Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How good can Sam Shields become?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Throwing Red Flags All Over McCarthy's Lawn
    Tramon is definitely a blueprint.

Snake has ALWAYS been a Tramon fan and wanted him locked up to a 4 year 8 million dollar deal a year and half ago, when several said, no way....that's too much money for an unproven player. LOL. He got his money and is pretty damn good.

Shields has 3 more years of getting paid crap to prove himself, but I said it here and don't know (no one said it isn't true) if ANY GB rookie DB has EVER had as much impact in their rookie year as Shields.

I was a kid loving FL STATE with Terrell Buckley and it was the first draft I cared about in 1992, and he had an OK career overall with the Dolphins, but NO ROOKIE at CB EVER DOMINATES.....but Shields has played as well as ANY CB ROOKIE this side of Cromartie did a few years ago. He's not been picked on and takes on the TOP speed guys on the OTHER team weekly. He hasn't been beaten yet, and plays well....AKA..tackles, makes INTS, etc. He's amazing as a rookie and hope he keeps doing better and really he's only a young 21 with a rookie contract at the min. God TT just fleeces the league with these min. wage undrafted rooks. Unbelievable, but really, Shields has all the talent (speed, athleticism) but after seeing him shutdown dudes with Caper's D....It's only a matter of time till he takes over Wood's CB spot (Wood will move to safety) and keep on this awesome D.
    Snake's Twitter comments would be LEGENDARY.........if I was ugly or gave a shit about Twitter.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeLH2006 View Post
    Tramon is definitely a blueprint.

Snake has ALWAYS been a Tramon fan and wanted him locked up to a 4 year 8 million dollar deal a year and half ago, when several said, no way....that's too much money for an unproven player. LOL. He got his money and is pretty damn good.

Shields has 3 more years of getting paid crap to prove himself, but I said it here and don't know (no one said it isn't true) if ANY GB rookie DB has EVER had as much impact in their rookie year as Shields.

I was a kid loving FL STATE with Terrell Buckley and it was the first draft I cared about in 1992, and he had an OK career overall with the Dolphins, but NO ROOKIE at CB EVER DOMINATES.....but Shields has played as well as ANY CB ROOKIE this side of Cromartie did a few years ago. He's not been picked on and takes on the TOP speed guys on the OTHER team weekly. He hasn't been beaten yet, and plays well....AKA..tackles, makes INTS, etc. He's amazing as a rookie and hope he keeps doing better and really he's only a young 21 with a rookie contract at the min. God TT just fleeces the league with these min. wage undrafted rooks. Unbelievable, but really, Shields has all the talent (speed, athleticism) but after seeing him shutdown dudes with Caper's D....It's only a matter of time till he takes over Wood's CB spot (Wood will move to safety) and keep on this awesome D.
    Devin McCourty says hi.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

... and really he's only a young 21 ...
    Snake;
    You have made this statement several times. I didn't comment about it before because it seemed like a trivial matter. But since you mention it repeatedly, are you trying to make a point about Shields being 21? The reason I ask is because he is not 21, he has already turned 23. Personally, I don't think it matters, but I'm not sure what significance you are attaching to it, if any. The important thing is that he is a rookie, and a more inexperienced one at his position than many are. But he is not "young" relative to other rookies, if that is what you were implying. Not like Jermichael Finley was, who is only 8+ months older than Shields.

..., but I said it here and don't know (no one said it isn't true) if ANY GB rookie DB has EVER had as much impact in their rookie year as Shields.
    "EVER" is a petty long time when talking about the Packers! Just off the top of my head, I would have to mention Willie Buchanon, NFL Rookie of the year in 1972 as a cornerback. It only took a few games for teams to realize that you absolutely could not throw at Willie Buchanon. Tim Lewis is another one who came in and was pretty impressive as a rookie corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    If he improves at all, it would be like the couple of years we had with Harris and Woodson, or at least like McKenzie and Tyronne Williams - they had a couple of pretty good years.

Tyronne is another good CB that has been here during the past 10 years. I'm pretty sure he started all 16 games as a rookie.
    I don't think Tyrone started as a rookie. Craig Newsome and Doug Evans started his rookie year. Tyrone became the starter his second year.

Wharf Rat Starter VermontPackFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I don't think Tyrone started as a rookie. Craig Newsome and Doug Evans started his rookie year. Tyrone became the starter his second year.
    Tyronne "drive by" Williams...

It's shocking how well he's playing. With Tramon and Sam shutting down the outsides and Woodson playing inside our defense has level of unpredictability to it like no other.

I think we're the team that could give the Patriots the biggest fits. Woodson is the biggest reason why along with Raji and Matthews, but Shields and T Will make it possible to open Woodson's assignments up inside. VERY VERY unpredictable we are.

