Coughlin 66%
    Garrett 66%
    Caldwell 63%
    Sparano 61%
    Tomlin 61%
    Del Rio 60%
    Fisher 59%
    Gailey 59%
    Carroll 58%
    Smith, Lovie 57%
    Schwartz 51%
    Harbaugh 51%
    Singletary 49%
    McDaniels 41%
    Spagnuolo 41%
    Shanahan 33%
    Kubiak 33%
    Whisenhunt 33%
    Turner 31%
    Haley 30%
    Fox 21%
    Lewis 16%
    Childress 6%

Senior Rat Veteran billy_oliver880's Avatar
    57% for Lovie? Chicago fans are hard to please.

Quote Originally Posted by billy_oliver880 View Post
    57% for Lovie? Chicago fans are hard to please.
    Or have long memories, and remember the train wreck from last year.

I'd say GB fans are a more forgiving bunch. 80% is pretty high for MM. Yes, things are going well now, but I still want to talk about earlier this year! That loss to Chicago in particular was a train wreck. The loss to Washington wasn't too pretty either. Sure the team has played better since then, but those two losses, and the way they happened, worry me.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

It worries me that 80% are pleased with McCarthy but a super bowl winning coach in Coughlin gets only 66%??? New York fans are never pleased with much but what about Packer fans? Too easy to please? I could be wrong.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

80% for mm?? who'd they pole...grade school kids?

If the Packers lose to the Vikes this weekend, MM will go down to 50%. This doesn't mean much to me.

If fans ran franchises, it'd be like...Daniel Snyder running the Redskins.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

mind boggling really. McCarthy ahead of Payton and Whisenhunt? They do hate Lovie down here. I think its his sideline demeanor. He is winning without a very good roster and wins the games he promised to win when he was hired. Against us. In Lambeau no less.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    It worries me that 80% are pleased with McCarthy but a super bowl winning coach in Coughlin gets only 66%??? New York fans are never pleased with much but what about Packer fans? Too easy to please? I could be wrong.
    The thing is, though, that it's just a simple binary Approve/Disapprove. So if you ask Packer fans if they approve more than they disapprove, on balance, of the job McCarthy has done this season. It's generally hard to be too upset with a 6-3 coach.
    </delurk>

Blog Entries
    I do believe that the ratings start anew after the end of each week's games, so yes, the ratings do vary widely week to week.

Regarding McCarthy, I know there are a few boisterous haters here, but I think he has done a very good job developing and leading this young team. Anyone can second-guess playcalling when plays don't work, but the offense is beginning to come around. Even at that, questioning his playcalling speaks to his offensive coordinator capabilities than his head coaching.

In terms of his head coaching responsibities, McCarthy's has solid command of this team. His leadership in guiding this team through the injuries when it would have been easy for them to come up with excuses has been admirable. Hell most of the fans were writing off the season. This young team has been pretty disciplined overall, notwithstanding the Bears game, which has proven to be an anomaly this year.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    What the hell?

MM is doing a great job this season and a strong coach of the year candidate. What games have you all been watching?

He has 11 players (6 starters - 3 key contributers) out for the season. What the hell do expect from a coach? He has definitely developed the talent and adapted his game strategies to match his players abilities. I believe he is our best coach since Lombardi. I never thought Holmgren was as great as many thought, he got severely outcoached in SB#2.

What I do find funny about the list is I saw Shannahan's name around #3 at the start of the season when some rag ranked all the coaches. I thought he was good, but silly to put him so high after he has been inactive for so long. Now he is down to 24th.

Blog Entries

Smile

Chilly's approval ratings are too high I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I always make a point to vote my approval for Brad Childress. I'm hoping Mr. Wilf gives him a lifetime contract.
    </delurk>

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    This kind of talk should be in the GC.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesner View Post
    What the hell?

MM is doing a great job this season and a strong coach of the year candidate. What games have you all been watching?

He has 11 players (6 starters - 3 key contributers) out for the season. What the hell do expect from a coach? He has definitely developed the talent and adapted his game strategies to match his players abilities. I believe he is our best coach since Lombardi. I never thought Holmgren was as great as many thought, he got severely outcoached in SB#2.

What I do find funny about the list is I saw Shannahan's name around #3 at the start of the season when some rag ranked all the coaches. I thought he was good, but silly to put him so high after he has been inactive for so long. Now he is down to 24th.
    Don't you understand, Chees? He was a good coach before the season began, but he's gotten worse at it as the season has gone on.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I, for one, highly approve of the job Chilly is doing!

KYPack

Blog Entries
    10% of the people who voted in poll of top dog r idiots
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    10% of the people who voted in poll of top dog r idiots
    They are still mad about the Browns loss. Or the Giants Superbowl.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    This kind of talk should be in the GC.
    LOL wrong poll. i saw that a bit later and COULDN'T EDIT IT.

Chiefs are 5-4 and Todd Haley gets 30%? Tough crowd considering they were 2-14 2 years ago.

On the other hand, Chan Gailey at 59%. Guess they have low expectations in Buffalo.

Blog Entries
    I think everyone expected the Bills to suck this year, including the most ardent Bills fans. Gailey has the Bills playing pretty well despite their inability to win. They took the Ravens and Chiefs into overtime and had great chances to win each of those games. Then they played the Bears tough before beating the Lions. They are a much tougher win now than they were when the Packers blew them out.

I didn't notice it before posting the poll results, but they are far more reflective of what happened last week than they are of the longer-term. In that sense, the polls kind of suck.