Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: McCarthy and "Close Games"

Senior Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeLH2006 View Post
    2) He's a bonehead. He must of had at least 10 plays in the last 4 games alone that should have been challenged, but just savors those timeouts. C'mon man.
    Yet we villify him whenever he does challenge a call because his record in challenges is horrendous. Super terrible. With a record that bad, I'd rather he just not challenge anything. That way at least we get get to keep the timeouts.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    That's why he's had such success since leaving the team.
    Sherman the coach was handcuffed by his GM. McCarthy has more overall talent and depth. Belicheck had some input into the Browns personnel decisions, but not total control like he has in New England. He is universally reviled there for demoting Kosar for Testaverde, whom he is given credit (such as it is) for acquiring.

The close games argument deserves scrutiny. But I think we have seen numbers from McCarthy against the good teams (above 500 maybe?) that point to success. I think this got covered last year after struggling versus the good vet QBs.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor View Post
    Yet we villify him whenever he does challenge a call because his record in challenges is horrendous. Super terrible. With a record that bad, I'd rather he just not challenge anything. That way at least we get get to keep the timeouts.
    There have been several occasions when TV has failed to produce a relevant replay until after the next play. Gonzalez and Atlanta for instance. On the road, you are at the mercy of the TV coverage because the scoreboard will show nothing.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Sherman the coach was handcuffed by his GM.
    Yes and no - Wolf's last draft was abysmal, but it was Wolf who made the Ahman Green trade and drafted the O line that Shermy rode to success. Shermy the GM always played to win THIS year. Shoulda worked in 2002, but injuries blew it up. Ultimately the Shermy strategy will lead to the team crashing and burning. But for a Superbowl team to come together, you may just have to make a FA move or two to fill that gap or two that you just can't paper over with raw draft picks. It's that age old riddle that even Oedipus might not answer correctly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    That's why he's had such success since leaving the team.
    Would you not consider what he's done at the college level successful ?
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Waiting for an answer.

I consider MM an average coach now and I'll consider him average then. Certainly not worth firing. OK...I know you weren't waiting for an answer from me but I figured I'd jump in with an inkling to post.

I think MM is an above average playcaller. I'll list my coaching rankings someday when I have time and I think I'll put MM in the 12-18 range.

If I have a criticism of MM overall it's his hiring of coaches and loyalty to them to a fault. I'll think less of him if he finds the ST play acceptable and I can go either way on the OL
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Witness Protection Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeLH2006 View Post
    What does that mean?
    keep waiting. merry christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunakor View Post
    Which is funny, because he has the highest rating of challenge successes in the NFC North. I believe he's at 60% overturned this year.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I consider MM an average coach now and I'll consider him average then. Certainly not worth firing. OK...I know you weren't waiting for an answer from me but I figured I'd jump in with an inkling to post.

I think MM is an above average playcaller. I'll list my coaching rankings someday when I have time and I think I'll put MM in the 12-18 range.

If I have a criticism of MM overall it's his hiring of coaches and loyalty to them to a fault. I'll think less of him if he finds the ST play acceptable and I can go either way on the OL
    I'll agree. Philbin and Slocum suck. And the slow starts on offense the last two years. . . . Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Yes and no - Wolf's last draft was abysmal, but it was Wolf who made the Ahman Green trade and drafted the O line that Shermy rode to success. Shermy the GM always played to win THIS year. Shoulda worked in 2002, but injuries blew it up. Ultimately the Shermy strategy will lead to the team crashing and burning. But for a Superbowl team to come together, you may just have to make a FA move or two to fill that gap or two that you just can't paper over with raw draft picks. It's that age old riddle that even Oedipus might not answer correctly.
    I think that is what gets forgotten during the Sherman era. Each year the team was expected to compete, and expected to be in the playoffs and expected to win. He didn't get there in large part because he could never solidify the left side of the DL. Until he got Barnett, MLB was a problem too.

He's got this rep for not liking rookies or valuing draft picks, but when your focus is to win every year, you take risks and sometimes you win, and sometimes you don't. He didn't.

