Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How good can Sam Shields become?

How good can Sam Shields become?

There have been a lot of cornerbacks in GB over the past 10 years. After you get past Woodson, Harris, McKenzie and Williams, has any cornerback played as well in GB as Shields is playing now? I don't think so.

Shields is so inexperienced at corner and seems so dedicated to getting better (from what stories have been written) that there could be a lot of improvement yet to come. As he becomes more comfortable with his own play recognition and coverage abilities, I can see him making more attempts at interceptions. His speed and quickness really could make him a top-notch player. Unlike some of the fast CBs, he seems willing to stick his nose in on tackles. Watching the way Woodson plays is sure a good role model for him.

Can he be an All-Pro in the future?

It is a wonderful story-line. It is hard to believe a kid with only one year of college DB under his belt is starting in the NFL, and playing at a high level to boot.

This is why all the talk of Green Bay being on Asomagoo's short list is amusing rather than tantalizing. He would have to come up with a deal that we would take rather than the other way around.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

We got Sam...now we just need Dean on ship! Rock On!!!!!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    There have been a lot of cornerbacks in GB over the past 10 years. After you get past Woodson, Harris, McKenzie and Williams, has any cornerback played as well in GB as Shields is playing now? I don't think so.

Shields is so inexperienced at corner and seems so dedicated to getting better (from what stories have been written) that there could be a lot of improvement yet to come. As he becomes more comfortable with his own play recognition and coverage abilities, I can see him making more attempts at interceptions. His speed and quickness really could make him a top-notch player. Unlike some of the fast CBs, he seems willing to stick his nose in on tackles. Watching the way Woodson plays is sure a good role model for him.

Can he be an All-Pro in the future?

Next year should be really interesting. If you get the 2nd year bump with him the way you do with many players, he could be right there. But like Tramon is finding out with the Probowl voting, it takes a while to establish a reputation.

His play has probably impacted our draft this year, as I was pretty certain that Ted would have had to take a CB given Woodson's age.
    Last edited by Scott Campbell; 01-11-2011 at 01:17 PM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    I think there's a chance he could become as good as Asumnugazuntites.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I think there's a chance he could become as good as Asumnugazuntites.
    I like simlpe Sam better
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    Next year should be really interesting. If you get the 2nd year bump with him the way you do with many players, he could be right there. But like Tramon is finding out with the Probowl voting, it takes a while to establish a reputation.

His play has probably impacted our draft this year, as I was pretty certain that Ted would have had to take a CB given Woodson's age.
    I am looking forward to next year already, and not just for SHields but for the team as a whole with all of the returning players.

I think TT will still look for a CB. You absolutely have to have 3 good ones, and I don't think Woodson has many more years left in him at corner, if any. A good fourth corner to replace Woodson in the top three in a year or two would not be a wasted pick at all. Lee and Underwood won't be missed if they are replaced.

The jury is still out, but the evidence looks good so far.

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    The sky's the limit for Sammy. And what better name for a defensive player than "Shields". Almost could be his own comic book character.
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

If he improves at all, it would be like the couple of years we had with Harris and Woodson, or at least like McKenzie and Tyronne Williams - they had a couple of pretty good years.

Tyronne is another good CB that has been here during the past 10 years. I'm pretty sure he started all 16 games as a rookie.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

It's shocking how well he's playing. With Tramon and Sam shutting down the outsides and Woodson playing inside our defense has level of unpredictability to it like no other.

I think we're the team that could give the Patriots the biggest fits. Woodson is the biggest reason why along with Raji and Matthews, but Shields and T Will make it possible to open Woodson's assignments up inside. VERY VERY unpredictable we are.

Blog Entries
    I just hope he doesn't have any Johnny Jolly in him. He was suspended at Miami for pot if I'm not mistaken.

Doesn't he have speed to burn? Is he the kid that muffed the punts? If he could return punts as well as play nickel that would be sweet! TT needs to fix the returner thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    If he improves at all, it would be like the couple of years we had with Harris and Woodson, or at least like McKenzie and Tyronne Williams - they had a couple of pretty good years.

