Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: wow. lots of talk about the running games

Ground Rat

wow. lots of talk about the running games

and the thought is chicago is so much better running the ball

GB 1606 yards 3.8/carry. chicago 1616 yards 3.9/carry

hmm

Atlanta was supposed to win because of their run game, too.

First game between the 2 teams, neither team had a running game. Second game, Forte had some success, running for 91 yards. Stopping him will be one of the keys to the game.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Atlanta was supposed to win because of their run game, too.
    They also had the best WR in the league, a Hall of Fame TE, a pro-bowl kick returner, and a pro-bowl quarterback. Bears have a 1000 yard wide receiver, a tight-end, the best punt returner ever, and a risk taking, strong armed, solid quarterback.

Supposely Forte has averaged 5.0 yards per carry the last 7 games. He also had 8 catches in the last game of the season. Hopefully having Jenkins play this time will help the run defense.

Ground Rat
    having whats left of the D line healthy is going to help a lot. I think we've kinda seen that since Jenkins came back.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers4Glory View Post
    and the thought is chicago is so much better running the ball

GB 1606 yards 3.8/carry. chicago 1616 yards 3.9/carry

hmm
    didn't realize it was that freakin' close.

Ground Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    didn't realize it was that freakin' close.
    me either. I was bored at work waiting on someone so I was on FB arguing w/ bear fans on the "national F**k the Packers week page and did a little research on ESPN's stats page and saw that. Then said bears fan said Tuner sucked all season, atlanta is a passing team, and Forte is better and since he had a good game vs the jets the bears will win.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Supposely Forte has averaged 5.0 yards per carry the last 7 games. He also had 8 catches in the last game of the season. Hopefully having Jenkins play this time will help the run defense.
    Jenkins was getting shoved around versus Atlanta. Hopefully, he is still getting his sea legs back.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

The Bear run game scares me a little....that and Hester.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Who cares.

When GB tries to stop the run, they stuff it. Dom plays nickel even against run personnel. They aren't actually trying to run, they are trying to "keep the defense honest" to set up PA. Dom is dishonest. GB played more nickel in '10 than any other team, by a huge margin. And GB was the best team against PA passing. By a huge margin. Runs don't gash GB for explosive plays that set up scores. They make 2nd/3rd down manageable, that about it. Dom runs the ultimate white elephant D. GB is one of the best in the league at stuffing short yardage runs (#2), one of the best in the league at not allowing TD's, and well above average at not allowing first downs via the run. Odd for a team that is one of the league's worst at YPA. LOL.

Welcome back Waldo.

Any conversation about our running game this season is moot. I'm surprised we gained 1600 yards on the ground this season. Having Starks changes everything.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    Who cares.

When GB tries to stop the run, they stuff it. Dom plays nickel even against run personnel. They aren't actually trying to run, they are trying to "keep the defense honest" to set up PA. Dom is dishonest. GB played more nickel in '10 than any other team, by a huge margin. And GB was the best team against PA passing. By a huge margin. Runs don't gash GB for explosive plays that set up scores. They make 2nd/3rd down manageable, that about it. Dom runs the ultimate white elephant D. GB is one of the best in the league at stuffing short yardage runs (#2), one of the best in the league at not allowing TD's, and well above average at not allowing first downs via the run. Odd for a team that is one of the league's worst at YPA. LOL.
    Damn I never thought about that. DCap is a ruthless mofo.

The #2 ranking is cool but not surprising cuz it does seem like the opposing offenses on 3rd & short gets stopped most of the time. Gives the kind of confidence that make you wanna bet your life savings on the game. I think I will have to do a lil something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    Who cares.

Sure you show up now with this Waldo! But two months ago when I was trying to sort it out, everyone wanted to blame injuries. Sometime in the month after that thread, McGinn finally coughed up a number like 16%: as in, the Packers had played base D 16% of snaps in the entire season.

But do you think he is doing it because he has that much faith in nickel run D OR because he knows Woodson in the slot and Shields outside is a far better matchup than any 3rd lineman?

Or is McGinn right that he is protecting Wood from playing outside?
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-20-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by OS PA View Post
    They also had the best WR in the league, a Hall of Fame TE, a pro-bowl kick returner, and a pro-bowl quarterback. Bears have a 1000 yard wide receiver, a tight-end, the best punt returner ever, and a risk taking, strong armed, solid quarterback.
    Who is the 1000 yard receiver on the Bears?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Sure you show up now with this Waldo! But two months ago when I was trying to sort it out, everyone wanted to blame injuries. Sometime in the month after that thread, McGinn finally coughed up a number like 16%: as in, the Packers had played base D 16% of snaps in the entire season.

But do you think he is doing it because he has that much faith in nickel run D OR because he knows Woodson in the slot and Shields outside is a far better matchup than any 3rd lineman?

Or is McGinn right that he is protecting Wood from playing outside?
    I just thought they were hip to the Kovash/Leavitt paper "Professionals don't play Minimax" and are going pass-heavy and pass-defense heavy as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    because he knows Woodson in the slot and Shields outside is a far better matchup than any 3rd lineman?
    My guess is this is closest to the right answer. Capers just wants to have Shields on the field taking away that deep threat and allowing Woodson to move all over the place. The rookie is just too talented to not have out there consistently. Without a 3rd corner, Woodson has to play outside, which, he can do, but isn't as much of a strength at this point in his career.

Hey Waldo,

I hadn't noticed it too much, but another poster mentioned Dom playing a lot of 3-3 nickle instead of the 2-4 nickle we're used to. Have you observed that or have stats to show that?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    Hey Waldo,

I hadn't noticed it too much, but another poster mentioned Dom playing a lot of 3-3 nickle instead of the 2-4 nickle we're used to. Have you observed that or have stats to show that?
    Who are the three DL in this formation? Jenkins/Raji/Pickett?

Green/Raji/Pickett
    Jenkins/Raji/Pickett
    Green/Raji/Wilson
    Wynn/Raji/Wilson

I don't know who it's been. . . I've noticed Wynn, Wilson, Green, Pickett and Jenkins throughout the weeks. I just haven't noticed if they were on the field in a group of three and Woodson at rover.