Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: OH NOOO...SAY IT AIN'T SO....HOW WOULD YOU REACT ???????

Well, it would be somewhere in the middle. On the positive side, I would see this as a season where the Packers showed a lot of resiliency and saw the emergence of some young players (Shields, Williams, Starks, Bishop). A lot of young guys would have gained some valuable playoff experience. This team would certainly be positioned to be a major Super Bowl contender for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, it would be a lost opportunity, as for the 2nd time in 4 years, The Packers would have lost in an NFC Title Game. Great older players like Driver, Woodson and Clifton would be edging ever closer to retirement. Worst of all, the Bears would be in the Super Bowl.

I would be seriously bummed out but still optimistic about the future.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I really hope the Bears don't make it to the Superbowl. I honestly believe they would be the luckiest team to ever make it to the Superbowl. The difference might be them getting a free win week one against the Lions which resulted in a first round bye. Then they draw the worst playoff team ever. They basically start the playoffs in the NFC championship game. And then when they get there are playing us, the one team that they don't even have to be good to beat basically because its us. They get all the luck........dropped INTs we they need it, fumbles when they need it, everything goes right for them.

Now look at our season. All of our losses have been close heart breaking losses. I believe we are the better team, but we have completely not luck this season. We get Vick and Eagles on the road, then Matty ice on the road, and then the luckiest team who seem to do no wrong of late on the road with the ref who cheated us out of a victory against this very team. Does it get any worse then that??? We always have the shit luck............The only way this season turns around and is successful is this team WINS the Superbowl. One step at a time though and we have a really hard step this weekend.

I really hope we finally get lucky brakes and win......Hoping for fumbles, easy INTs,, and maybe even a sp. teams score. I hope for a really good all around game!
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

First, the Bears are good and could win. They have the leagues best special teams and a top tier defense. On top of that, they have a solid running game and a decent overall offense. And to top it off, if they need a 2 minute drive, they have an extremely talented QB who could have one amazing drive. He's done it before.

So there is a very real possibility that we lose to one of the best teams in the NFL. If it happens, well, we're probably going fly off the F'in hook. Someone will have made a mistake, be it MM, JJ or anyone else. There is no way we sit here and talk about how wonderful the season was. Some Bear player is going to cheap shot one of our guys. Some ref is going to make a bogus call. If we lose, it's not going to be pretty. And I don't much care if it's overreaction. This place is starting to suck because people are afraid to go out on limbs and express themselves. Screw that. I'll start by being the biggest idiot in the room and if time proves me wrong, oh well. Sports is about being in the moment and that's what i'm going to do for good or for bad.
    Last edited by RashanGary; 01-20-2011 at 05:03 PM.

I am with the Mailman. It would stink that for the second time, with a wide open field, the Packers failed to capitalize on a chance to go to the Super Bowl.

But even more than 2007, McCarthy, despite his flaws and penchant for long FGs, demonstrated that he can command a locker room and keep his team focused during a season of significant turmoil. That is further confirmation that he is the correct coach.

But a group only gets so many shots, so a loss would also have me calculating how many more legit years are left and then counting down. I don't want to do that. First of all, many of the better players are very young, but losing a few vets could change the dynamic. I am not sure that would happen, and think this year might demonstrate that the Packers Org has the wherewithal to carry on and replace the pieces like the Steelers.

But I would prefer to take advantage of the opportunity that presents itself.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The Packers won't lose.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    The Packers won't lose.
    I'm not sure which is more a jinx: "how would you feel if they lose" or "there's no way they can lose". Either way, this thread is bad mojo.
    </delurk>

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    83 starter games lost, 2nd most in the leage, according to FO.

Notice that the Bears are tied for least starter games lost, with 11.
    I saw the same article and think the article is wrong. They only count 5 starters lost, leaving out Brad Jones. Everywhere else I have seen the number quoted at 91 I believe.