Tyronne is another good CB that has been here during the past 10 years. I'm pretty sure he started all 16 games as a rookie.
    I thought about Williams, but his last year in GB was 2002, and I think he was somewhat declining the last year or so. He didn't play much after leaving GB. He seemed to lose quickness, then he was done. I think Shields might be better now than Williams was in 2001-2002. But I have no complaints about Williams. He played well.

Wharf Rat Starter VermontPackFan's Avatar
    I think its way too early to tell and start guessing when he might be in the pro bowl. We are all impressed with the fact he has only played the position for a couple of years and came out of nowhere to be our starting 3rd CB in our nickel D. That is really incredible and I hope he continues to get better and better. The sky seems to be the limit for him but alot can happen between now and then.

To be honest, I couldnt tell how good he is playing or not. The announcers love him so they mention his name quite a bit, does that mean he is great? Is Capers protecting him with certain coverages/schemes? He has 3 all pro's playing in the same backfield with him so not only does he have good mentors but I am sure their play covers for him somewhat. I find it hard to believe no one team has really targeted him all game long? Is that because they are afraid of throwing at him or does that mean Capers puts him in a position so O-coordinators arent sure where he will be from series to series?

I will be very interested in seeing how he adapts to the limelight and involves himself in the off season program. How hard he works & studies during this time, how he handles the offseason fame and most importantly, the soon to be large piles of money the Packers will be sending him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VermontPackFan View Post
    I think its way too early to tell and start guessing when he might be in the pro bowl. We are all impressed with the fact he has only played the position for a couple of years and came out of nowhere to be our starting 3rd CB in our nickel D. That is really incredible and I hope he continues to get better and better. The sky seems to be the limit for him but alot can happen between now and then.

To be honest, I couldnt tell how good he is playing or not. The announcers love him so they mention his name quite a bit, does that mean he is great? Is Capers protecting him with certain coverages/schemes? He has 3 all pro's playing in the same backfield with him so not only does he have good mentors but I am sure their play covers for him somewhat. I find it hard to believe no one team has really targeted him all game long? Is that because they are afraid of throwing at him or does that mean Capers puts him in a position so O-coordinators arent sure where he will be from series to series?

I will be very interested in seeing how he adapts to the limelight and involves himself in the off season program. How hard he works & studies during this time, how he handles the offseason fame and most importantly, the soon to be large piles of money the Packers will be sending him.
    Good points in here Vermont, but he's played way above expectations. You can't hide a CB out on the perimeter where he plays. Coordinators (and QB's) can easily find him and isolate him. You can sometimes hide guys a bit in the slot and give them short zones with help over the top, but that's not what Shields does. If he wasn't getting the job done out there, everyone would know it quickly. With Williams on the other side, it's surprising he hasn't been targeted more - not less. That's a testament to the job he's done out there. He's sticking on guys like glue, makes plays on the ball, and can stick his head in there and tackle too. If he keeps his nose clean (literally) down in Miami on breaks, this kid can be the goods IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    We got Sam...now we just need Dean on ship! Rock On!!!!!
    Don't you want Dave to go with Sam?

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Indy Rat Rookie
    I'm completely in agreement with VermontPackFan - there is no way Shields is as good as he is with Bob Sanders as a coach. The defensive staff has done wonders in his development and learning with Tramon and Woodson - don't forget that Al Harris was around earlier this year, too. Learning from all them and being put in the right schemes/positions has made him out to be a potential star - he definitely has ballhawk instincts... seems to always be looking for the ball when the receiver is about to catch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I am looking forward to next year already, and not just for SHields but for the team as a whole with all of the returning players.

I think TT will still look for a CB. You absolutely have to have 3 good ones, and I don't think Woodson has many more years left in him at corner, if any. A good fourth corner to replace Woodson in the top three in a year or two would not be a wasted pick at all. Lee and Underwood won't be missed if they are replaced.
    I agree. Right now they are one injury away from Jarrett Bush being the nickel back. Lee might still be a player if he can stay healthy for once. Hard to tell though. I have no hope for Underwood.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post

He started 0 games as a rookie (1996) but started 15 games in 1997 when Craig Newsome got hurt.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen