Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: James Jones!

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    The best year Ferguson ever had in the NFL was 520 yards. In Jones 4 years in the NFL, he's passed Fergusons best year ever twice and if not for the injury would probably be three times. Ferguson ended up with 2,000 yards total in his career. Jones is past him already. Jones is well on pace to finish somewhere in the top 200 reveivers to ever play the game in regard to total yardage. There is really no comparison.

Robert Ferguson was garbage and James Jones is a playmaker, having a productive career. It's not even close.
    Justin - for me, football is about more than statistics. i could care less if Jones has better statistics. Ferguson was a "tease" for years, you always thought that greatness was just around the corner. Jones is a tease, greatness is just around the corner... Hence the comparison. Enjoy your statistics.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    I think you mean all DBs. And you really think they see Jordy skin color and think the guy can't play? It's the damn NFL, not some high school football game. Foolish statement.
    No he meant Black DBs. Also DBs that are scared of spiders, like watermelon, love White gurls, drink sizzer, and eat hella fried chicken.

Why the hell does JN get a pass if JJ dont? I aint really impressed with either one of them to take DD's place. If Im TT I tell them "Let's see either of you foolz make the stretched out catch or the one handed one the old man did yesterday and then we can talk about dollars". If any are so bad ass why does #80 get dialed when a clutch catch is needed.

retailguy -

But you are just comparing him to a horrible Wr and saying they are one in the same. Say something to prove that. Ferguson was injury prone and didn't make nearly as much plays as JJ. I will take JH's stats over random comparisons.

JJ has made a lot of plays for this football team. The guy almost has 700 yards in limited playing time.......the dude can play. I don't know why the hell he fumbles against the Bears but those could just be fluke plays. I don't know why people want to rip the guys head off and they don't mentions mistakes by other WRs on this team. This WHOLE team has been inconsistent ALL year, not just JJ.

Driver I'm sure leads the team in drops and thats with him missing 2-3 games. Nelson leads all Wrs and Rbs in fumbles not JJ. People blame JJ for losing the first Bears game for us, but is it any worse than Jennings drop turned INT against the Lions? That would have been the difference in the game.

ALL of the packers WRs are inconsistent if you ask me. If I had to choose between Nelson, Driver and Jones I would take Jones everyday of the week. I do agree he is inconsistent, but I don't understand all the hate against Jones and not everyone else. He has played better than Driver this year if you ask me and at least on par with Nelson. JJ could start for at least half the teams in the NFL.

Jones =/ Ferguson
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Blog Entries
    good post MD. Jones is clearly better than Ferguson ever was, but his history gives him some baggage that tends to make people remember and emphasize his mistakes. I was surprised to see Driver so high on the list of dropped balls. I'd say my perception of Driver, driven by his history of spectacular catches and years of high production, causes people to tend to overlook them while the general perception of Jones causes people to remember his errors more. It seems like Jones' drops and fumbles are more blatant and costly than the other guys' - notwithstanding the big one by Jennings you cited that ultimately cost the team that game (although don't tell that to the Everything is McCarthy's Fault crowd).

Blog Entries
    Jones has shown way more IMO than Ferguson ever did. I think the Fraud stands by himself.

I think Jones may develop into a #2 WR someday and is worthy of a #3. I never thought that much of Fraudie
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by retailguy View Post
    Ferguson was a "tease" for years, you always thought that greatness was just around the corner. Jones is a tease, greatness is just around the corner... Hence the comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaCkFan_n_MD View Post
    retailguy -

But you are just comparing him to a horrible Wr and saying they are one in the same. Say something to prove that. Ferguson was injury prone and didn't make nearly as much plays as JJ. I will take JH's stats over random comparisons.
    md - please re-read what I wrote. That's my comparison and I stand by it. You can make it something it isn't, and I can't control that.

They both are "teases". I think that's all they ever will be, but we'll see. Jones is certainly "ok", but I'm not a fan. If you are, great! We disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    No he meant Black DBs. Also DBs that are scared of spiders, like watermelon, love White gurls, drink sizzer, and eat hella fried chicken.

Why the hell does JN get a pass if JJ dont? I aint really impressed with either one of them to take DD's place. If Im TT I tell them "Let's see either of you foolz make the stretched out catch or the one handed one the old man did yesterday and then we can talk about dollars". If any are so bad ass why does #80 get dialed when a clutch catch is needed.
    I agree the original post by rb was foolish, but I also am not naive. Cris carter once said (regarding seehorn, and i'm paraphrasing). "yes, when i see a white guy lined up across from me i automatically think i can beat him. I hate to say that because it opens up things like saying black guys aren't smart enough to play QB"

That was a stupid statement as well. As I've said before, certainly its naive to think there is no difference between the races (on the edges of the bell curve), but if a guy has made an NFL roster and can play, I think its equally foolish for his opponent to think he is inferior.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Jones has shown way more IMO than Ferguson ever did. I think the Fraud stands by himself.

I think Jones may develop into a #2 WR someday and is worthy of a #3. I never thought that much of Fraudie
    Wow, this is a surprising position, B. I'd never have guessed you'd post such a thing!

Anybody thinking that skin colour doesn't get you labelled one way or another is blind to reality, especially in the NFL. Despite how unfashionable it may be to point it out, it is obvious and it is biologically correct.

