Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If the Packers went 19-0 and Rodgers never played another game

If the Packers went 19-0 and Rodgers never played another game

Would he go to the HOF based on 19-0, three years of dominance, two superbowl victories, an MVP and at least one SB MVP?

Or is it a must that you put in 10 years of football?

The kind of guy he is (people would want to vote him in. Plus, him not playing would mean there was some sort of bad injury, again people would want to give him a shot)
    19-0 (the memory would stick in voters heads forever)
    Best QB in football for at least one year (dominance)
    High profile coming out of college. High profile following HOF QB. High profile, dominating.

I don't know. . . . . As much as he's only had a few years, he's edging close to doing some things no QB has ever done. He'd be on that edge I think . . . .
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I don't think that 4 years, with 1 year as the best QB in the NFL, would be enough. I don't know if you need 10 years, but you need more than 4.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Would he go to the HOF based on 19-0, three years of dominance, two superbowl victories, an MVP and at least one SB MVP?
    No.

Or is it a must that you put in 10 years of football?
    Yes. He would not even get nominated. He has prolly already earned a place in the Packers HOF, though, just for how he handled the tranistion.

No chance. Too short a time. And Bob Griese won one MVP award in 1971, another in 1977 ( I think there were several this year) though no Super Bowl MVP, and was part of an undefeated season. It took Bob a decade to get in to the HOF.

While Rodgers achievements would look good, the fact that the most direct parallel is Griese, is not going to help.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

He needs a few more years. You don't need the longevity that you need in baseball, but I'd say you need a good 7 year run or so.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Rodgers must confront Brady, only then a HOFer will he be.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Some say Kurt Warner will have a hard time getting in. Some perspective.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead View Post
    If Kurt were a first round pick and college stud there would be no such discussion whatsoever. His road to dominance is being held against him.

Seriously, MVP's, superbowl titles with multiple teams. What does a guy have to do....oh yea, be picked in the first round and not bag groceries.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    If Kurt were a first round pick and college stud there would be no such discussion whatsoever. His road to dominance is being held against him.

Seriously, MVP's, superbowl titles with multiple teams. What does a guy have to do....oh yea, be picked in the first round and not bag groceries.
    Completely disagree. Warner's Rags to riches (twice) story helps him. His problem is that during half of his career, he wasn't even a full time starter. He had 6 very good seasons. Rags to riches stories are great, but Warner may have spent too much time wearing rags to be considered a Hall Of Famer.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshead View Post
    Here's some perspective for you:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Warner won't be a first ballot Hall of Famer, but I think he'll get in eventually.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Completely disagree. Warner's Rags to riches (twice) story helps him. His problem is that during half of his career, he wasn't even a full time starter. He had 6 very good seasons. Rags to riches stories are great, but Warner may have spent too much time wearing rags to be considered a Hall Of Famer.
    He had some down time in the middle. After he was hurt in St-Louis and replaced by Bulger, he was a lame duck QB to Eli in NYG. He got off to a bad start in Arizona, and was replaced by Josh McCown(!) then became a lame duck again, this time going back and forth with Leinart for 2 seasons.

That's why he won't be viewed well. For whatever reasons, injuries, situation, etc he was not a starter for periods of his career. He was replaced 3-4 times (Bulger, Eli, McCown and Leinart all took his starting job from him at one point or another. The voters won't like that.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Remember it is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Really Good for a Couple of Seasons.

How well does Warner compare to Brady, Manning, Marino, Starr, etc. I don't think he belongs with that group at all, so he should not be in the Hall. If Rodgers finish off a perfect season and then retires, he doesn't belong with that group.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Rodgers must confront Brady, only then a HOFer will he be.
    Reverse talk. Yoda, is that you? Is Brady secretly Rodger's father?

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Warner had several great seasons, but not a great career. He didn't do it consistently enough for me to elect him into the hall.

Redneck Rat HOFer Little Whiskey's Avatar
    the real question is, if Tebow never plays another game will he still be elected to the HOF. ESPN would say "YES!"

Modern Era QB's (From http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.aspx):

Troy Aikman 1989-2000
    George Blanda (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975
    Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983
    Len Dawson 1957-1975
    John Elway 1983-1998
    Dan Fouts 1973-1987
    Otto Graham 1946-1955
    Bob Griese 1967-1980
    Sonny Jurgensen 1957-1974
    Jim Kelly 1986-1996
    Bobby Layne 1948-1962
    Dan Marino 1983-1999
    Joe Montana 1979-1994
    Warren Moon 1984-2000
    Joe Namath 1965-1977
    Bart Starr 1956-1971
    Roger Staubach 1969-1979
    Fran Tarkenton 1961-1978
    Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964
    Johnny Unitas 1956-1973
    Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960
    Bob Waterfield 1945-1952
    Steve Young 1985-1999

The commonality above seems to be long-term excellence, but there's no hard criteria for induction that I found in my cursory search.

not a qb but gale sayers only played six years. unless they've changed some rule there must not be a career length standard.

with all his other achievements...i believe the answer to jh's question would be yes.
    Last edited by gbgary; 12-15-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    If Rodgers never played another game after this season I'd be pissed.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Short term dominance and a sb mvp, how is terrel davis these days?

Personally I hope rodgers plays many more years and never attends a probowl!