Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: James Jones!

Gamblin' Rat
    Lets not forget about him quitting on the route last week that created the INT at the Pats.

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy View Post
    James Jones = Robert Ferguson...
    Not really. Ferguson was a tease for all of 2 plays a season. James Jones is a tease for 2 or 3 plays a game. He is far more consistent than Ferguson ever was.

The issue with Jones isn't his talent. It isn't his physical tools. The what goes on between his ears. How he gives up plays and magically because of that it ends up in a pic. How he always turns his head up field before the ball is fully in the cradle (leads to a lot of his "bobble catches"). Yet, despite all this, Jones is not a bad #3 option. He can make plays, we've all seen enough of him now to know that, but he can't be relied upon all game, which is why he can't ascend Driver to the #2 spot. THe two catches Driver had in the game epitomize areas that Jones struggles with - effort plays.

The one handed left hand grab on a bad throw? Not sure Jones woulf of tried to extend for that. hte diving catch between defenders? Again, effort play and great concentration. Jones is great at catching the high point over shoulder ball just out of the defenders reach, but he doesn't like to make the effort grabs Driver excels at. That is what holds him back. That, and thinking he doesn't need to go 100% every play.

He is what he is. Not a horrible #3 wr, but not consistent enough to be in the top 2. He is good where he is at. The problem he is doesn't think #3 is good enough. Doubt he comes back when his contract is up if we still have Driver on the roster.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Spoiled much people? JJ won't be in the probowl anytime soon but the guy has serious talent. That said I wouldn't mind benching him against the Bears next week...
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Wharf Rat Starter VermontPackFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker1234 View Post
    Not really. Ferguson was a tease for all of 2 plays a season. James Jones is a tease for 2 or 3 plays a game. He is far more consistent than Ferguson ever was.

The issue with Jones isn't his talent. It isn't his physical tools. The what goes on between his ears. How he gives up plays and magically because of that it ends up in a pic. How he always turns his head up field before the ball is fully in the cradle (leads to a lot of his "bobble catches"). Yet, despite all this, Jones is not a bad #3 option. He can make plays, we've all seen enough of him now to know that, but he can't be relied upon all game, which is why he can't ascend Driver to the #2 spot. THe two catches Driver had in the game epitomize areas that Jones struggles with - effort plays.

The one handed left hand grab on a bad throw? Not sure Jones woulf of tried to extend for that. hte diving catch between defenders? Again, effort play and great concentration. Jones is great at catching the high point over shoulder ball just out of the defenders reach, but he doesn't like to make the effort grabs Driver excels at. That is what holds him back. That, and thinking he doesn't need to go 100% every play.

He is what he is. Not a horrible #3 wr, but not consistent enough to be in the top 2. He is good where he is at. The problem he is doesn't think #3 is good enough. Doubt he comes back when his contract is up if we still have Driver on the roster.
    Yeah, what he said...
    Jones will test the FA market and someone will pony up some big $ for his potential/flashes of brilliance. TT knows better and will not come close to matching it.

The worst part about yesterday's game was the bobbling. Every goddamn ball he did catch bounced off his hands first, then he found the mental will to secure the ball afterward.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    Jones is a tease. Flashes of brilliance sprinkled with liberal doses of stupidity. And he's been around long enough now that it's never going to get corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Spoiled much people? JJ won't be in the probowl anytime soon but the guy has serious talent. That said I wouldn't mind benching him against the Bears next week...
    My take. 2 years ago people on this board were telling us we had the best receiving corps in the NFL. Now, JJ is better than he was then, Jordy is better than he was then, and suddenly we suck because he makes some "poor concentration" plays. He is what he is....a very good talent who is borderline #2, but not quite there yet.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

On a happier note how 'bout Drivers catches? Damn those gave me some warm and fuzzies.
    Lombardi told Starr to "Run it, and let's get the hell out of here!" - 'Ice Bowl' December 31, 1967

Blog Entries
    Fumbles and drops get you beat in close games, but that's the coach's fault, so I guess you keep Jones. If fumbles and drops were the player's fault, then I'd say you draft a replacement and move on from Jones. Trade him if possible.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Fumbles and drops get you beat in close games, but that's the coach's fault, so I guess you keep Jones. If fumbles and drops were the player's fault, then I'd say you draft a replacement and move on from Jones. Trade him if possible.

Well then ya gotta get rid o Jordy too! T.O. and Randy Moss should be available....

I think he's a keeper as your # three guy, but he's not going to take #3 receiver money, I don't think. I think someone else will pony up, and as was said here, TT will not match that.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Jordy gets one more year in my book to prove he can hold onto the ball since he's a year younger and doesn't speak about himself in the third person. You can't get rid of both of them in the same year anyway. That'd be too many rooks at once.

Jordy gets one more year in my book to prove he can hold onto the ball since he's a year younger and doesn't speak about himself in the third person. You can't get rid of both of them in the same year anyway. That'd be too many rooks at once.
    Plus, Jordy's faster than he looks. James Jones wouldn't have outrun that safety.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Witness Protection Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by VermontPackFan View Post
    Yeah, what he said...
    Jones will test the FA market and someone will pony up some big $ for his potential/flashes of brilliance. TT knows better and will not come close to matching it.
    Agree. The inconsistency prevents JJ from becoming a replacement for DD. Someone will offer big dollars and become disappointed.

Agree. JN must also display consistency -- drops too many passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Plus, Jordy's faster than he looks. James Jones wouldn't have outrun that safety.
    Deceptive long strider speed. Fools black dbs all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaloha View Post
    Deceptive long strider speed. Fools black dbs all the time.
    I think you mean all DBs. And you really think they see Jordy skin color and think the guy can't play? It's the damn NFL, not some high school football game. Foolish statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    I think you mean all DBs. And you really think they see Jordy skin color and think the guy can't play? It's the damn NFL, not some high school football game. Foolish statement.
    Yes. Almost all cbs are black. In fact Jason Sehorn said qbs always targeted him because he was white. The NFL has a bias against non-blacks in skilled positions other than qbs. Wake up brother!

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy View Post
    James Jones = Robert Ferguson...
    The best year Ferguson ever had in the NFL was 520 yards. In Jones 4 years in the NFL, he's passed Fergusons best year ever twice and if not for the injury would probably be three times. Ferguson ended up with 2,000 yards total in his career. Jones is past him already. Jones is well on pace to finish somewhere in the top 200 reveivers to ever play the game in regard to total yardage. There is really no comparison.

Robert Ferguson was garbage and James Jones is a playmaker, having a productive career. It's not even close.

Keep in mind its not going to be easy to find someone better. The guy has serious talent and I think we are being a little to hard on him for yesterday. That back shoulder catch was not an easy catch and he made up for it one play later on 3rd and 10. The bomb he should of caught, but if you look at the paly I think the defenders arm/hand blinded him from seeing the ball for a second. He should have caught it still and I am not making excuses for him because it seems he does this a lot now, but the guy is a good receiver. If he started from week one opposite Jennings he would at least a 1,000 yards. Driver played great yesterday, but I remember just as many drops from him as I do JJ. Does any remember the play were the ball went between his legs and almost got picked off against the pats? That was pretty sad.

I would rather have JJ than Driver next season. But JJ shouldn't be paid like a top reciever until he proves it. Thats why I think we don't re-sign him this off-season. Some team will pay him a lot of money though...........
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!