Thread: McCarthy and "Close Games"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Witness Protection Rat HOFer

Smile Old News

This is old stuff that was mentioned much earlier. Only now it is becoming an issue since the Packers may not make the playoffs.

Try no fourth quarter wins this season. MM chokes in crucial situations.

Its Harbaugh time!

The apologists continue. Even without the injuries MM screws up.

Senior Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaloha View Post
    Maybe. We'd have no way to verify that though, would we?

Though there may be solid statistical evidence that proves the opposite is true.

On one of these threads someone did a nice breakdown of our offense since MM took over as HC. There it clearly illustrates how much MM's screw ups have hamstrung this offense both in yards gained and points scored.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor View Post
    Maybe. We'd have no way to verify that though, would we?

Though there may be solid statistical evidence that proves the opposite is true.

On one of these threads someone did a nice breakdown of our offense since MM took over as HC. There it clearly illustrates how much MM's screw ups have hamstrung this offense both in yards gained and points scored.
    Without a doubt, MM offense can put up great stats -- even Sherman wit the U71 also put up great stats. Its the intangibles MM lacks that hurts down the stretch.

MM's loyalty to assistant coaches is also hurting the team.

Senior Rat HOFer
    Without a doubt, MM offense can put up great stats -- even Sherman wit the U71 also put up great stats.
    My point in referencing the stats over the years was to point out an anomaly this season. Our offense has been top 5, top 10 in both points and yards in each of the last 3 seasons. This year they are not. I contend this is very specifically due to the loss of Ryan Grant. Without a legitimate workhorse at RB half the playbook gets thrown out the window. Not only the run game struggles, but play action doesn't work either. Then you lose your threat at TE and become even more constricted in your playcalling. At the same time, opposing defenses have less to plan against, making it that much more difficult to move the ball against them.

My post was, after all, in response to your contention that even without injuries MM will and has always screwed it up. I just wanted to illustrate that he hasn't screwed up as much as you'd like to believe during his time here, and that perhaps injuries at key positions have indeed played a very significant role in our offensive struggles this season.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor View Post
    My point in referencing the stats over the years was to point out an anomaly this season. Our offense has been top 5, top 10 in both points and yards in each of the last 3 seasons. This year they are not. I contend this is very specifically due to the loss of Ryan Grant. Without a legitimate workhorse at RB half the playbook gets thrown out the window. Not only the run game struggles, but play action doesn't work either. Then you lose your threat at TE and become even more constricted in your playcalling. At the same time, opposing defenses have less to plan against, making it that much more difficult to move the ball against them.

My post was, after all, in response to your contention that even without injuries MM will and has always screwed it up. I just wanted to illustrate that he hasn't screwed up as much as you'd like to believe during his time here, and that perhaps injuries at key positions have indeed played a very significant role in our offensive struggles this season.
    True. The defense has also suffered numerous injuries but is still playing at a level which allows the offense to win games. Its MM screw-ups costing games.

True. The defense has also suffered numerous injuries but is still playing at a level which allows the offense to win games. Its MM screw-ups costing games.
    What's your problem with McCarthy? Where did this all come from? (And yes, those are honest questions. I'm curious.)
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Nah, just reality. Harv has it right, especially after all this time to evaluate McCarthy. He is what his record says he is: An above average coach who might never be able to win it all.

And who's sorry now?

This is old stuff that was mentioned much earlier. Only now it is becoming an issue since the Packers may not make the playoffs.

Try no fourth quarter wins this season. MM chokes in crucial situations.

Its Harbaugh time!
    If the Packers hire Jim Harbaugh, I will start to watch soccer instead.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If the Packers hire Jim Harbaugh, I will start to watch soccer instead.
    Do you have the soccer channel yet?

Do you have the soccer channel yet?
    Nope.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.