We have the opposite exact same issue right now. Our OL sucks, it is not solid. If they don't get it fixed asap, it will be their undoing just like the DL was Sherman's undoing.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaloha View Post
    Maybe Sherman was another BB but the Packers screwed up by letting him go too early.
    Always liked Sherman the coach. He was too tolerant of turnovers, both with Green and Favre, but I liked his coaching....as a GM however, well.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    So, since the Patriots cut all the players that they "made the move" for a couple of years ago and have relied on young drafted players this season they can't win the super bowl?

OK, last point. I went through the season looking to see if any "good" teams have problems in close games like the packers do. Problem is that I keep seeing teams like atlanta and the Jets (first two I looked at) who win some close games....and lose others by 14 or even 42 points. I guess we could say they have problems in close games if they would have at least been competitive in games like that, but by getting completely man handled they proved they can win close ones.

EVERYONE on this board (save one or two posters) thought we would lose and lose bad to the patriots. The fact that we were in it to the last play means MM is a bad coach in close games....anyone see a flaw in this logic? And don't even get me started on the fact that the one or two plays that might have changed this game had zero to do with coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I'll agree. Philbin and Slocum suck. And the slow starts on offense the last two years. . . . Not good.
    It's really been 3 of the last 4 years. It's looking more and more like a trend, and yes, it is not good.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    So, since the Patriots cut all the players that they "made the move" for a couple of years ago and have relied on young drafted players this season they can't win the super bowl?
    But for a Superbowl team to come together, you may just have to make a FA move or two to fill that gap or two that you just can't paper over with raw draft picks. It's that age old riddle that even Oedipus might not answer correctly.

OK, last point. I went through the season looking to see if any "good" teams have problems in close games like the packers do. Problem is that I keep seeing teams like atlanta and the Jets (first two I looked at) who win some close games....and lose others by 14 or even 42 points. I guess we could say they have problems in close games if they would have at least been competitive in games like that, but by getting completely man handled they proved they can win close ones.

EVERYONE on this board (save one or two posters) thought we would lose and lose bad to the patriots. The fact that we were in it to the last play means MM is a bad coach in close games....anyone see a flaw in this logic? And don't even get me started on the fact that the one or two plays that might have changed this game had zero to do with coaching.
    I wish this site had a "Like" button...
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I agree with this and feel that a good part of what they need to win close games is on the players. After Rodgers's play at the end of the Atlanta game, I felt like he was there. It seems like a circular thing to say they just need to win some close games to win some more close games but I feel that is the case. It's like w/Minnesota and Favre, once they got that out of the way they seemed to have a bit more confidence. Now they need to do the same in close games.

Being close is fine; but, playoff runs usually involving winning close games at the end. With 5 years of history, overall I do not like what MM has shown in the last half of the 4th quarter.

What you do to stay close isn't necessarily what you need to do at the end to win. If you don't know how to win, all you will ever be is a really good team that never seems to win a championship. In football there are a lot of variables regarding possession, clock management, FG vs TDs, punting strategies, etc. etc. SO far, MM does not show particular skill in knowing how to close out games.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post

You've opened my eyes to wanting to critique Philbin more.

I will say this; I did not like the Philbin hire and I thougt he was a fine OL coach

If we'd have hired another more qualifed OC we might be a heck of a lot better off.........with Philbin still being in charge of the OL as well

I'm not fan of Lovie Smith, but I LOVE what the Bears have done with their assistants lately in hiring very experienced, proven assistant coaches coaches who were once head coaches in Martz, Marinelli, and Tice.

Gotta have a lot of confidence in your own ability to hire guys who might be more knowledeable than the head coach.

Capers was a brilliant hire. I didn't know a whole hell of a lot about him when he was first hired, but when I read through the bio, I felt like we lucked into the best defensive coach on the market one of the best in the game.

We have to make that move on ST's NOW and we have to make the move with an OL guy. We're getting there talent wise (outside of the OL). It's time to just sell out for a superbowl. We're there. Coaches, players, everything. We're close enough to go for it and close enough ot pick our hire. Any coach would want to be here.