Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: McCarthy and "Close Games"

I'd take Kampman in his prime over Allen. Allen was probably a little better as a pass rusher, but Kampman was much better run defender. I think AK74 was a tad underrated and Allen is a tad overrated.

Serious thread drift

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    He is outstanding. So was Kampman. This season I have seen many tackles stonewall Mathews. I never saw that with Kampman. They were different players. Clay is more explosive for sure. Kamp had a variety of moves and would NEVER get stonewalled. Even when a guy controlled him he would collapse the pocket (which was the scheme he played in. 15.5 sacks given that scheme was a monster year.)

As for passes defended and such, again, product of the scheme. Mathews benefits from moving around, surprising teams and keeping them off balance. Kamp lined up across from a tackle and beat him with no surprises. He also never had BJ Raji flushing the QB to him.

Don't get me wrong, when its said and done, I think Mathews will definatly have a better career. But to say Kamp was never anywhere near him after about 12 games as a starter....that is almost as foolish as proclaiming Ryan Grant as superior to Dickerson after 8 games.

PS...still waiting for Clay to get 16 sacks. He was spotted 9 this season. Again, not disputing your last point "the kid is outstanding." Just saying that getting all goofy over a player after a very short run is often wrong, and never smart.
    I'll continue taking this thread off track. I have noticed lately that Capers hasn't been moving Matthews around much at all lately whereas earlier in the year he was rushing from all over the place. Has anybody heard any reasons for this? Lack of practice time for CM3? Not enough trust with the rest of the front 7?
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I'll continue taking this thread off track. I have noticed lately that Capers hasn't been moving Matthews around much at all lately whereas earlier in the year he was rushing from all over the place. Has anybody heard any reasons for this? Lack of practice time for CM3? Not enough trust with the rest of the front 7?
    Didn't he do that some in the Giants game? I saw him on the right side for one snap and got a little excited...for one snap.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I'm thinking that when your other outside linebacker is Brad Jones - no, wait, Frank Zombo - no, wait, Erik Walden - no, wait, Robert Francois - well, you get my point. Kinda hard to move him all over when the guy on the other side is new every week.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I'd take Kampman in his prime over Allen. Allen was probably a little better as a pass rusher, but Kampman was much better run defender. I think AK74 was a tad underrated and Allen is a tad overrated.
    Perhaps, and given that AK played on the left and Allen plays on the right, their coaches might have thought the same thing. But I always thought Kampman was blockable in the run game. He did not get out of position, but he was often retreating to make the hit.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Lack of practice time. Capers said the Giants game was the first in a while where he had enough practice time to absorb playing from a different spot.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Time to put this thread back on track:

MM should be ashamed. He STILL can't win close games. That fool is 0-6 this year in games decided by 4 or less. Doesn't he know that doubling up the #1 seed is the mark of a BAD COACH? He absolutely MUST start letting teams compete with us if he ever wants to be cosidered great.
    Last edited by bobblehead; 01-16-2011 at 07:02 AM.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Senior Rat HOFer
    Agreed. If I have to stomach another 27 point victory in the playoffs I'm gonna have to stop by McCarthy's house with a carton of eggs.
    Chuck Norris doesn't cut his grass, he just stares at it and dares it to grow

Quote Originally Posted by rbaloha View Post
    MM had a good game plan. Execution was exceptional. Still MM is unproven in close games.

Lets hope the Bears game is close -- maybe MM has learned from previous close game mistakes.
    You have no shame dude. You should really just quit posting. After last season you did a nice disappearing act. I would have expected the same after you get proven wrong over and over again with your chicken little act, but apparently you have the memory of Trevor Hoffman.

PS...after the horrendous situation Mike Smith put his team in with 10 seconds to go in the first half, does anyone wish to update their ranking of coaches?

As I said earlier, and in all seriousness. Players win games, not coaches. ARod was sick yesterday, and TWill deserves co-MVP for the game. Clay was disruptive, JJ was almost as good as he thinks he is, and Jennings picked his sack up after the fumble. And oh, don't forget the Jordy love either.