Just ask any cro magnum meeting neadertal man, he'll tell you the same thing. Nothing's changed since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam! View Post
    Anybody thinking that skin colour doesn't get you labelled one way or another is blind to reality, especially in the NFL. Despite how unfashionable it may be to point it out, it is obvious and it is biologically correct.

Just ask any cro magnum meeting neadertal man, he'll tell you the same thing. Nothing's changed since then.
    Maybe to fans but I highly doubt "black" DBs see Jordy and think to themselves "this guy is white so I'll just go half ass on this play because hes slow". I guess thats why Wes Welker has been put up such big numbers for the past three seasons.

People do this with players all the time. It took 5 years for people to like Tramon Williams. It took until he became one of the best CB's in the game for people to like him, yet a guy like John Kuhn who's a solid fullback, but much less important ot this team is loved for his effort and averageness. Blah.

James Jones shows flashes of dominance with no more inconsistency than Donald Driver. I think Jones has probowl potential. Make him our #1 target and he's a 1200 yard per season, star WR.

Driver has had a shit season and all people remember is the two good plays he had like he's been Mr. Reliable for us. Jones had a down year with a knee injury and to everyone here, he was just being himself. Jones has a superstar play and everyone things he lucked into it and and was lucky he had a slower safety chasing him because there's no way it was anything but luck that he had an 50 yard TD run after the catch.

Jones is a better player than Jordy because he's better at getting open and better with the ball in his hand and just as reliable catching. It's faulty perception and that's it that makes Jones a bad player.

Wharf Rat Starter VermontPackFan's Avatar
    No one can honestly say that Jones is a bad player, he is far from that. And if given the opportunity (big dollar free agent deal!)to be a no#1 reciever, he may flourish or in my oppinion he will be a disappointment. As I said earlier, TT will not pay him the money he will be offerred in free agency. Why? Inconsistency, questionable work habits, not going all out and finishing plays. He does not fit the mold of the team TT has formed over the past 5 years, he simply is not a Packer person. Right, wrong or indifferent, If I were trying to read predict the future, I just dont see him being in Green Bay next year.

That being said, I like JJ, he is our teammate, he creates matchup problems for opponents and gives our offense a lot of options. Go Pack!

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Jones is a better player than Jordy because he's better at getting open and better with the ball in his hand and just as reliable catching. It's faulty perception and that's it that makes Jones a bad player.
    Jones isn't a bad player, but dude does not have Pro Bowl potential. And he ain't that much better than Nelson. I think both guys benefit greatly from getting favorable matchups--with Jennings, Driver, and Finley (previously) on the team. (Not to mention an All Pro caliber QB.) They almost always get a safety or a team's third best corner on them. They rarely get doubled. Jones flashes big play ability, but he's too inconsistent (and it ain't changing) and he's slow. Nelson isn't very sudden and he's too inconsistent (but not as inconsistent as Jones). Personally, I think they are a horse a piece. Both are good #3 receivers, and I think both would be okay (not great) as #2 receivers. Neither has #1 or Pro Bowl potential. I'm guessing that Jones goes elsewhere, and unless he gets in a favorable situation (e.g. New England or Indianapolis), he'll disappoint his new team.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Maybe to fans but I highly doubt "black" DBs see Jordy and think to themselves "this guy is white so I'll just go half ass on this play because hes slow". I guess thats why Wes Welker has been put up such big numbers for the past three seasons.
    I think you're sticking your head in the sand, mate. Black DBs are homo sapiens, too, and they are just as inclined to form predjudices as Asians, causasians etc etc etc. I'll again point out that this is a biological mechanism. Humans demonstrate primal behaviour frequently, and one such instinct is tribal behaviour. I've spent enough time on psychiast couches to know a lot about primal instincts and how humans tick. Thinking in tribal terms simply is a reaction based on millenia of experience. And by the way, the black DB isn't necessarily consciously saying to himself "this guy is white so I'll just go half ass on this play because he's slow", but there's a heck of a good chance his sub-conscious is saying just that.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    awesome...I HOPE DBS are that stupid to think that a white WR cant burn them all the way to the SB!

For every great catch JJ makes he drops one...
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    For every great catch JJ makes he drops one...
    Well, if "great catch" = TDs, then you're exactly right. Jones has 5 TDs and 5 drops, according to STATS Inc. Driver has 4 TDs and 7 drops. Jones has more receptions, more yards, more YPG, more YPC, more YAC, more first downs, a longer longest reception...

The only thing that Driver has over Jones statistically this year is less fumbles.

Stop mucking up Skin's thread and RG's arguments with facts g.l.@.l. !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam! View Post
    Stop mucking up Skin's thread and RG's arguments with facts g.l.@.l. !!!
    Retail isn't worried about stats-

for me, football is about more than statistics. i could care less if Jones has better statistics.
    And skinbasket is a very creative swearer, so he can deflect this easily with some perverted twist of phrase.

I wouldn't worry about either of them being swayed by something as trivial as overwhelming statistical evidence.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Do the stats tell about JJ running incorrect routes or quitting on routes that lead to INTs?
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

IMO, many people's problem with JJ isn't the pure number of drops, but the head scratching nature of them. Too many of his drops (and fumbles) look like all he needed to do was make any kind of an effort. Is it too much to ask that he extend his arms fully? I might have a heart attack if he ever dove for a ball. Despite his size he consistently looks like he is unwilling to fight for the ball. That includes deciding not to finish his routes because a DB half his size is in his way.