And yes, this thread is BAD mojo.
    Go PACK

Rodgers talked about before games he sees himself making throws and then goes out and does it. Lets think positive the whole game and God willing we will win!
    Draft Brandin Cooks WR OSU!

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker64 View Post
    I'm not sure which is more a jinx: "how would you feel if they lose" or "there's no way they can lose". Either way, this thread is bad mojo.
    Not saying there is no way they can lose, just saying they won't.

Besides, Bretsky starting a "what if they lose?" thread can't be that bad.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    First, the Bears are good and could win. They have the leagues best special teams and a top tier defense. On top of that, they have a solid running game and a decent overall offense. And to top it off, if they need a 2 minute drive, they have an extremely talented QB who could have one amazing drive. He's done it before.

So there is a very real possibility that we lose to one of the best teams in the NFL. If it happens, well, we're probably going fly off the F'in hook. Someone will have made a mistake, be it MM, JJ or anyone else. There is no way we sit here and talk about how wonderful the season was. Some Bear player is going to cheap shot one of our guys. Some ref is going to make a bogus call. If we lose, it's not going to be pretty. And I don't much care if it's overreaction. This place is starting to suck because people are afraid to go out on limbs and express themselves. Screw that. I'll start by being the biggest idiot in the room and if time proves me wrong, oh well. Sports is about being in the moment and that's what i'm going to do for good or for bad.
    Dont be a dumbass. There is greatness to be missed in losing this game, I agree. That's only because of what it is. PACKERS vs BEAR for a chance at the SB. One of the NFL's elite dream matchups. Goodell probably piss himself with joy at the thought of the ratings. The impressive victories over PHI and ATL have removed any stress I had about this season. It has been a great run and if is meant to end at Chicago Sunday I can say that they got further than expected. I just wanted to see a playoff win. I got to see two. I will be greatly disappointed but I wont be mad. No reason for us to riot.

As long as JJ doesnt fumble at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I think if it was any other NFC team (except the Vikings), I could stomach losing after a week or so. But the Bears? That's something else entirely.
    This.

I'm extremely proud of my boys. If they win, it would be more than I dreamed would happen since Jolly got suspended. Every adversity has made them stronger. If they lose this game, I may need to be sedated for a bit, but when I come off the meds, I will remember what I just wrote and go back to being damn proud of my boys. Stellar work this year, but we're not done yet. "We got 8 quarters done, 8 quarters to go..."
    "Greatness is not an act... but a habit.Greatness is not an act... but a habit." -Greg Jennings

Blog Entries
    This is more than a game. This is more than a season. The winner gets eternal bragging rights over it's rival. I mean forever. We could sweep the Bears next season and the season after that and the next 10 that follow and it wouldn't mean a thing if we lose this Sunday. They're still the better franchise if they beat us in the one and only game of this caliber in which we square off against one another. To me and many other fans on both sides of the border this game is bigger than the Super Bowl. So it's personal, as personal as it can get for a fan. We CANNOT lose this game.

This was posted by Gunakor behind the blog and it sums up my feeling exactly as well.
    We CAN NOT lose this game

Not making the playoffs and getting the 25 pick in the draft and all our healthy players back next year may be better than having to live the rest of our lives knowing
    we let the Dam Bears eliminate us and then we have to watch them in the Super Bowl

It's a memory the rest of our lives.

Infinitely Negative Trauma !!!
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by mmmdk View Post
    I think I've learned an important lesson this season; that one guy doesn't necessarily make or break a season. I, hohum, said McCarthy wasn't the man to get us over the hump but he's not that important to the success of the Packers but nonetheless important. Yet with that said, I couldn't possibly imagine Packers winning the Lombardi Trophy without Aaron Rodgers or maybe even Clay Matthews.
    You may still prove to be right. The Packers haven't won anything yet, so you'LL get to crow "I told ya so" with a loss.

