Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Some Super Thoughts

Some Super Thoughts

In the last decade (since and including the '00 season), Green Bay is the only team in the top 7 of overall record to not appear in a Super Bowl. And all except Philadelphia and Baltimore had multiple appearances.

Only six teams have over 100 wins in those eleven seasons (New England, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Philly, Green Bay, and Baltimore) with the Giants being the only team to be in two Super Bowls with less than 100 wins in that span.

Some teams in that time that at least made an appearance (with their record ranking since '00):

Arizona - 30th (lost)
    Oakland - 27th (lost)
    St Louis - 23rd (lost)
    Carolina - 21st (lost)
    Tampa Bay - 15th (lost)
    Seattle - 15th (won)
    Chicago - 12th (lost)
    New Orleans - 10th (won)

I would argue that over the last decade, the NFL franchises can be grouped into three tiers:

1) The steady teams who year in and year out not only win a lot of games each year, but also have a chance to make it to the Super Bowl and do (New England, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh) due to talent, coaching, and/or ownership structure.

2) The teams on the brink who seem to have that chance, winning a lot of games every year, but haven't quite arrived on the same plateau (Philly, Baltimore).

3) The ones who simply hope that lighting strikes and they make it to the Super Bowl despite having less than a consistant winning tradition.

(I think the Giants and the Packers are tweaner teams for different reasons. The Giants because they've appeared twice but don't win as consistently, and the Packers because they win consistenly but haven't appeared.)

What does all this mean? Practically nothing. Except to note that the Packers are one of the few teams that has proven capable of maintaining a winning tradition, and yet that hasn't translated to a Super Bowl appearance the way one would expect.

IT'S TIME TO TAKE THAT NEXT STEP!

Some interesting things I learned while writing this up:

* Green Bay's record since the '93 season (the start of modern Free Agency) is the third best behind New England and Pittsburgh. Pitt has one more Super Bowl victory, and NE has two more victories and one more loss.

* Since the '93 season, the only team with one of the top 12 records to not appear in a Super Bowl is the Minnesota Vikings.

* The top 5 teams all have multiple Super Bowl appearances.
    Last edited by Smidgeon; 01-10-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

we should be the team to beat in the NFC

the eagles game was close because we let it be close, if our offense and defense continue to do their thing and ST just doesn't screw up, then i don't know how anyone can beat us

IMO we would have to lose, not get beat

In other words, if the Packers don't win it all, it's McCarthy's fault.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    or slocum or james jones or jarrett bush

Seattle certainly didn't win their SB!

St-Louis was also there twice - won once (2000)
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Seattle certainly didn't win their SB!

St-Louis was also there twice - won once (2000)
    Baltimore won at the end of the 2000 year and St Louis at the end of 1999 (http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/history).
    Last edited by Smidgeon; 01-10-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Actually, I'm tending to think two things. First, Favre's playoff interceptions. Second, it's due.

Blog Entries
    The defense is world class. The offense still feels the pain of losing Finley - and Grant up until Philly.

I think the injuries - three in particular - will cost this team. I'm thinking Grant, Finley - and Mike Neal. Yes, Mike Neal. I think his loss was big. He seemed to me to be a difference maker (a potential difference maker, at least) who could have helped this team get penetration without blitzing as much and could have taken some load off some of the guys on the line.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

if they make it to the superbowl and have the lead and he gets his intestines all twisted up again and they lose...yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I think the injuries - three in particular - will cost this team. I'm thinking Grant, Finley - and Mike Neal. Yes, Mike Neal. I think his loss was big. He seemed to me to be a difference maker (a potential difference maker, at least) who could have helped this team get penetration without blitzing as much and could have taken some load off some of the guys on the line.
    We are going to win the super bowl; injuries are mute!
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

moot?
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    We are going to win the super bowl; injuries are mute!
    Actually, they usually come with a certain amount of pained hollering. Not quiet at all unless the guy gets knocked out.
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

So knocked out is the mute point...
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    moot?
    Mittens?

Speaking of mute injuries, did DeSean Jackson have the same injury as Paul Pierce last year? Terrible, debilitating, requiring surgery, until it was time to go back in? Did anyone catch any coverage of his actual ailment?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by MJZiggy View Post
    Actually, they usually come with a certain amount of pained hollering. Not quiet at all unless the guy gets knocked out.
    True!

Moot has become a lame word. in LOTR there's a thing called "Entmoot" - a meeting of Ents; somehow the old english word "moot" got torn asunder by cowboys with a mouthful of beans.
    Last edited by mmmdk; 01-10-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    ...somehow the old english word "moot" got torn asunder by cowboys with a mouthful of beans.
    I've read a lot of Zane Gray and Louis L'Amour. I think the tearing asunder of English archaisms by the cowpokes is meant to evoke the tension of independent actors living within a feudal system.
    Last edited by swede; 01-10-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    I've read a lot of Zane Gray and Louis L'Amour. I think the tearing asunder of English archaisms by the cowpokes is meant to evoke the tension of independent actors within a feudal system.
    Damn straight!