PPS...even though starks was unremarkable running it, anyone notice the fantastic blocking he did on ARod's TD run? Against a lineman no less.
    Last edited by bobblehead; 01-16-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Jim Caldwell, Mike Smith, I warned everyone but no one listened. Even Mike Tomlin tried to give that game away with poor challenge decisions in the first half. Coaching houses of straw I tell you.

They are giving coaches named Mike a bad name.

bobblehead is on a crusade...ban the f@cker. What did you ever predict?
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    I predicted that Alan Babre would beat out College for the LG spot in camp this year. I own that shame. You also owned up to crackin' on MM in the other tread, I respect that. I think that I told you so's is part of a good forum, I can eat my mistakes, but i like to toss around things as well. Mainly I just like to rub it in to the over react to everything crowd.

Many people think that the packers should win every game by 3 scores and if they don't MM and TT suck. People seem to not understand that other guys get paid to. I never mind addressing a good honest tough question, but i just lose patience for "Sarah Palin is a Joke" or "MM can't win a close game" with no evidence other than raw emotion. I can't stand "TT should trade a 3rd for Lynch" when no other GM in the entire NFL would....that makes TT a moron. I hate "MM called a horrible play on the last play...no way Flynn can make that throw" because they think it would be smarter to run into the 9 guys in the box than attack single coverage downfield. Yea, I'm enjoying the win :P

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    And AK74u is my favorite gun on Black Ops

I predicted that Alan Babre would beat out College for the LG spot in camp this year. I own that shame. You also owned up to crackin' on MM in the other tread, I respect that. I think that I told you so's is part of a good forum, I can eat my mistakes, but i like to toss around things as well. Mainly I just like to rub it in to the over react to everything crowd.

Many people think that the packers should win every game by 3 scores and if they don't MM and TT suck. People seem to not understand that other guys get paid to. I never mind addressing a good honest tough question, but i just lose patience for "Sarah Palin is a Joke" or "MM can't win a close game" with no evidence other than raw emotion. I can't stand "TT should trade a 3rd for Lynch" when no other GM in the entire NFL would....that makes TT a moron. I hate "MM called a horrible play on the last play...no way Flynn can make that throw" because they think it would be smarter to run into the 9 guys in the box than attack single coverage downfield. Yea, I'm enjoying the win :P
    Thanx bobble! Good post. I read it and I respect this response. Your [other] remarks made me "online" mad and I in "real" life this never happens.

I look forward to visiting Lameau in '11 or '12 - the world is just greater face-to-face.

Thanx again, bobble.

Blog Entries
    I'd call it a good roll more than a crusade, but whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I'd call it a good roll more than a crusade, but whatever...
    Yeah, Ok!

I can't stand "TT should trade a 3rd for Lynch" when no other GM in the entire NFL would....that makes TT a moron. I hate "MM called a horrible play on the last play...no way Flynn can make that throw" because they think it would be smarter to run into the 9 guys in the box than attack single coverage downfield. Yea, I'm enjoying the win :P

Actually, I saw multiple news commentaries last weekend that New Orleans was willing to give up a 3rd, otherwise I agree largely with your rant.

As to McCarthy? Some of the criticism remains valid if you ask me. He called a phenomenal game yesterday, kept Atlanta off their toes for the entire game. His last 4 have been quite good actually. But those good games, don't make the Miami game, or the Washington game better. They still sucked. (I can give a mulligan for Detroit because of what happened to Rodgers).

I actually find myself agreeing with Justin Harrell that McCarthy has "grown up" in the last few games. (Imagine me agreeing with Harrell? lol) We'll see if it sticks. If it does, we've got a great head coach for years to come, if it doesn't, I suspect I'll still read denial after denial after denial that he "isn't that bad".

PS - I am enjoying the win today also. 'Tis a good day in Packerland...

PSS - I've predicted plenty that turned out not true, and also have no issue admitting it and moving on... But, I've predicted some things that have come to pass also, funny how those things get forgotten...
    Last edited by retailguy; 01-16-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added PSS

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Thanx bobble! Good post. I read it and I respect this response. Your [other] remarks made me "online" mad and I in "real" life this never happens.

I look forward to visiting Lameau in '11 or '12 - the world is just greater face-to-face.

Thanx again, bobble.
    Say "Hi" to Mario for me.