Unlike you, I believe M3 has made a huge difference to this team. Under his leadership, Dom Capers has excelled despit starting the season with a different set of faces. The head coach is responsible for good relations with the coodinaters, and clearly, Dom is a man long in the tooth. You don't just call and command that type of personality.

Next, M3 has to restructure his attack; it was absolutely clear that the offensive feature was Finley. So much so, I was rimended of the "Boobie Miles" scenario from Friday Night Lights. M3 achieved the restructuring despite having no security blankett in Ryan Grant after he was lost in game 1.

Finally, any part of the team could have folded at any time. They could have mentally resigned the season to the books and waited for next season to go all out. Lord knows they had plenty of excuses with all the injuries - we fans gave them a free pass to fail miserably!

But M3 kept the ship sailing and (I'm oviously guessing here) led by example. Publicly, he never once used injury as an excuse. Privately, he must have had his doubts, otherwise he arrogant or stupid. I don't think he's either, personally.

Sure he made some bad calls, sure we fans question what Slocum and Campen actually do for the team. Let's remember, though, that Slocum has a tougher job than any, because he's replacing ST players from both sides of the ball, so his teams are hit worse than Dom's or Philbin's.

You might point to Rodgers and CMIII as being the saviours of the season and that's legitimate, but they needed to be coached and put in a system whereby they can be successful, don't they?

Indeed, when I add all this up, I perceive a HC that made all the difference in the world to this season's success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    This is more than a game. This is more than a season. The winner gets eternal bragging rights over it's rival. I mean forever. We could sweep the Bears next season and the season after that and the next 10 that follow and it wouldn't mean a thing if we lose this Sunday. They're still the better franchise if they beat us in the one and only game of this caliber in which we square off against one another. To me and many other fans on both sides of the border this game is bigger than the Super Bowl. So it's personal, as personal as it can get for a fan. We CANNOT lose this game.

This was posted by Gunakor behind the blog and it sums up my feeling exactly as well.
    We CAN NOT lose this game

Not making the playoffs and getting the 25 pick in the draft and all our healthy players back next year may be better than having to live the rest of our lives knowing
    we let the Dam Bears eliminate us and then we have to watch them in the Super Bowl

It's a memory the rest of our lives.

Infinitely Negative Trauma !!!
    Damn bro...

I wasn't nervous or anything.

When i watch the Bears play this year, with all the unimaginable luck they have had this year to even get to the NFC Championship, it honestly really reminds me of the 2007 Packers. EVERYTHING went our way that season, we had all the bounces of the ball go our way, and to be completley honest we werent a very good team at the start of the year in '07, much like the Bears were this year, they looked like they could lose to almost anyone, Seattle for example, and then the Patriot demolition at Soldier Field. But somehow they started playing better in all facets of the game, we couldnt run the ball in 07 until towards the second half of the season, same with the Bears, they didnt really establish anything until the second half. But once they created some consistency, they were able to balance their game a whole lot more, coupled with a few lucky breaks here and their, like the Packers losing to the Lions, Redskins and Dolphins.

What im trying to say is, these guys are like the 2007 Packers and the 2010 Falcons to an extent, they are pretenders who have had a lot of bounces go their way, but like all pretenders they will be revealed for what they are, we have far too much talent to lose this game, special teams isnt going to decide this game, not in the weather we will be expecting down their. There is no chance we lose this game, because we are the 2007 Giants.

I prefer to see the glass as half full, think of how great it would feel to beat da Bears and step over them on the way to the Super Bowl. I would've felt a letdown if the Packers had ended up playing the Sea-hags. All the games will be tough now, time to rise to the occasion.
    Thanks Ted!

Cheese & Beer Rat All-Pro MichiganPackerFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Dont be a dumbass. There is greatness to be missed in losing this game, I agree. That's only because of what it is. PACKERS vs BEAR for a chance at the SB. One of the NFL's elite dream matchups. Goodell probably piss himself with joy at the thought of the ratings. The impressive victories over PHI and ATL have removed any stress I had about this season. It has been a great run and if is meant to end at Chicago Sunday I can say that they got further than expected. I just wanted to see a playoff win. I got to see two. I will be greatly disappointed but I wont be mad. No reason for us to riot.