Blog Entries
    I just hope he doesn't have any Johnny Jolly in him. He was suspended at Miami for pot if I'm not mistaken.

Wharf Rat Starter VermontPackFan's Avatar
    I think its way too early to tell and start guessing when he might be in the pro bowl. We are all impressed with the fact he has only played the position for a couple of years and came out of nowhere to be our starting 3rd CB in our nickel D. That is really incredible and I hope he continues to get better and better. The sky seems to be the limit for him but alot can happen between now and then.

To be honest, I couldnt tell how good he is playing or not. The announcers love him so they mention his name quite a bit, does that mean he is great? Is Capers protecting him with certain coverages/schemes? He has 3 all pro's playing in the same backfield with him so not only does he have good mentors but I am sure their play covers for him somewhat. I find it hard to believe no one team has really targeted him all game long? Is that because they are afraid of throwing at him or does that mean Capers puts him in a position so O-coordinators arent sure where he will be from series to series?

I will be very interested in seeing how he adapts to the limelight and involves himself in the off season program. How hard he works & studies during this time, how he handles the offseason fame and most importantly, the soon to be large piles of money the Packers will be sending him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VermontPackFan View Post
    I think its way too early to tell and start guessing when he might be in the pro bowl. We are all impressed with the fact he has only played the position for a couple of years and came out of nowhere to be our starting 3rd CB in our nickel D. That is really incredible and I hope he continues to get better and better. The sky seems to be the limit for him but alot can happen between now and then.

To be honest, I couldnt tell how good he is playing or not. The announcers love him so they mention his name quite a bit, does that mean he is great? Is Capers protecting him with certain coverages/schemes? He has 3 all pro's playing in the same backfield with him so not only does he have good mentors but I am sure their play covers for him somewhat. I find it hard to believe no one team has really targeted him all game long? Is that because they are afraid of throwing at him or does that mean Capers puts him in a position so O-coordinators arent sure where he will be from series to series?

I will be very interested in seeing how he adapts to the limelight and involves himself in the off season program. How hard he works & studies during this time, how he handles the offseason fame and most importantly, the soon to be large piles of money the Packers will be sending him.
    Good points in here Vermont, but he's played way above expectations. You can't hide a CB out on the perimeter where he plays. Coordinators (and QB's) can easily find him and isolate him. You can sometimes hide guys a bit in the slot and give them short zones with help over the top, but that's not what Shields does. If he wasn't getting the job done out there, everyone would know it quickly. With Williams on the other side, it's surprising he hasn't been targeted more - not less. That's a testament to the job he's done out there. He's sticking on guys like glue, makes plays on the ball, and can stick his head in there and tackle too. If he keeps his nose clean (literally) down in Miami on breaks, this kid can be the goods IMO.

Doesn't he have speed to burn? Is he the kid that muffed the punts? If he could return punts as well as play nickel that would be sweet! TT needs to fix the returner thing.

Indy Rat Rookie
    I'm completely in agreement with VermontPackFan - there is no way Shields is as good as he is with Bob Sanders as a coach. The defensive staff has done wonders in his development and learning with Tramon and Woodson - don't forget that Al Harris was around earlier this year, too. Learning from all them and being put in the right schemes/positions has made him out to be a potential star - he definitely has ballhawk instincts... seems to always be looking for the ball when the receiver is about to catch it.

Shields is a natural talent... feel a lot better about the defense as a whole knowing that we're fielding 3 solid corners. Shields is real find.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Shields is a natural talent... feel a lot better about the defense as a whole knowing that we're fielding 3 solid corners. Shields is real find.
    I agree. He has made quite an impact for an undrafted rookie. It's nice to see a player that looks like he can replace a starter if needed. I never had the same feeling about any other young CB in the last 8-10 years, other than Tramon Williams.

The one thing that is a bit of a concern if Williams and Shields are the starters in the future, the Packers will be a bit small at cornerback. Neither one is very big.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I agree. He has made quite an impact for an undrafted rookie. It's nice to see a player that looks like he can replace a starter if needed. I never had the same feeling about any other young CB in the last 8-10 years, other than Tramon Williams.

The one thing that is a bit of a concern if Williams and Shields are the starters in the future, the Packers will be a bit small at cornerback. Neither one is very big.

Tramon still won that jump ball yesterday.

I called up Ted Thompson and suggested he sign Shields.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I called up Ted Thompson and suggested he sign Shields.

I called Miami and suggested they move Shields to CB.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell View Post
    I called Miami and suggested they move Shields to CB.
    I knocked up Sheilds mom when I was in college....I WIN!!!!
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I knocked up Sheilds mom when I was in college....I WIN!!!!
    So you paid child support. When Shields get extended - Cha-Ching! for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    So you paid child support. When Shields get extended - Cha-Ching! for you.
    Nah, i ducked out...deadbeat dad...now I get nothing
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.