As long as JJ doesnt fumble at the end.
    As much as it horrifies me to say this: Madtown, the voice of reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlam! View Post
    You may still prove to be right. The Packers haven't won anything yet, so you'LL get to crow "I told ya so" with a loss.

Unlike you, I believe M3 has made a huge difference to this team. Under his leadership, Dom Capers has excelled despit starting the season with a different set of faces. The head coach is responsible for good relations with the coodinaters, and clearly, Dom is a man long in the tooth. You don't just call and command that type of personality.

Next, M3 has to restructure his attack; it was absolutely clear that the offensive feature was Finley. So much so, I was rimended of the "Boobie Miles" scenario from Friday Night Lights. M3 achieved the restructuring despite having no security blankett in Ryan Grant after he was lost in game 1.

Finally, any part of the team could have folded at any time. They could have mentally resigned the season to the books and waited for next season to go all out. Lord knows they had plenty of excuses with all the injuries - we fans gave them a free pass to fail miserably!
    But M3 kept the ship sailing and (I'm oviously guessing here) led by example. Publicly, he never once used injury as an excuse. Privately, he must have had his doubts, otherwise he arrogant or stupid. I don't think he's either, personally.

Sure he made some bad calls, sure we fans question what Slocum and Campen actually do for the team. Let's remember, though, that Slocum has a tougher job than any, because he's replacing ST players from both sides of the ball, so his teams are hit worse than Dom's or Philbin's.

You might point to Rodgers and CMIII as being the saviours of the season and that's legitimate, but they needed to be coached and put in a system whereby they can be successful, don't they?

Indeed, when I add all this up, I perceive a HC that made all the difference in the world to this season's success.
    The fact that McCarthy never used injuries as an excuse is one thing I've commended NUMEROUS times on PR; and why should he? Packers lost a bundle of solid player, a big bundle, yet I believe Rodgers, GJ, DD, Sitton, Clifton, Kuhn, Stark (new shockongly productive starter), Chuck, Tramon, Collins, Peprah (new starter), Clay, Bishop, Hawk, Holden (new guy), BJ Raji, Pickett, Jenkins, Green (new guy) & a solid punter in Mashtay are still playing??? Or Am I missing something.

What the injurries did was force McCarthy to think outside the box as 2 good players in Finley & Grant were lost. Only derailed Packer fans think that Batman/Finley & Robin/Grant would rule the NFL. TT found guys and McCarthy acknowledged that promtly. If McCarthy thought we were done/couldn't win due to these (specifically) injuries then he would be beyond stupid - he'd been kicked into the gutter before anyone could utter "fix it"!

Packers has a GM that cares about winning; and we're damned lucky that our players do too - this could be the product of the Packer people pedigree and the coaches are a big part of that as well.

McCarthy is no Bill Walsh and Aaron Rodgers no Joe Montana but this team will come to play, play to win...it all.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Michael, I have no idea what your rant is supposed to be a position on. I stated in my post clearly that IMO, M3 has done an outstanding job, whereas you have continually maintained he has not. Recently, you've been generous enough to acknowledge that he's learning and improving, but you also state he's less responsible than the players for the team's success. Funny, you still give him the responsibilty for any failure.

How can we possibly know if M3 is no Walsh? Rodgers no Montana? Are you saying that unless a HC wins 3 SB over an 8 year period, he's no Walsh? Guess what, TT hasn't won any SB either, but we see how great he is at putting together a team. Having said that, did M3 have this depth even last year? Should we blame TT for that? The OL still sucks. TT again?

I love your enthusiasm, mate, but I just don't see where you're coming from sometimes.